little giant substitute

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
any other propane heaters on the market now? Someone has got to make something more advanced than the LGs

Reactions: Giorgio

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Propane works great but all the extra hassle that comes with those heaters like, maintaining, lighting, monitoring consumption and filling just make it impractical.

I think LG are the best choice if you must use propane. We used several different hot water generators but none that were any better. Paloma was on several units but they were no better.

HE is your best bet. Get away from secondary fuels for hot water.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
@Desk Jockey HX is good if its a new brand new unit with a warranty.. but when those things leak or break its such a pain. The Judson will really never need replacing but soon I am planning to install a 56 blower and a larger motor but keep it all running on propane. I just want a better heater at the same time.

Little giants are pretty reliable but they could be a lot better

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The only unit I have seen besides the lg is Bob Savages unit. I don't know if you can buy one but his was around 240,000 btu's. I think he also had an auto igniter.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
@Desk Jockey HX is good if its a new brand new unit with a warranty.. but when those things leak or break its such a pain. The Judson will really never need replacing but soon I am planning to install a 56 blower and a larger motor but keep it all running on propane. I just want a better heater at the same time.

Little giants are pretty reliable but they could be a lot better
Steam Genie made their own back when they were around but they looked like LG knock offs.

I ran propane for decades but once we bought HE, was glad to move past that source of heat.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I'm running my Dads LG, over 20yrs old (dont know exactly)

never cleaned jets, replaced the unitrol once

rewelded the bottom twice (forgot to disconnect it doing tile as its only rated to 600psi)

replace the thermocoupling bout every year

acid flush it every 6 months

not sure what is problematic with them?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm running my Dads LG, over 20yrs old (dont know exactly)

never cleaned jets, replaced the unitrol once

rewelded the bottom twice (forgot to disconnect it doing tile as its only rated to 600psi)

replace the thermocoupling bout every year

acid flush it every 6 months

not sure what is problematic with them?
🤔 other than your list?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
how often do you flush a hx?

the thermocoupling is a $15 part and 10min job not bad for once a year on average

Unitrol I think was around $600? But not bad on a 20yr old unit

blowing the bottom out was purely operator error

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

the thermocoupling is a $15 part and 10min job not bad for once a year on average

Unitrol valve is about $140 usd. That's a hell of a shipping charge.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

It really depends on several factors, one major being the hardness of the water you use. I think our city water is moderately hard. However we carry our water and it is soft water from the system in our building.

Using super hot water often cooks the chemicals out of solution and even water breaks down from excessive heat. We clean with hot water but generally no more than 220.

Last step chemical injection also limits what is in the pressure system. I actually can't remember when we last had a unit that needed descaled. But we do everything we can to prevent the problem rather than leaving it to chance.

roro

Name
Ross Craig
any other propane heaters on the market now? Someone has got to make something more advanced than the LGs
Try these guys - think this is the heater Duane used on our Predator truckmounts - they have been quite reliable units just needing control valve replacement
Silver Eagle Hot Water Pressure Washer 4000 PSI @ 5 GPM ...
Silver Eagle Hot Water Pressure Washer 4000 PSI @ 5 GPM Propane Heated. Hydro-Chem Systems (HCS) is a leading manufacturer and provider of customized automated vehicle-wash systems, detergents ...

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Back many years ago we also had Truckmounts with propane.

My brothers and I would rock, paper, scissors as to who would have to go light them.

Click, click, click, click, click, click.........

WOOF!!!!!

It was years before we had hair on our arms and had eyebrows...

Having to go out and re-light if got blown out.... Ugh :frown:

The first heat exchanger units we got were Heaven....

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
The only unit I have seen besides the lg is Bob Savages unit. I don't know if you can buy one but his was around 240,000 btu's. I think he also had an auto igniter.

I should still offer our LP heater. It is 240,000 BTU (you don't need any more than that), auto light and re-light if the wind were ever to blow it out, flow switch sensitive enough for house pressure to operate it, and the afterburner circuit that keeps the burn on for 20 seconds after you pull the trigger so it doesn't cycle on and off every time you pull/release the wand trigger.

It is the best heat source available IMO for a truckmount because it is super hot, even heat all day long even for dual wands without using any diverters, bypasses, no dumping of water to control heat, etc. Both of my LP heaters are over 15 years old and require almost no maintenance. They have a simple top cap and no need to vent outside the vehicle. BY using LP heat your truckmount just became a lot simpler in design and efficiency.

It is no hassle to stop and get it filled about every 10 days depending on your work load. Propane is one of the cleanest burning fuels. The BEST part is you can clean all day long and adjust how much heat you want by turning the dial depending on the job you are doing.

There is nothing on the truckmount blocking airflow to capture heat from here and there like HE capture, so the vacuum system is free flowing from the blower discharge side.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

lta

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
HX is OK if you are only going to keep a unit 5 years. But once all of those propietary parts wear out and rust out they are too much hassle. Then if the company goes out of business or parts become obsolete you are screwed.

I somehow managed to squeeze 14 years out of a White Magic Commander by stripping it down to nothing but bare essentials. Dealing with the constant overheating and problems was just too much for me. Love my propane now on my TCS, and if I ever have to replace a major component it will be a breeze. And if you use a grill lighter there is no reason to walk around with no eyebrows.

Not to mention we have a propane dealer on every corner in my area.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
my first unit was propane... 4ht equivalent
Never had any blow-ups or flame ups with it
But high winds were a PITA
and so was stopping for propane here

as long as the operator doesn't have a brain fart, and follows safety procedures/protocol, they're safe

brain farts though can be catastrophic
and not the best choice for crew vans

..L.T.A.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
my first unit was propane... 4ht equivalent
Never had any blow-ups or flame ups with it
But high winds were a PITA
and so was stopping for propane here

as long as the operator doesn't have a brain fart, and follows safety procedures/protocol, they're safe

brain farts though can be catastrophic
and not the best choice for crew vans

..L.T.A.
That is why the automatic ignition is the only way to go.

Set up and flip one toggle switch, and the heater is ON.

FredC

Village Idiot
Try these guys - think this is the heater Duane used on our Predator truckmounts - they have been quite reliable units just needing control valve replacement
Silver Eagle Hot Water Pressure Washer 4000 PSI @ 5 GPM Propane Heated. Hydro-Chem Systems (HCS) is a leading manufacturer and provider of customized automated vehicle-wash systems, detergents ...
I think they went out of biz a few years ago

Name
BradFenstermaker
If your pilot light is not aligned right you get the flash when lighting.

Burner maintenance is 15 mins tops if you keep tools together just for this on the truck.

Couple of line wrenches for swapping unitrol and thermocouple.

You could try tweaking the regulator for more heat. Cant remember if it clockwise or counterclockwise.
Pull the black cap and theres a screw. Make note of where it sits and keep count of turns so you can put back.
Only do 1 or 2 turns and test while cleaning

I can maintain 210-220 on my 1999 #3.
09 flow 450psi.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
diesel is the way to go, less maintanance, efficient uses easy to acquire and cheap fuel.View attachment 86576View attachment 86577
Diesel is good, but it must be vented outside, which is easier to do in a box truck than it is in a van.

The auto LP only needs 3 amps to run, whereas diesel needs close to 20 amps if I am not mistaken because it is not gravity fed and it has a blower.

Our LP heater will maintain 280º with #12 flow wand. - which is insane and should never be necessary - LP burner ring has 32 #68 burner jets!

Last edited:
Reactions: Acp and Cleanworks

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I'm running one of Duanes Predators too, that doesnt look like the same burner It originally had?

The original burner is a heat monster but the controller crapped out and the flow switch kept sticking. (water hardness issue)

It was hard trying to track parts for it so I went bank to running the LG, even though nowhere the performance its enough for an 8 flow wand and more

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom