Manual Labor.

Mikey P

Administrator
A customer called me yesterday who when I cleane her carpet a year or two ago she told me she had plans to rip it all out and put in some fancy hardwoods...any how she got somebody to come out and give her an estimate on installing the wood which she bought and had acclimating there but the installer doesn't have anybody to rip out the old floor, which requires a whole different mindset in your labor so she asked for a referral which I misunderstood and I sent out another flooring guy.. when he realize all she wanted him to do is rip it out he gave her the same answer the other guy did.." I can lay it I just can't tear it out" that's the new reality .you can't hire somebody with any kind of skill or talent OR carefulness to rip out an old floor without destroying the house for 15 to 20 bucks an hour those type of work people just don't exist anymore..

We need a good old fashion financial crisis.

FredC

Village Idiot
Did she buy the wood from installer A?

If I'm going to get only a piece of a job I want it to be a profitable piece.

There isn't a Home Depot nearby? :winky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad74

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
A customer called me yesterday who when I cleane her carpet a year or two ago she told me she had plans to rip it all out and put in some fancy hardwoods...any how she got somebody to come out and give her an estimate on installing the wood which she bought and had acclimating there but the installer doesn't have anybody to rip out the old floor, which requires a whole different mindset in your labor so she asked for a referral which I misunderstood and I sent out another flooring guy.. when he realize all she wanted him to do is rip it out he gave her the same answer the other guy did.." I can lay it I just can't tear it out" that's the new reality .you can't hire somebody with any kind of skill or talent OR carefulness to rip out an old floor without destroying the house for 15 to 20 bucks an hour those type of work people just don't exist anymore..

We need a good old fashion financial crisis.
The DOW did tank 900 points yesterday for a bit.

Last edited:

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Why cant the installer rip out the old floor? Does it need new subfloors? Not licensed for it? Any contractor can do that. The guy i worked for in the past did all that. Im pretty sure my friend Jason does it still. At least his crew does.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
That’s funny they didn’t want too rip out carpet & tack? It’s not that difficult, he would still have to prep the floor. Hopefully he checks concrete for moisture content or wood subfloor?

Mikey P

Administrator
Why cant the installer rip out the old floor? Does it need new subfloors? Not licensed for it? Any contractor can do that. The guy i worked for in the past did all that. Im pretty sure my friend Jason does it still. At least his crew does.

would you like the job?

I'll give her your number

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
$20 an hour?
That's not reasonable. You need to hire a company who does this type of work, has the tools and skills to do it without damaging anything else and has a truck to haul away the debris. That company will need to pay dump fees. Probably closer to $100 per hour. You want it done cheap, you'll get a couple of drunk locals who'll do it for a case of beer and dump it on the side of the road.

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
demo is part of flooring installation. its silly that the installer wont do it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
$20 an hour?

no it's not for a legit outfit

Why cant the installer rip out the old floor?

some reasons I can think of.
the contractor is busy enough he can afford to be a prima donna
Or
There's more to the story that Mike's not getting from the homeowner

I suspect the latter .
The homeowner thinks the demo part is too high due to ignorance of what all is involved on that particular demo

How many times have you heard,

"Could you hit this while you're here?
it'll only take you 10 minutes"

....as they point to the 14ft pillow back sectional

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Or
There's more to the story that Mike's not getting from the homeowner

I suspect the latter .

This is why I respect Uncle Larry.

When you get stories like this one, its like the guy who can't get any response from the girls in a bar and claims they must all be lesbians.

Mikey, you'd be wise to avoid any potential customer who says, in so many words:

"I can't get anyone to work for me"

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
NOT PC sorry,

but I could not help thinking someone would interject "what about Manuel?" :icon_razz:

Maybe get Chavez back.

Mike Draper

I suppose that guy could rip it out just like I could clean apartments for $40 a pop. But why would I when I’m busy making real money for my family and I? It’s all relative.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom