Machine Shut down, fuel problems.....

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
So be sure to READ the whole thing before you answer...cuz i know some one is going to say something like "do you have gas in it??"

So its an everest, and has been running like a champ, only worked Last monday for about 4 hrs, and was just fine.....Had a job Saturday about 30 min into it, it just shuts down....I was thinking hummmm over heat?? no radiator and antifreeze were fine...ok turn the key fuel pump working.....10 min later again....hummmmm....look over it again, everything looks fine, this happened about 3 more times, finally had my dad go grab a new fuel pump..

When he left, i took the outlet house off, and it kind of sputtered out fuel, then smoothed out...OK get it running..... somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus

30 mins later dies :x :x ....ok put on new fuel pump...fixed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ...........................30 mins later, dies again :shock: :shock: :x :x

Call Tim from on the board, he comes over and we play the game a few more times, runs for about 20 mins, then dies, then every 5 min :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x ......so we use his machine for a bit....

Heres your info...

Unhooked from the carb back at different connecting points, no fuel

even right at the pump.....

took the draw tube off the T (other side is the return back to the tank A 12 gallon marine type tank) Put it straight in the tank...now we have fuel.... :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Go back to using my machine, runs fine for the rest of job...2 hrs

So i figure draw tube plugged...nope

T plugged....nope, cleaned both out, wire wheeled them, new teflon, air hosed them out

Bought all new fuel and return line, mounted fuel pump under boxtruck (to make sure its cool and below tank)

Ran it at home for ehhhh 20-30 mins, all is fine...

Tonight, get into it 30mins, SHUTS DOWN AGAIN :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

took lead off of T right into tank AND IT FREAKING WORKS FOR THE NEXT 4 HRS :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

WTF is going on???????

filter on pump is new

filter up by carb is like 10-15 hrs old...

Why does it work being put right into the gas, and not by using the draw tube with the return???

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Is the vent valve on the boat tank working??

if the vent isn't open, you create a vacuum in the tank as the fuel is drawn

open the lid on the tank next time and see if the TM will run then

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I posted this almost a year ago...SEARCH my GREMLIN POST.... :idea:

Could be ...the ethanol...in fuel...!!!

I posted 6 months ago...You gentlemen up NORTH...should be PREPARED for this gReMlIn..

Be prepared to CHANGE out your fuel pumps..Every six months ..or ..Every 300 to 500 hours.!

DON'T..forget to change out the rubber fuel lines...!!!

Do it as a "preventive maintenance"..procedure...just like changing your oil...

The ethanol ..degrades ..any rubber o-rings in the carb,fuel lines,fuel filters, "which effects"
plugs, points,...any thing that the fuel touches....

You HAVE ..fuel & fire or she would not run...

Before you start Changing PARTS....over haul the fuel system.."You may Be Surprised."

ps..if this does NOT solve the problem...Check for a bad ground..voltage regulator..loose
wires on the "back" of the ignition switch..."Over time they can vibrate loose..."

John Olson

Name
John Olson
How much time have you wasted Doug? At what point does it become cheaper to just take it to the professionals to fix..... Ivebeensold

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Doug,

When you get your SHUT-DOWN.....Do you have to wait for the unit to COOL DOWN...

Before it will start... :?:

If so....As soon as it SHUTS DOWN....pull the COIL WIRE..off.... :!:

THen hold it ACROSS the COIL & see if you have a BLUE ARC...."While cranking the engine" :!:
If the ARC is weak or yellow .....IT IS YOU COIL OVERHEATING after 20 t0 30 minutes.. :idea:

THIS WAS MY ISSUE... :evil:
The oil in the COIL would "overheat" at aprox. 20 minutes... :shock:

Replace the COIL..."cheap"...And try to relocate away from the "engine block"... !gotcha!

Ps You can run a fan..directly on the coil "IN THIS HOT WEATHER"..and this will STOP the issue..! All will be FINE when the weather COOLs DOWN... shiteatinggrin

pss..Disconnect the "ENGINE TEMP SENSOR" located in the "top" rear of the engine...GREEN WIRE...! LOTS OF FUN CHASING THIS GREMLIN...call me if I can help... :mrgreen:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Had the same situation with my old 405 Performer...carburated. I had a few weeks where it would run perfect, then shut down and no start. Let it set, would start right up. After ALMOST throwing a match to it, I found, by accident, the hot wire to the coil was broken, but barely hanging on to the connector. When it would heat up, the wire would pull loose, shutting down the machine. Made a new connection, and never had a problem again. Also recrimped most all the other connections, just in case.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
rwcarpet said:
Had the same situation with my old 405 Performer...carburated. I had a few weeks where it would run perfect, then shut down and no start. Let it set, would start right up. After ALMOST throwing a match to it, I found, by accident, the hot wire to the coil was broken, but barely hanging on to the connector. When it would heat up, the wire would pull loose, shutting down the machine. Made a new connection, and never had a problem again. Also recrimped most all the other connections, just in case.

This was the issue a few weeks ago, when i thought it needed a tune up....after tune up no rough run...just no run.. Looked at the picture of the spark plug wires (so i put them back right shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin ) and saw the terminal had just broke.....held it to it while the wife turned it over wahla....

Meats makes the most sense (and is the easiest to try quickly) so i will try that on my job(s) tomorrow....today is hard floor jobs.....

John.....with the trip (time and fuel) down, and the day or 2 for you guys to look at it (you know the famous take the vehicle to the shop and it works fine for mechanic...yea well i am a magnet for that type of shit to happen) not enough yet....i get it fixed enough to finish...

Thanks everyone

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
floorguy said:
Meats makes the most sense (and is the easiest to try quickly) so i will try that on my job(s) tomorrow....today is hard floor jobs.....

that's cause the others didn't follow instructions to READ THE WHOLE POST

he's using a boat tank

It runs fine when the line is stuck in an open tank.
Only chokes when drawing from a closed tank

vent the tank.
every boat tank I've seen, the vent is on the gas cap .
maybe it screwed closed or clOgged with corn syrup...er.... eThAnoL

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
MeAt IS A lAwNMoWEr ENjine..MEcHAnICk...... :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wE ARE TALKING ABOUT A "real engine"...HERE.... shiteatinggrin

RW & I...will wait...for your NEXT POST..... :mrgreen:

ps. HOPE THAT FIXED IT>>>!!!!!!!! 8)

Name
I'm Rick James
* Check to see if the stator wire is far away from the flywheel

* Meats suggest is most likely right

* Bad magneto...failing coil or ignition module

* Fuel filter clogged

* Bad shut off switch

joe harper

Name
joe harper
puscifeR said:

* Fuel filter clogged

* Bad shut off switch

A-12 0r A-15...4 cyl. Nissan...in his EVEREST... :!:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
meAt said:
HARPER said:
wE ARE TALKING ABOUT A "real engine"...HERE....

That's STARVING for fuEl...with or without the grAin alcOhOl mOOnshinE additive !gotcha!

..L.T.A.

Maybe.....?????

But if it was STARVING for fuel / It should "SpiT or SpuTTer"...while starving for the last drop...
If it is a DEAD STOP......"NO FIrE".... :idea:

Fuel pump is located on the frame rail...just above the HX.... :shock:
I relocated my Fuel Pump...closer to the MARINE TANK..by the Waste Tank...HUGE DIFFERANCE
in TEMP... !gotcha!

These lil fuel pumps..should be positioned as CLOSE to the fuel source as possible....!
They can "PUSH" fuel 25 ft ...NO PROBLEM...!
BUT they can't "PULL" fuel ...6 ft worth a ShItE... :oops: PLUS it is 3 ft UPHILL to the CARB...!

NOTE: If he is STILL running the original Fuel Pump...? It is MECHANICAL mounted on the engine...I replaced ALL of our units with "electric fuel pumps"....years ago..!

Name
I'm Rick James
HARPER said:
puscifeR said:

* Fuel filter clogged

* Bad shut off switch

Thought is was a kohler..

*capacitor discharge ignitor..bad crankshaft position sensor?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
puscifeR said:
HARPER said:
puscifeR said:

* Fuel filter clogged

* Bad shut off switch

Thought is was a kohler..

*capacitor discharge ignitor..bad crankshaft position sensor?

NISSANS....never fAiL..obviosly "opEraToR fAilUrE".... :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
HERES the solution to yor dilemma.......

bestfrontmachine.jpg

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
HARPER said:
meAt said:
HARPER said:
wE ARE TALKING ABOUT A "real engine"...HERE....

That's STARVING for fuEl...with or without the grAin alcOhOl mOOnshinE additive !gotcha!

..L.T.A.

Maybe.....?????

But if it was STARVING for fuel / It should "SpiT or SpuTTer"...while starving for the last drop...
If it is a DEAD STOP......"NO FIrE".... :idea:

Fuel pump is located on the frame rail...just above the HX.... :shock:
I relocated my Fuel Pump...closer to the MARINE TANK..by the Waste Tank...HUGE DIFFERANCE
in TEMP... !gotcha!

These lil fuel pumps..should be positioned as CLOSE to the fuel source as possible....!
They can "PUSH" fuel 25 ft ...NO PROBLEM...!
BUT they can't "PULL" fuel ...6 ft worth a ShItE... :oops: PLUS it is 3 ft UPHILL to the CARB...!

NOTE: If he is STILL running the original Fuel Pump...? It is MECHANICAL mounted on the engine...I replaced ALL of our units with "electric fuel pumps"....years ago..!
Joe, his fuel pump is an electric one mounted on the floor of his box truck right next to his fuel tank, It does sound like it is the vent cap on the fuel tank because it is the boat fuel tank.

Harper helped me out.

My fuel line had a supply line from the tank and a return line that is supposed to go to the filler neck or tank, but my return line was run back to the supply line. The fuel was overheating, but that alone was not all that was wrong.

My machine is EFI. IF there is a problem, I will get an error code.

My machine would also shut down on all settings except low.

After months of trouble shooting, the throttle body flap was sticking. A little WD-40 and not a problem since and that was like two years ago.

I would check the throttle body.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Have you completely cleaned out and refilled the tank with fresh gas?
I had a similar problem with my generator when I first bought it.
It would do the same exact thing. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was impeding the gas flow. One thing I have always done when trouble shooting a fuel problem with any machine is to switch to clear gas line so you can actually SEE if gas is flowing as it should.
My problem turned out to be several small pieces of sandpaper floating around inside the gas tank. I could only guess it was left there from the factory. It would float around in the tank until it got caught on the draw tube.
Engine would stall, no more draw, sandpaper would float away. Gas line imidiately filled back up with no problem. Started fine, ran fine until one of those little pieces again found its way to the draw tube again. Because of the design of the tank, you could not see to the bottom, but I was so sure there was something in there, I emptied it out and took a 2 inch hole saw to it right above the draw tube, looked in to see little pieces of sandpaper sitting right around the draw tube on the inside of the tank.
Make sure there are no floaties in there.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
if i am not right in the middle of go time.... I am planning on emptying the tank rinsing it out, and air drying it.....dunno bout floaties, but there is starting to get the natural sediment in there....vehicle tanks must be NASTY :shock:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom