Man accused of dumping chemicals into car wash drain

Man accused of dumping chemicals into drain

OCALA -- A man caught dumping gallons of chemicals into an Ocala business’ drainage system was arrested by a sheriff’s deputy and charged with felony commercial dumping, according to officials.

Around 1 p.m. Friday, Deputy Niels Tonnesen went to Hilton Automotive at 9055 SW State Road 200 and met with the owner. There, the owner told the deputy he had seen a white van pull into his property and into one of the car wash stalls.

The man said he saw a man exit the suspicious vehicle, which belongs to a carpet cleaning company, and release a handle that emptied some type of liquid into a drain.

As the driver, later identified as Travis Blake Overly, 25, attempted to leave once the content was finished draining, the owner said he detained Overly and called the Sheriff’s Office.

Overly told the deputy he dumped 10 to 20 gallons of chemical waste from a recent carpet cleaning job from his work van into Hilton Automotive drains, officials said. Liquid going into those drains then goes into holding tanks, the owner told the deputy, that are only calibrated for his business. Any alteration to the drainage system, the owner said, could require a $2,000 clean-up.

Overly was arrested and transported to the Marion County Jail.

Connor

Name
Connor
No worse than the engine de-greaser, tire bright and motor oil that goes into that drain every day.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Love these guys!! !dork!

In Florida, you dump on any porous ground. No sanitary sewer. There is no need to dump at a car wash. Fertilize the client's yard! :lol:

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
I've spoke with the owners at both of my local car washes that I dump at and explained to them how debris is filtered before it hits the waste tank and it's ONLY liquid coming out. And I also promise to wash my van at least at every 1/2-1/3 dumpings...just don't want to wash the van every single day. The good things, i don't have to worry about them bitchin' later and my van stays very clean :mrgreen: It's worth the few bucks to have their blessing.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I buy over 2K a month in fuel from my local gas station. After asking them to dump in thier car wash the manger said "he wasn't sure". I told him I was going to start getting fuel down the road.

I now get free coffee and the privealge to dump :)

Burtz

if you don't have permission you have no right what so ever to dump your waste there
have a little respect for private property

Bob Foster

Smoke some of this....

2.0 MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS

In many cases, companies require a waste discharge permit to allow the discharge of industrial
or commercial wastes into the sanitary sewer. However, the CRD’s Sewer Use Bylaw also
provides for the discharge of certain types of waste under industry-specific Codes of Practice.
Acode of practice is a regulatory document, developed by the CRD, which contains mandatory
sanitary sewer discharge standards for specific industrial, institutional or commercial sectors.
Codes of practice set out minimum effluent treatment, equipment maintenance and recordkeeping
requirements for various sector operations. A business or organization operating
under an approved code of practice does not require a waste discharge permit under the CRD
Sewer Use Bylaw.
This section summarizes the regulatory requirements contained in the CRD Sewer Use Bylaw
that apply to carpet cleaning operations. It is intended for information and guidance purposes
only. If there is any discrepancy between this information and the Bylaw, the Bylaw will
take precedence.
The CRD has determined that wastewater from carpet cleaning operations may contain
restricted waste as defined in the bylaw. Businesses that discharge restricted waste must
either operate under a waste discharge permit, a code of practice or an authorization.
Carpet cleaning operations that follow the Code of Practice for Carpet Cleaning Operations
(Schedule “O” of the Sewer Use Bylaw) are authorized to discharge specific types of waste
into the sanitary sewer without a waste discharge permit. The CRD reserves the right, if
deemed necessary by the sewage control manager, to require any carpet cleaning operation
to obtain a waste discharge permit. All other terms and conditions of the Sewer Use Bylaw
apply to the discharge to the sanitary sewer.

2.1 Application
A carpet cleaning operation is defined as any commercial, industrial or institutional
operation or a public authority engaged in the cleaning of hard and soft surfaces using:
liquid extraction, bonnet, absorbent compound, shampoo or dry foam method equipment
and procedures. Anyone working in the carpet cleaning sector must follow this code of
practice if they want to use a sewer connected to a CRD sewage facility for disposal of
wastewater other than that from toilets and washrooms.

2.2 Discharge Regulation
Carpet cleaning operations must not discharge into the sewer non-domestic waste that
contains:
• prohibited waste: anything that could cause a fire or explosion, block the sewers, cause
odors or corrode or damage the sewer system
• total suspended solids in a concentration >1000 milligrams per litre
• restricted waste as defined in the Bylaw other than chemical oxygen demand (COD) and
biochemical oxygen demand (BOD)
• special waste– means special waste as defined in the Waste Management Act
• uncontaminated water in quantities greater than 2 cubic meters per day
(Uncontaminated water takes up valuable sewer line capacity that could be used to
handle wastewater that needs treatment.)

2.2.1 Installation of Treatment Works
Carpet cleaning operations will be required to have the following treatment works installed
by July 1, 2003. An operator of a carpet cleaning sector operation that generates
wastewater on or after July 1, 2003 must:
• treat the waste water using a screen with holes not greater than 0.25 millimeters in
width or length prior to discharge to sewer
• dispose of collected solids in the garbage (solids collected in the screen must not be
discharged to the sewer).

2.2.2 Off-Site Waste Management
As an alternative to disposal to the sanitary sewer system with the required treatment, offsite
management is an option.
• Carpet cleaning wastes can be collected and transported to a waste treatment site that
is permitted for the acceptance and treatment of these wastes.

2.2.3 Inspection and Maintenance of Treatment Works
The code of practice requires a minimum level of inspection and maintenance as follows:
• Filters or screens must be inspected on a daily basis for defects and replaced when
defects are found.
• Hose connections, valves, filter gaskets, pumps and holding tanks must be visually
inspected for leaks at least once per week.
Environmental Regulations & Best Management Practices 6

2.3 Registration
All carpet cleaning sector operations regulated by this code of practice must register with
the CRD Regional Source Control program and report any subsequent change in the
status of their operation to the CRD. See Schedule “H” of Bylaw 2922, Code of Practice
Registration form.

2.4 Spill Containment
Carpet cleaning operations are required to install spill containment and/or cap all floor
drains in chemical storage areas to prevent the accidental discharge of carpet cleaning
chemicals to the storm water collection system or a sanitary sewer.
Operators who find a leak or spill must:
• immediately prevent the spill from entering the storm water collection system,
environment or sanitary sewer
• stop the leak or clean up the spill immediately
• repair the leak within 72 hours of the spill

2.5 Record Keeping and Retention
The operator of the carpet cleaning operation must keep written records to show due
diligence regarding inspection and maintenance activities and to demonstrate that
requirements of the code of practice have been met. Please see inside the back cover for a
sample record keeping form for carpet cleaning operations.
These records must be retained for a period of two years, be available to an inspector and
include the visual inspection of:
• hose connections, unions, couplings and valves
• filter gaskets
• pumps
• wastewater holding tanks

S

sam miller

I have a sewer line in front of my house and 70 to 80 percent here have city sewer lines its easy to open and close and they reclaim the water and treat it grey water .. every now and then I water a forclosurer's dying tree but usually put it where it goes.

The car wash guy probably has to pay ex amount for pump out and treatment and having the carpet guy come by and fill his tank up 3 to 4 times a week was getting old!

Who here dumps 12 to 20 Gal????? what was it a porty?? I could see it if You needed to finish at the last stop and auto shut off was close to flipping but that late the guy just finished a commercial job and was clearing his tank.

John Watson

We have asked permision from car wash owners, we also explaine our filtering process. One owner was still alittle skeptic about it so at his properties we put a knee high on the end of our dump hose.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I have installed a line from my sewer clean out to my driveway and a flexable hose. So. I don't have to worry about this crap. I personally think that in my area an occasional pick-up truck cleaning out horse crap and straw out the back would clog their pits more than a flow of filtered water from carpet cleaning.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Detained by the car wash guy? Fook that!
I’m glad I live in the Midwest where no one gives a shit about carpet van waste water.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We've had multiple occasions where the owner or manager approaches us. They usually want to see what we are dumping and why. So one day I asked why they get mad that we dump at the wash and he replied, that here in my area they have to pay per gallon of water they put in sewer. So I asked if I put in a few quarters and just let it run while we dump or wash the vehicle, and he saiD that would be fine. He came back a few minutes later and really laid it on me. He said he didn't like most of us ( carpet cleaners) because of all the lint and trash left behind is a mess to clean up and fills his traps faster. So we walked around the truck and I showed him the filter and he said most of "us" don't use filters and that's what bothers him. So I gave him a few cards and went on my way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom