Maybe I should've went for it...

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Just had an opportunity to clean a slate floor in a kitchen with an unknown sealer or topical on it. Scratching it seemed like thin wax on VCT. But scratching the grout and dropping some acid on it didn't make it fizz. However I dropped some stripper on the grout and scrubbed it with a nylon brush and it came out snow white. Dropped acid on the grout again still no fizz.

She wasn't interested in having another coating put on it. Now I privately feel like an idiot. If applying a small amount of stripper and scrubbing after 10 seconds made the grout bright white, she only wants it cleaned not sealed with anything, then should I care if there is still sealer or whatever impregnated in the grout as long as I can get down enough to make it look good?

Slate seems like the only natural stone I can go after since it requires the low psi that I am limited to. I can still recover that aspect of the job I think. We're cleaning their carpets on Thursday.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Just had an opportunity to clean a slate floor in a kitchen with an unknown sealer or topical on it. Scratching it seemed like thin wax on VCT. But scratching the grout and dropping some acid on it didn't make it fizz. However I dropped some stripper on the grout and scrubbed it with a nylon brush and it came out snow white. Dropped acid on the grout again still no fizz.

She wasn't interested in having another coating put on it. Now I privately feel like an idiot. If applying a small amount of stripper and scrubbing after 10 seconds made the grout bright white, she only wants it cleaned not sealed with anything, then should I care if there is still sealer or whatever impregnated in the grout as long as I can get down enough to make it look good?

Slate seems like the only natural stone I can go after since it requires the low psi that I am limited to. I can still recover that aspect of the job I think. We're cleaning their carpets on Thursday.
Well the grout isn't snow white, but stupid white. Seems like a horrible choice by who installed it next to the black slate.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I know slate scratches easily. Can one use blue brushes on a crb without scratching it? I think thats all I would need to get through this stuff and clean it sufficiently after my test..

Mikey P

Administrator
None of the availble brushes for a CRB will scratch slate, with Blue being ideal. Blaack and Brown are too stiff and wont get into the nooks and crannies as well..

In many instances a product like Saiger Tsunami will clean AND strip light layers of Mop&Glow type coatings in just one application/rinsing.

The biggest threat to Slate are Turbo Spinners ran above 700 psi, which will pressure etch circular patterns into the soft stone like you wouldn't believe.

You are correct, you should have taken it on.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
None of the availble brushes for a CRB will scratch slate, with Blue being ideal. Blaack and Brown are too stiff and wont get into the nooks and crannies as well..

In many instances a product like Saiger Tsunami will clean AND strip light layers of Mop&Glow type coatings in just one application/rinsing.

The biggest threat to Slate are Turbo Spinners ran above 700 psi, which will pressure etch circular patterns into the soft stone like you wouldn't believe.

You are correct, you should have taken it on.
Very helpful tips Mike. Thank you! I'm erring on the side of caution with natural stone as I don't know much and their isn't much information available outside of your manual. Which can only cover so much. Live and learn. These are the easy lessons :)

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom