Marketing to Interior Decorators

Moser Bros.

I haven't marketed to interior decorators, but the best Joe Polish tape I've heard was about the carpet cleaner for the stars, it's and old tape about 9 years old, and I've never heard of anyone else doing it. I had a hard time finding interior decorators in Sacramento back then and wasn't searching the web much back then for one.

Who's gotten lots of referrals from interior decorators and Is it similar to networking with carpet and tile retailers?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
When the market was hotter, I teamed up with some home stagers. The first thing they do is clean the house and then set it up.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Marketing to Interior Designers I think is more challenging than to carpet retailers.
For one, the carpet retailer probably doesn't care much about the home and home owner, their privacy etc
I've found Int D'rs, esp the good ones, to be very skeptical, very cautious, when allowing another trade into a home they are working on.
Once you establish that trust however, they will call you.
You definitely don't want to come across as some price driven cleaner.

-JB-

Name
JB
They can be a pretty "fickle" crowd, also the goods they sell and have installed, very often gets little if ANY consideration for the fact that may one day actually need cleaning one day.

They can still be very good referral sources over the years.

But, they are a good crowd to be associated w/either way.

Name
Kevin McCreary
Trust me, they will only let "you" and "you" only do the work. Do NOT send an employee or plan to grow a multi truck business that way.

-JB-

Name
JB
problem is when the same guru has sold the same programme to 20 other cleaners in your hood and your all trying to do the same thing with only so many carpet retailers or home decorators

Pays to be the first....literally! :wink:

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I have always suggested working with decorators and yes they are apain in the ass which is why few people will do it. If it was easy everyone would have already done it. This is a long term proposition and first step is to join your local ASID chapter American Socierty of Interior Decor.

Realize that you will be cleaning sisal, coir, albaca, linen wool blends and silk. Price accordingly.

Mikey P

Administrator
I have 5 or so that send me nice hoity toity clients.

Not of them were "marketed" to.
They just found me from word of mouth.

My upholstery skills is what earned me their respect.

If I were you, I would go to their studios and put on a little show. Pretend you were walking by with your helper (or a phony "trainee") and ask if its ok if you show the helper some fabric swatches. Act very grateful that their studio just so happened to be there while you and the helper were discussing upholstery cleaning on your lunch break or what ever excuse you can come up with.
Show the helper how to identify and clean all the different fabrics and talk about protectors and most importantly how you would go about protecting the wood and stone floors while you clean the upholstery.
If you come across like a 3rd grader in the xmas play, you're fooked, so practice your acting skills which you better already have if you want to succeed in this line of work.

Don't bother the designer too much, maybe just 2 or 3 questions.

Make sure you know your fabrics and use the correct terminologies. Do not use the term Steam Clean in regards to fine upholstery. Low Moisture this and dry clean that..
If they have rug samples, spend some time discussing rug cleaning with the trainee as well.

Thank them very much for letting you invade the studio, leave your card and maybe you'll get lucky.

Either way you've left way more of a impression then any stupid flier or unwanted gift basket could ever do.

and yes, you can come do a ride along next time you're in town.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I like mike’s tactic. I would say 50% of interior designers are real the rest play designer so you’ll bump up against unorganized unprofessional designers basically people that play designer for the discounts or as a hobby that need you to clean a client( really friend or relative) or their house ASAP “today” and of course with a designer discount.

The large design firms are better than small ones but there are plenty of exceptions the point is you want to figure out the real designers from the “hobby ones”

I did the designer circuit years ago, ASID is best the local ASID chapters I couldn’t ..it was too much for me.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great thoughts.

Small hint, but it will help you:

Never call them "interior decorators". They prefer "interior designers".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom