Me too change my name

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Ive had the name quality carpet instalations since i was 20 so when i got into cleaning i just changed it to cleaning instead of instalations since alot of people new me by that name-i think. I know its lame and im sick of it so i have a week before the yellow pages deadline and im thinking of changing.
Should I:
Just keep it and do something fancy with name like make the Q huge
steel a name from one of you guys :lol: beyond clean, ultimate floor care,
Or a play on my last name-Darker
or aardvark
im afraid to put carpet cleaning in the name because i want to start pushing tile and other flooring as well
Im not as imaginative as id like to think and when i do pick something i pick it apart untill i hate it.
So give me some ideas pleeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaase.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Joel, In all seriousness, if you're one week out from YP dealine, now is NOT the right time to be thinking like this.

If you rush it, you'll more than likely be disappointed in the short-long term.

I'd let this lot go through, then start thinking about it and slowly change things over the coming 12 months in a lot of other areas.

A couple of things, one, it gives time to make sure you're really happy before you commit. Secondly, it allows your customers to slowly catch on during the next 12 months and when they go looking for you add next time round, they will hopefully already have your new name/logo/USP in their mind as well so they'll continue to find you.

All IMHO only of course... coz there's better marketing gurus here that are and have been more successful that i.

John

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Hey Joel,

Listen to John Middleton, a week is simply not enough time. I asked this same question last year after I joined the board and got some great ideas and help from members.

Personally speaking, the idea that made the most sense to me at the time was to transition the name change over a 3 year period of time rather than overnight and to market and advertise the changes so current and future customers understand what you're doing and don't think you went out of business and somebody new and different just jumped into the cleaning business. I don't particularly like my company name that came with the business, ACME.. everybody thinks I'm saying acne. Or they joke, "like the coyote/road runner?" I smile and nod back to them biting my tongue.. Enough about that.

The 3 yr transition was suggestioned as follows and I just made up this name as an example. But the suggestion was to make sure your advertising and marketing your name change periodically but fairly consistantly to build awareness of the change and your brand.

Year 1 "Quality Carpet Installations is changing its name!! We're now Quality-Elite Carpet and Floor Care!!" or something like that. Introduce the new name but keep old name first.
Year 2 Elite Quality Carpet and Floor Care. New name is now taking the lead as old transitions out.
Year 3 Elite Carpet and Floor Care. Old name is dropped all together and new name takes over by itself.

I've decided to keep my company name as is for now.. I've got other more important things to take care of right now. The last thing I need is to lose business resulting from a name change. Once I get things ironed out I'll consider it again, maybe. I'm amazed I get a lot of calls just because I'm listed first in the phone book... at least that's what customers tell me any way.

Good luck to you with your decision and let me/us know how it turns out for you

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Sometimes the best way to change your name is to use the New name as the tag line for awhile.

My old name was Just Carpet Cleaning (then I started doing tile)
The transition was

"Just Carpet Cleaning...Service is #1"

After doing that for a while I kept the old name while spreading the word of my new name to my existing customers.

The new customers would only see Service 1 so they wouldn't know any difference.
Kinda like running two business' at once for a while.
I still see my old name out there and that's ok, if I am making money off of it...who cares?

I know some companies that have 3 names or more (they bought them or whatever) and they all go to the same number.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
I agree with the posters saying you need to take time and do this right. Let people associate the old name with the new name over a period of time.

Some names will limit you. Don't choose them unless you want to acept those limitations.

If you use your name (first or last) people will think of a one person company and/or will also want you to do the work. It will be hard to get clients to accept employees if you have any now or in the future.

Don't use the name of your city or town. What if you expand your territory? Folks from Jonestown may not want to do business with Smithville Cleaning Servive.

Don't say, tile, carpet or any other specialty in your name. You may want to add more services later.

Quality Flooring Service could include carpet, tile and other types of flooring. It could include installation, cleaning, repairs, etc.

Scott Warrington

Becker

Name
Becker
Coming up with a name is not easy to do.

1st of all you want to not be confused with others in your service area.
ya don't want to name yourself to closely to the big franchises.
You want others to remember it.
Easy to read spell and say are somewhat important.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a name for my new business to start in 09.
I'm lucky to not be in a rush.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The actual name you come up with is tough sometimes. I have struggled with this and therefore I have more than one name out there.
Just carpet cleaning was and is very limiting.

The name of the city is not a bad idea and every city you advertise to can be a different name for your company.

You can answer you phone "Carpet Cleaning" or "Carpet Care" or whatever. I know someone who does this.

I don't think you have to have one great name but it would be nice if all the names you pick go after someone and catch there eye.

what is great for one customer...is not great for another.

Example...dickheads carpet cleaning would attract some of the people on this board but
extrasuperpompousassknowitall Carpet Cleaners might attract others...you know who you are. :mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I like Polkadot Carpet and Tile Cleaner
the van could be nice

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
Matt Murdock said:
I like Polkadot Carpet and Tile Cleaner
the van could be nice
good stuff that would definately stand out :shock:
I decided to just leave it and have wayne make it look more professional.
looks good now

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
yp_ad.jpg

-JB-

Name
JB
Very sharp Joel & Wayne, nice job!

PS

we got a guy w/spots all over his truck round here already.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
As usual, top notch Wayne.

Out of interest, my Dad is re entering the industry after 6 years out and is starting a new business.

If he came to you with a few ideas, what sort of cost is he looking at for concept development like you have above with Joels?

Feel free to PM or email me if you like.

Kind regards, John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom