Make them pay?

Name
Jesse
Your tech wrecks your van, it's his fault, and it's cause he's rushing to go home. Do you charge him for the deductible?

Happened to me today. Deductible is 1k, his ticket was $180. I think he should pay $300, how about you?

The Preacher

you know you can't charge him squat if it isn't in the form of a a signature and in yore company manual!!!

live and learn.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
depends on the employee...last time was good employee he knew he screwed up

1K to the business is different than 1K to a working man with 3 kids

Greenie

What would lead foot do if it was his van?

He'd be screwed, 3 kids or not.

But...I do believe Danny is right. What do your state laws say?

G

you can charge him the deductible. You have a RIGHT to be compensated for losses by negligence or malice.

I would unless he is a real money $$$$$$ maker.

If so, then you just delay him getting his next raise until the money is earned back.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I had to pay half of a $500 deductible as per my employee agreement for nailing the bumper of a truck that had decided to park in the middle of the street by my shop door when the early morning sun blinds all of my rear view mirrors....

I might have been able to get it as his fault for being illegally parked in the middle of a friggen street.... but I knew better. The owner doesn't pay his bills and I hadn't seen new insurance cards in a long time. The owner just threw the guy some cash for his bumper and asked it all be hush hush, then hustled me for half of a deductible on a policy he doesn't carry.

Oh well.

I'm at a better company now and I have yet to bean anybody. (I still let my van run off without me sometimes, but it's still easy to catch.)

C

curtis

IF it's in writing (our policy is) and the employee has agreed to it in writing, then yes. Our policy requires no re-imbursement unless it is determined that the fault is theirs. Otherwise they pay "up to 1,000" by taking a temporary pay cut of $1/per hour and loss of production bonus until paid off. If they leave before it is paid off, they forfeit their last checks, and payday is 9 days after the end of the pay period.

Mr. Coffee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Had the same problem, we split the deductible. The tech is paying $20.00 a week for.....ever! It's not about the money, it's about being responsible and accountable.

When no one is then, we have more damages. When it it hits them in their pocket, even just a little, we have far fewer.

Accidents happen, I just want to limit those that can be.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
deductible!!!!!

HAAAAAAAA!

I carry 0 deductible on EVERYTHING i own......i did the math wit my agent...and it was approx $17.00 more a Quarter...per vehicle!

A no brainer!

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I really don't think you can charge them in most states. Its against the law, in your manual or not. Heck, why not just throw in there that they will agree to a lie detector test and see how far it goes.

I do not know for sure, but I am positive that you could just sit them down and explain to them that you want them to pay for the deductible.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Google Nevada labor laws. This wouldn't be legal in California. Each state is different.
Call these guys:

Office of the Labor Commissioner
555 E. Washington Ave. Suite 4100
Las Vegas, NV 89101
PH: 702.486.2650

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom