Matrix Grand Slam TLC review

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
After using it on several jobs, I have to say it works great. I cannot tell any sort of difference in the job it does compared to my Bridgepoint Zone Perfect.

It stinks really bad, and when I brought a helper along he asked if my new pre-spray was going to kill him and if he should be breathing it.

To the defense of the product it hasn't caused me to develop a cough so far, and I assumed it would. Maybe it still will, I haven't burned up the gallon yet.

steampro

Name
Ryan
This stuff works great. The odor has never bothered me but they do have a fragrance free you can order.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
They sent it free of charge. I just haven't tried it yet. I need to make sure to save some of the reg. stuff to do a side by side taste test challenge.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I tried the sc side by side with cobbs powermax at the label dilution ratois for both on a resterant and was not impressed. I had to go back over with cobbs stuff to get it clean. 24 bucks a gallon and 1.5 to 2 .5 gts per hydroforce jug is pricey to me. But the free shades are okay...........

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
We use it regularly. It's my guys favorite. I've never used it on a restraunt though. I like Cobb's PowerMax alot, but my guys are just too damn messy with powders.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
The fragrance free version is the way to go. With just a dash of citrus solve it smells great. I get comments on how good it smells almost daily.

I bounce back and forth between Grand Slam and Cobb's powermax. I think they both work great. I do think the Cobb's stuff is a little more cost friendly but sometimes I just don't want to mess with mixing a powder.

Speaking of which does anyone know if any of Cobb's liquid pre-sprays compare favorably to powermax? Specifically this one http://www.cobbcarpet.com/precon.html

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I usually dilute Zone Perfect to about 1:24 and add 8 oz Citrus Solve for my greasy restaurants. It works better than TrafficSlam, and doesn't kill me like Flex... Plus I think if you can use something that isn't nuclear you should. It really works great.

I can't say the same for the Matrix... Maybe I shouldn't be mixing Matrix that strong. Some pre-sprays are less effective when mixed stronger just due to formulation.

Has anybody used Release by Hydramaster? I was forced to use that garbage at "Elite" cleaning. It worked terrible.... Then one day I figured it out. If you spray it very lightly on the carpet, give it a full ten minutes dwell time and then extract, it works perfectly. However, if you mix it too strong, or if you spray it too heavily, or if you don't give it a long dwell, nothing comes clean. I just thought that was the weirdest thing. I never thought you would get night and day results by misting instead of spraying.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
SC= Super Concentated. No need to add anymore than the recommended.. And Yeah Gary i've encounterd the exact same problem.. I don't really remember greatly the reason behind this from my chemistry courses.. Maybe Forsythe can ring in here.. but I imagine it has something with breaking up the soils vs flooding them to the bottom of the fibers.

M

Mr. P

I think it's too foamy. I really like Bridgepoint products. Boost All, citr-solv,etc

hogjowl

Idiot™
At 4 oz's per gallon, Grand Slam costs 74 cents a gallon for RTU. Compared to JJ Oxygen prespray which costs 55 cents when mixed at 2 oz's. I normally clean with JJ at 2 oz's per gallon, but on the really nasties, I sometimes use 3 or 4 ounces of JJ. At 4 ounces, JJ costs me $1.09 a gallon. Now that's alot, but I suspect that on those jobs that require 3 or 4 ounces of JJ, the Grand Slam would require more than 4 ounces per gallon.

So far, the JJ stuff is my favorite. I can use it to clean anything ... tile and grout, upholstery, oriental rugs as well as carpets.

Usually, when I run into a job where 2 ounces of JJ won't work, I don't add more JJ, I add a tblsp. of the booster powder; however, I can't determine how much this adds to the cost per gallon because Les doesn't print the weight on the label on the booster jar. Nor does he put how many scoops are in a jar, or how many ounces are in a scoop. I suspect, if I could figure it out, adding a scoop of booster to a 2 ounce per gallon mix of JJ probably runs the cost up to somewhere equal to that of a gallon of Grand Slam.

wired

I have used ultra pack for many years. It is the best stuff out there. Could not use it for health reasons Went to zone perfect and it is pretty good no smell at all. I had a nasty white carpet to clean yesterday and did not have time to use the rx20.so I reached for some of my old fav. Ultra pack that I had for nearly a year on the truck. Sprayed it in with HF raked and used wand. I said WOW and the cust, said the same. I would like to try some of the powermax that everyone is talking about if I could only get a sample from jeff wishful thinking.

lesterj2

i used the Grand Slam for the first time today... it is GREAT and I like the mint fragrance it gives off...
the only difference I see when using this compared to my usual CarpetCop is the soap..
when I use the CarpetCop i never see soap on my backstroke when keyed...
but when I used the GrandSlam i seen white soap when backstroking...

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
As long as you flush it out well, you shouldn't have any problems. This product was designed to be used with an Acidic Rinse like All fiber Rinse from Jon Don.. I suggest you try this product. Also you don't have to put alot down for it to work effectively.

R

rotovacguy

I finally got around to trying it today on a really nasty vacant duplex, I figured if the smell isn't too pleasant, what better place to test it. My normal pre-spray is Pro's Choice Ultra TLC, and the guy at Jon-don said this stuff is better. Ok, I'll try it, and the price was just right!
I put down a descent layer of coverage and scrubbed it in with the brush heads on my Rotovac. It seems to have a descent amount of power, but I don't think it's quite as strong as the Ultra TLC. I noticed on some areas that I had to go over a second time to get it to come clean, I very seldom have to do that with the Pro's choice. Also, when pouring it in, I noticed it's very liquid like, almost water thin. My Ultra TLC pours very thick, and very slow. I will say it doesn't foam up anywhere near as much as the Ultra TLC, so that's a good thing.
I have to agree with Gary about the scent. It's not "BAD", but it's definitely different. The pro's choice leaves a nice aroma that gets compliments everytime. Nobody was there at the job today, but my own nose doesn't like the scent as much. It's hard to put it in words, but it is not as pleasant as my normal stuff.
I will use the gallon for nasty jobs like the one I did today, but when the gallon is used up I think I'll stick to the usual.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
rotovacguy said:
I finally got around to trying it today on a really nasty vacant duplex, I figured if the smell isn't too pleasant, what better place to test it. My normal pre-spray is Pro's Choice Ultra TLC, and the guy at Jon-don said this stuff is better. Ok, I'll try it, and the price was just right!
I put down a descent layer of coverage and scrubbed it in with the brush heads on my Rotovac. It seems to have a descent amount of power, but I don't think it's quite as strong as the Ultra TLC. I noticed on some areas that I had to go over a second time to get it to come clean, I very seldom have to do that with the Pro's choice. Also, when pouring it in, I noticed it's very liquid like, almost water thin. My Ultra TLC pours very thick, and very slow. I will say it doesn't foam up anywhere near as much as the Ultra TLC, so that's a good thing.
I have to agree with Gary about the scent. It's not "BAD", but it's definitely different. The pro's choice leaves a nice aroma that gets compliments everytime. Nobody was there at the job today, but my own nose doesn't like the scent as much. It's hard to put it in words, but it is not as pleasant as my normal stuff.
I will use the gallon for nasty jobs like the one I did today, but when the gallon is used up I think I'll stick to the usual.

Did u shake the bottle? It is usually thick.

R

rotovacguy

SRI Cleaning said:
rotovacguy said:

Did u shake the bottle? It is usually thick.

Yeah, I shook it like crazy, that's why I was surprised, the guy from Jon-don said it was thick stuff. It's alright, I just prefer Pro's choice, I've never had an issue with any of their stuff.

I ordered it with fragrance, it sounds like the fragrance-free with some citrus is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrible, the stuff that came with my Rotovac...now that is some crap!!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
rotovacguy said:
the stuff that came with my Rotovac...now that is some crap!!

RPM3 or some crap like that and yes it's garbage. I used 1 gallon and threw the rest out and that's saying something because never tried a pre-spray that I didn't at least finish off what I bought.

R

rotovacguy

SRI Cleaning said:
I bet something was wrong with that bottle. It is usually thick and goopy.

Yeah, I don't know, it seemed to clean alright. I've never used it before, so I wasn't aware of it's consistency. I'm used to my Ultra TLC, you tip the bottle and have to wait for it, just like a new bottle of ketchup!

It's the right stuff, I checked the labels out.....maybe it got mislabeled? I don't know, all I do know is mine wasn't thick and goopy.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
rotovacguy said:
SRI Cleaning said:
I bet something was wrong with that bottle. It is usually thick and goopy.

Yeah, I don't know, it seemed to clean alright. I've never used it before, so I wasn't aware of it's consistency. I'm used to my Ultra TLC, you tip the bottle and have to wait for it, just like a new bottle of ketchup!

It's the right stuff, I checked the labels out.....maybe it got mislabeled? I don't know, all I do know is mine wasn't thick and goopy.

Rotovac guy.

Tell me who you are and you shipping info and I will have another gallon shipped to you.

Thanks,

Bill Yeadon
Thick & Goopy Quality Control
Jon Don

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I think he is expecting it to be like ketchup. I would never try to spray something that thick.

R

rotovacguy

B&BGaryC said:
I think he is expecting it to be like ketchup. I would never try to spray something that thick.

I'm not expecting it to be like anything, I've never used the stuff before. The guy from Jon-Don and numerous others here have said it's fairly thick, mine is not. I didn't have a problem with the cleaning power, either, I'm just stating how it compares to my normal stuff. It seems like it cleans pretty good, I always scrub my pre-spray in, and it did very well. To me, it's kind of a trade-off, with the Pro's Choice you seem to get a little more power on the nasty stuff, but the Matrix is still very potent and doesn't foam up near as bad.

Since I had some spare time on my hands today, I did a side by side comparison, and you can totally tell which was the Pro's Choice and which was the Matrix. Both were stored at the same temperature, and were also shaken.

The Pro's Choice poured out like molasses, while the Matrix ran out slightly thicker than water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom