Micro-fibre steaking

R

rokonrob

I p erformed cleaning on a love-seat, 87% poly/13% nylon, soft beige material,that should have been no problem at all, as I have cleaned many like this over the years. The handpiece of choice for my fabric cleaning is the Hydry interrnal jet tool(s).
This particular piece was left with slight streaking from the 3 inch tool that I used. Material was carded and towelled immediately during the process, yet was noticably streaked then and after drying.
The back cushions were loose enough that I could remove the fabric for gentle machine wash. There ia ahuge improvement in the finished result, but that doesnot solve the problem with the seat cushions or frame. My plan is to re-wet the material with a hot water spray, then extract over a piece of nylon mesh screen, a process that I have used for velvet.
Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

agitate,groom and rinse in one direction, find the lay of the nap and go in that direction, path of least resistance. i agree re-wet the fabric again.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Brother, i don't have a good feeling about this one.

Too much heat and/or too much pressure on that internal tool can hurt you bad on some fabrics
'specially if it's that flocked up micro fiber .

You "should" of noticed it happening while cleaning though
( if it's the picture I have in my "mind's eye")

..L.T.A.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Only time I have streaking on micofiber is at my own house when I run my psi at 500 with my PMF tool.. I would guess your pressure was set higher then you thought...

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I would mist with distilled water, let dwell for 2-3 minutes and stroke with rolled up dry white towel.

R

rokonrob

Thanks for the suggestions. I was cleaning with my new RVCFX, using customers hot water and psi. Probably 120-130 degrees and .no more than 45-50 psi. Does anyone use the mesh screen method. This was in my opinion,not a true micro-fibre as I have seen quite a few. More of a flocked fabric than anything.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Sorry to hear of your difficulty.

Let's back up a bit. How do you know its polyester and nylon? Labels on furniture are notoriously inaccurate. I could waste your time here with stories, but I want to stay on track on this one for now.

Assuming its synthetic:

I've seen that tool cause the distortion you described on microfiber and flocked fibers. Recleaning with a different type of tool could help, though depending on the amount of damage that exists, it might be irreparable. Some cheap microfiber and flocked fabrics are so poorly made that the pressure and vacuum of some tools (such as the Hydry and original Drimaster) can cause permanent damage.

Since you didn't use excessive pressure and heat, you might have a chance of fixing this one.

The use of a screen is something I use on museum pieces, deteriorated rayon, etc. You might prevent this type of problem with screen, but I can't see how it might fix the problem.

If you use a brush (I usually use a towel, but I think the "fix" might take a brush), try to use a dense bristled plastic brush, like the Handi Brush (NOT Handi GROOM) from Groom Industries. Some of the metal velvet brushes can damage flocked fabrics, if that's what this is.

Feel free to post pictures here, or to send them to me at:

jimscleanchat@gmail.com

I'll help you all I can.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
This is a formula I learned from Murray Cremer years ago. Works fine on natural velvets and sometimes helps on synthetics.

Mix the following in a 1 qt trigger sprayer.
1 1/2 to 2 ounces of quality fabric softener. One that does not have a strong dye in it.
1 pt. IPA (Rubbing alcohol)
Fill with distilled water.

Shake gently and mist it on. Give a few minutes to be absorbed and then groom with Handi Brush or towel.

R

rokonrob

Thanks again for the responses. I have already toweled/brushed in one direction during the cleaning process as the streaks were noticed immediately. Doesnt the manufacturer, by law, have to label accordingly the material content. The tags are still affixed. I would not say the piece is damaged as the gentle machine wash has corrected the streaking on the bach cushions. I believe this article would raise concerns if it were to be towelled circularly. I cannot see where the customers concerns would be addressed properly with circled swoops as opposed to straight lines. This article is one solid color,so, it is not forgiving in any way.
I would have to assume that the piece is labelled correctly in accordance with Canadian law until proven otherwise. I will try the fabric softener suggestion, and report back.
The lesson learned here is to always have a upholstery disclaimer signed prior to commencment of cleaning, and to not ballpark pricing. This is only the second time that I recall having issues with the finished look of a piece. Oh and my pricing will increase substantialy for similar items in the future. Other than that I would walk away.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
rokonrob said:
. Doesnt the manufacturer, by law, have to label accordingly the material content. The tags are still affixed.

I don't know about Canadian law, but in the USA, the label tags have to identify hidden material, that is stuffing and filling. The tags do not have to include whatever the actual covering fabric is. Too many folks think they have polyester fabric when they really have polyester batts stuffing inside.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Your tool is part of the problem.

Consider using a tool with rounded, non-metallic edges, or with a glide installed.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The mesh is more for a weak fabric that you don't want to rip or physically destroy.

How soiled was the fabric? Do you think it the streaking could be from uneven cleaning?
I would say its time to invest in a better uph tool. Worth their weight in gold in just avoiding issues like this.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
First things first.

Before a path for correction can be determined.

You need to find the fabric content.

#1. You should NEVER believe tags.

Do a burn test.

I do wonder if the streaking is browning, un-even cleaning or fiber distortion?

R

rokonrob

Thanks again guys. What tool should I be looking for

Okay, lets suggest which is the best handpiece for micro-fibres regardless of price.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The Sapphire Upholstery tool would be a good choice. Really nice tool especially if you clean a lot of upholstery.

NewUPTool002.jpg

NewUPTool004.jpg

NewUPTool003.jpg

R

rokonrob

I have a Kleenrite with rounded edges that I used prior to the Hydry. All metal construction, but it would need to be jetted down. Who makes a glide for the Hydry.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The Kleenrite tool will work fine.

It's rounded edges are the secret. It and the Upholstery Pro are causing the least issues, and glided Prochem tools and Hydrokinetic tools have been ok too.

S

sam miller

Ya that vid of the kentic looked like he made some serious lines in that fabric!

I saw another post about Upholstery where the guy set the nap with to much heat he used a steamer and groomed it to fix it.

He did try rewetting with truckmount and it didnt fix it. Just a thought.

I like my saffire tool but I liked my prochem tool for years and never had a problem with it either.

Labels and tags would seem like every couch is made up polyester foam batting. Isnt all Microfiber synthetic?

Scary reading tags says poly I'll just nuke it and its a cotton bleeder Ouch.

Burn test and dye test. also look in cushions for any ink markings from factory that could bleed out and be a nightmare.

sometimes they write on pillow with marker and you need to use a barrier so you dont pull it through.

lance

Wow, will the wand marks on that video every go away? If the couch looked like that when it dried I could see the customer being very mad and wanting it corrected.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I wanted to show how the tool worked, didn't watch past the demo on the cloth. BOY does that tech need a class!!! The HK leaves hole lines but those brush out very nicely. I find my hand works better than a brush on microfibre.
It does give an even clean, I never move mine as fast as that joker in the video.

R

rokonrob

Th anks for the interest and suggestions guys. The issue has been resolved to both of our satisfaction. Bottom line, after sitting on and using the piece for a week or so, the marks are much less pronounced, bill has been paid and the lady will still recommend my cleaning services.
In my conversation with her, I indicated that the only mistake that I made was not forwarning herr of the possibility of potential streaking. One idea that I can share on this material is to give it a nice even pre-spray,dwell, hold the handpiece about two-three inches above the material and spray the hot H2O onto the fabric at that distance, then extract with trigger off. Far less observable linage on fabric. Still needs carded though.

R

rokonrob

Thanks Lee, what would be your recommendation for a quality vapour steamer and approximately how much rubbing alcohol would I need to buy for a six foot couch. What type of sprayer would be used for application.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
rokonrob said:
Thanks Lee, what would be your recommendation for a quality vapour steamer and approximately how much rubbing alcohol would I need to buy for a six foot couch. What type of sprayer would be used for application.

I've seen Steve Andrews do some amazing corrections as well as cleaning using this vapor steamer distributed by Hydroforce. Cost is under $800 in USA. Don't know about costs in Canada.
Hydro Force Vapor Cleaner

The rubbing alcohol will take only several ounces. A pint will be more than enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom