Masterblend Soap Free on Wool ?

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I have used Masterblend Soap Free on wall to wall wool carpets after testing for color run issues. This is what Masterblend told me to do when I called and asked this question. The carpets looked good after cleaning and I had no issues.
Sweendogg, why would you say it is not suitable for wool, 9.9 PH?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
See "wool Bureau" guidelines for cleaning wool. (if I remember correctly 8.0/8.5 ph max)
It is both the PH and what is in the cleaning detergent.

There are plenty of "WoolSafe" products out there and it is our responsibility to use the right products for wool.

I am sure Soap Free will clean great, so will a ph 11 on 5/6 th generation carpet but it will also cause damage.
Soap free should not be used on wool.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
The Ph range is not a good guide. SoapFree contains sodium per-carbonate which normally should not be used on wool unless it is a last resort.

G

Bill Soukoreff said:
The Ph range is not a good guide. SoapFree contains sodium per-carbonate which normally should not be used on wool unless it is a last resort.

Bingo! Also, with Wool it is a must to rinse neutral, and if it's light color, I recommend protector for wool. Bring fans, tell them it will stink for awhile too.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
pH really isn't that big of an issue with wool unless its an oriental rug and even then there are products that are in the 10 above range that are wool safe approved when rinsed completely. Its always a good idea to leave wool on the acid side to stabilize dyes. But the biggest issue as stated above I had with soap free on the wool is the oxidizer. Oxidizers just are not a good idea for wool, while it they will show an improvemnt 75% of the time, they can start to break down the fibers making them brittle over time, and they can yellow out the fiber over time. Some lighter wool will yellow even after one application of an oxidizer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom