Long time wand stroker's first impressions of a rotovac...

6 gal. unheated porty, 300 psi and dual 3 stage vacs in series, normally using 2 jet wand, no glides.
1 Rotovac is heavy
2 Rotovac is one more thing to plug in and trip over.
3 Rotovac doesn't fit in tight places.
4 Rotovac foot switch a little awkward to reach at times
5 Rotovac uses a bit more water than a 2 jet running @ 300 psi

When I squeeze the trigger on a 2 jet wand, the pump drops from about 330 psi down to about 250 psi. When I squeeze the trigger on the Rotovac, it drops to about 200 psi. I suppose my water consumption would be higher if I got a 3 jet wand.

I have been considering getting a 3 jet PMF wand for my 12 gallon heated porty that has a 500 psi pump. I don't like the 12 gallon for residential jobs, I climb too many stairs in old 2-3 family houses with no driveways and unlikely to have parking in the front of the building available. One of the reasons I will not get a truck mount, I'm not into pulling 2" hose 200-300+ feet and I know an entry level TM sucking that far isn't going to have any more than my dual cord porty.

Anyhow, back to the Rotovac. Moderately dirty cleaning of 3 bedrooms. This was an estate job. The departed probably vacuumed less and less often and stopped a few months before her death, but being a widow, there was absolutely no greasy traffic lanes that I am used to seeing. This was ordinary dirt and men don't wipe their feet.
Was the Rotovac faster? I don't know. Was the Rotovac doing a better job? Well water consumption was up slightly, but water recovery was as good as one wet stroke and two dry stokes with my 2 jet. Then again, that's the way I did the Rotovac, one wet, two dry. I'd say inconclusive. I would like to see it on a larger, wide open commercial job with my 12 gal, heat and more psi. It could very well shine there, but this job, nothing screamed this was that much better.

It is an original style. I got it used for $200 from my janitorial supply house, not a carpet cleaning supply house. I don't think they even understood what it was or what it cost. Would I pay what I see them going for new or even used most of the time? So far, not a chance in hell. I may still flip it in a few weeks.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
If its a clean job jus wand it.

But if there is a ded guy in the carpet, you'll appreciate it.

Put a size or two smaller jets in it and the porty will be able to keep up.

An I know what ya paid for it peckerhed : )

Name
Brad Gouveia
When I had a Roto it was not really faster unless it was very, very dirty. The main reason is it was a water hog, so I took me longer to fill and dump. So I would only us the Roto if it was bad or maybe just on the traffic lanes. I would wand the rest as it was faster. It is a nice tool to have when things get bad, for $200 you cant go wrong.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I bought the original rotovac powerwand in 2002. It cleans faster then a wand and better, but only on nasty carpets. I only use it for the worst and it just blows through them. The wand is a much better choice for most carpets. Until you get a zipper.

gene

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
The original Rotovac I did not like. I sold it quickly after purchasing it. That being said the new Rotovac 360i is awesome for residential carpet and definitely cleans better and much faster on moderate to heavily deep down soiled carpets

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
That old one is molasses
Cleans fast for me. 300 psi scalding hot water. I demoed the trex for a week on some real nasties and it cleaned and left the carpet very dry, zipper dry, but I didn't find it faster than my rotovac. I can use the rotovac with one hand and it has 0 torque. The hardest part of the rotovac is the tube gets so hot You cant touch it. Training is less than a minute. Priceless

Gene

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
are7aza9.jpg

I flushed the crap outta this wit da Roto Rooter 360i, then edged n dry stroked it all w the wand.

45min from arrival to drivin off w some lolly gaggin in between : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
are7aza9.jpg

I flushed the crap outta this wit da Roto Rooter 360i, then edged n dry stroked it all w the wand.

45min from arrival to drivin off w some lolly gaggin in between : )

Did that guy who was hawkin' you offer to help drag hose?

The Clean Machine

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
You're kind of short too, like me. It looks like that wand is on the long side. Does that bother you on big jobs/long days?

The Clean Machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Talking about getting wands to suit a person's height.
Beside Joe Bristor, anybody else have taller or lower wands?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Nah, thats the Owner : )

GreenHorn dot bother me that long. Works well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom