Magic Jack

B

Bill G. Martin

Thinking of switching over for my residential telephone. Anyone using Magic Jack? Any trouble keeping your old number???

ErikG

I have it , im forwarding the tampa area code to my cell. Pretty cool for 30 -40 bucks yr

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I bought one but am waiting until august when I can port my number

Noidios

Name
Russ Zinck
It worked great with Windows Vista. When I upgraded to Windows 7 magic jack really, really messed up my system. If something goes wrong with your installation, the software is nearly impossible to uninstall.

Tony Dees

I have it on 7 and it works fine. Theres just a low hum in the line, but is barely noticable.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Installed mine today only to find out that I'll be sending it back (we'll see how good their guarantee is).

If you live in a large city, you'll probably be OK, but if you live out in a rural community like me everyone who calls you will be a long distance call for them.
It's like this;
I live in Seminole (about 60 miles from OKC). When I registered my Majicjack I was given a choice of area codes for my state. OK, no big deal. But then I had to pick from a list of predetermined prefixes (the first 3 numbers you dial). I had to choose between OKC, Stillwater (80 miles away) or Moore, Ok (60 miles away). So, if the lady who lives next door to me wanted to call me she would have to call an OKC phone number (long distance for her).

I'm sure Majicjack will work out great for some people, but for me it's a total bust.

Oh, and they don't give all this info on their website. You only find out once you recieve it. Plus, if you want to get a "Vanity" number, it's another $10. If you want to pick your last 4 digits from a list of available numbers, it cost another $3. And then it takes about 10 clicks of refusing their upgrades to get thru the registration process without purchasing anything extra.
It's a total joke for those of us living in rural areas. I wish they would have made that more clear on their website.

Anyway, it's just not gonna work for me. Hope it helps someone else though.

James

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom