Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Mytee T-Rex

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Let me preface by saying I’m just an owner op with a summer helper but Id like to hire a full time tech in the spring.

I’ve worked hard building a good reputation in my area and know how fast that can go down the drain if you’re not careful when you send someone out to represent your company. Now I understand that the person’s personality/training will have the biggest effect on whether people are satisfied with his work but right now I’d like to talk about the equipment and cleaning procedure aspect.

Way back someone, maybe Steve T. , posted about requiring an RX20 on every job to ensure a consistent quality and got me thinking about the best way for me to accomplish the same thing.

I feel like it can be accomplished by either mechanical agitation (175, CRB, etc) prior to wanding or with a rotary extractor like an rx, trex, hoss 360i, etc.

Right now I use a sebo for light soiling and my 175 for medium to heavy soiling. I think that if i have an option like that for a tech they are going to tend to grab the sebo maybe a little more often than they should because of it’s light weight and ease of use, I would rather there just not be an option, every job gets the same, but I worry that asking a tech to lug in a 175 on every job might be too much to ask so I’m wondering if a true crb with their added weight over the sebo might be a good compromise between the 175 and the sebo? Can a crb scrub followed by a wand clean a rat nasty as good as a 175 then wand?

Then again for about the same price as a crb i can get a trex or a 360i or for just a little more a hoss so maybe one of those are the answer? I cleaned with an original 360 that I bought used for about a month before I broke it and it did clean great but I’m thinking lower learning curve with the crb/wand combo plus more durable plus not having to bring in extra equipment to edge plus i think the crb/wand would be faster especially for a two man team.

Sorry so long but to sum it up, I plan to require mechanical agitation on every job should i accomplish that by a 175 with various pads/brushes or with a crb or with a rotary extractor?
<!--EndFragment-->

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I voted 360i but dont really care what rotary, all the same to me. The reason is in this economy i want keep my costs down as much as possible, adding steps doesn't accomplish that.
If you vacuum with a good vac like a conquest {or whatever} that will brush out most of the hair.

Mikey P

Administrator
The 360i's head won't snap off, it's bolts won't rust out or its faux chrome plating won't peel off in a couple months. Nor will it give you a 110 shock when you adjust the speed while running. Much more seem friendly too. Much lighter weight so your boys will actually use it too.

Reactions: Russ T. and joey895

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I plan to require mechanical agitation on every job

If it doesn't need to be scrubbed, why scrub it? Does a lightly soiled carpet really need agitation? Every job... All these rotary machines can't get corners/next to the wall very well. So, you will need to use the wand anyways, don't ya?

Myself, I'd get what ever is the fastest. I've seen vids of the crb thing, looks like it's easy to use/not brake/did a great job. With a tech I'b too worried they are going to brake sh#t, mine or the custy's with a $2500 rotary.

Reactions: joey895

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Any of the procedures and methods described above will work.

However, making sure that your employees actually do them and do it correctly, now that's where the challenge lies.

What did you find works best for you?
And true to owners, doubly right for employees, the harder, heavier, more complicated & difficult it is to do, the more tempting (and rewarding) it will be not to do it.

Last edited:

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Yes, every job. Reason being that I don't want a tech deciding what jobs are "light" soiling for fear that most every job will become "light" soiling so they don't have to perform the extra step. That's also why I'm concerned with using something that's not too difficult to bring in and use.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
If you want to make sure the employees scrub the carpet when need. ( The client with the consultation of the tech should decide the need) Then pay the tech for the extra scrubbing. Should be worth 20-40 dollars in the techs pocket.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
If you want to make sure the employees scrub the carpet when need. ( The client with the consultation of the tech should decide the need) Then pay the tech for the extra scrubbing. Should be worth 20-40 dollars in the techs pocket.

That's not what I want. I want every job scrubbed in some manner, its one of the things that separates me from the other cleaners in my town. I also don't want the techs deciding when to scrub or not, if I was a tech and was getting an extra $20-40 to scrub I'd suddenly need to scrub every job and that's not the point.

Why no RX-20, king of the rotaries, in the poll?

RX-20 is not one that I'm considering. I recognize its king when it comes to commercial but I feel the others would be better for residential which is my primary concern. My cimex is my tool of choice for commercial, whether on its own or as a pre scrub.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Jay_wat

Supportive Member
Name
Jay Watson
Use what you have,, have them use the 175 to scrub then wand,, I tried the Sebo, tossed it in with the other equipment I don't use,, I use a crb if needed,, Sebo is to light, the 175 will get the agitation you want over a Sebo,,

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I use a 12" Oreck on most of my resi jobs. The #1 reason a 175 doesn't come into the house is because IT'S TOO FREAKING HEAVY!!! A smaller machine can be carried in at the same time as the hoses or wand and it WILL get used. Frankly a 175 is too big for resi jobs and the smaller machine is easers to get in bathroom and between the pathways between sofas and tables.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Reality is, Joey, it's the man, not the machine .
In 90 degree temps, a loaded schedule and the last job of the day...it takes a rare individual to stay the course

and use the best chems available regardless of cost

.L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
OH YEA..pee ess..

a rotary scrub with 100 pound machine and aggressive pad, while using quality chems in sufficient quantity , followed by a thorough flush/rinse extract will out clean anything in the world .
NOTHING is better ..NOTHING

However, as Yoakum mentioned, it's too big and heavy for res
and I'll add, it's WAY OVERKILL for 96.78% of all res jobs

if a 100% pre-scrub (with CRB or other) is your claim to fame, stay with it...but a good tech HAS to be able to know (and make the decision) when he needs a sledgehammer (the big roto) or a dog 'n pony show "fluff" with a light duty CRB

..L.T.A.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
In 90 degree temps, a loaded schedule and the last job of the day...it takes a rare individual to stay the course.

The best way to eliminate this problem is to have 2 man crews. It prevents burn out. the jobs go easier, you can make far more money per job, do more jobs in a day and clients love 2 man crews.WE all know how to step up a 2 man crew. 1 mans goes through through job with the client while the other sets up and brings in the equipment. 1 works the wand while the other scrubs, does special spotting and moves furniture. ! gets the check and goes over after care instruction while the other tears down equipment.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
a rotary scrub with 100 pound machine and aggressive pad, while using quality chems in sufficient quantity , followed by a thorough flush/rinse extract will out clean anything in the world .

I completely disagree.

scrub and wand with ant combination of brush or pads and ANY wand WILL NOT OUT CLEAN a HOSS or RV360i

and any time you want to show up at a MF, I'll whip yo' ass.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Hi Joey. We use our RX-20's for residential exclusively, rarely for commercial.

Maybe I should be considering an Rx then. I've never used one I was simply going by what I've read on the boards over the years. Do you guys use it on every job?

Use what you have,, have them use the 175 to scrub then wand,, I tried the Sebo, tossed it in with the other equipment I don't use,, I use a crb if needed,, Sebo is to light, the 175 will get the agitation you want over a Sebo,,

I agree on the sebo, I really only use it on the jobs that could probably go without scrubbing at all. I guess the big question is how does the crb compare to the 175 as a pre scrubber?

I use a 12" Oreck on most of my resi jobs. The #1 reason a 175 doesn't come into the house is because IT'S TOO FREAKING HEAVY!!! A smaller machine can be carried in at the same time as the hoses or wand and it WILL get used. Frankly a 175 is too big for resi jobs and the smaller machine is easers to get in bathroom and between the pathways between sofas and tables.

The 175 is not too heavy for me but it certainly may be too heavy to ask an employee to use on every job that's why I'm asking about alternatives. I could consider a smaller 175 or oreck I suppose.

In 90 degree temps, a loaded schedule and the last job of the day...it takes a rare individual to stay the course

and use the best chems available regardless of cost

.L.T.A.

I agree, that's why I don't want a process that's too difficult but I would like to come as close as possible to guaranteeing a consistent quality.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper

However, as Yoakum mentioned, it's too big and heavy for res
and I'll add, it's WAY OVERKILL for 96.78% of all res jobs

if a 100% pre-scrub (with CRB or other) is your claim to fame, stay with it...but a good tech HAS to be able to know (and make the decision) when he needs a sledgehammer (the big roto) or a dog 'n pony show "fluff" with a light duty CRB

Pretty much spot on, imo.

When I think of some 20 year old kid, bringing in a 100lbs floor machine and setting it down on Mrs Simths tile or up her stairs it scares the doop outta me!

I like your thinking on trying to get a tech/techs to be consistent, same for all custys. The rotary would help w/that, no prescrub might save some time.

How many techs/vans do you have now, Joe?

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes I have
Leaves the carpet too wet.

and unless you plan on making 160 passes per minute with your POS 802 wand, you don't stand a chance, even if I cleaned with BioClean.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Maybe I should be considering an Rx then. I've never used one I was simply going by what I've read on the boards over the years.

one word, Joey..."board de jour"
I guess that's three words

the RX is a tank ..built like one, not like the light duty de jour favorites .
It's biggest draw back is dry times , there's no question about it's cleaning ability though, nor it's longevity/durability

I guess the big question is how does the crb compare to the 175 as a pre scrubber?

a rotary kicks it's ass all over the carpet for shearing soil off the fiber.
the CRB digs crud better , but doesn't shear soil as well

..L.T.A.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Shit, I've only scrubbed like 5 times in 8 years, and can't be busier.. I would say the best thing to do is have them run a bigger TM(not sure what your running) I think the Apex is the sweet spot. I do want to get a good CRB though, thinking the Brush Pro..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Have you owned a CRB Larry?

You are correct about the oily soil, I just don't recall you ever owning one.

55 pound Certified pile brush we currently use for scrubbing more than pile brushing .
Puts a LOT of brush agitation on the carpet when you lift and pull backwards

had a Host machine at one time ....just about worthless for a "real" scrub , but "looked' good to the custy
Had a shampooer (forget the manufacture, but was heavy and heavy duty) with roll bushes we used for pre-scrub

Demoed/played with a Wittiker for an hour or so

..L.T.A.

Last edited:

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Pretty much spot on, imo.

When I think of some 20 year old kid, bringing in a 100lbs floor machine and setting it down on Mrs Simths tile or up her stairs it scares the doop outta me!

I like your thinking on trying to get a tech/techs to be consistent, same for all custys. The rotary would help w/that, no prescrub might save some time.

How many techs/vans do you have now, Joe?

Just me and a summer helper (my son). I do have 2 truckmounts but one is just a back up. I'd like to at the very least have a full time helper by spring that I can be training to run a truck.

Shit, I've only scrubbed like 5 times in 8 years, and can't be busier.. I would say the best thing to do is have them run a bigger TM(not sure what your running) I think the Apex is the sweet spot. I do want to get a good CRB though, thinking the Brush Pro..

I run a White Magic Pro-1200 with a 56 blower but the heat is not so great. Regardless its not an issue of whether it can be cleaned without scrubbing, as the vast majority of jobs i could clean without scrubbing because i know I would put the effort in to make it right and can mix up a nuclear pre treat etc, I’m more concerned about the tech that might be in a rush to get done or is tired at the end of the day and to steal a phrase from someone “make it easier to do right than to do wrong”.

<!--EndFragment-->

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I say go with the 360i if you are insisting on agitation on EVERY resi job. Its light and does a great job. It won't torture the techs. Use quality chems with it and your on your way. I cant imagine hauling my 175 into every customers home. Thats asking for trouble IMO.

Russ

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom