Mikeyfest Idea

Mike Draper

Why dont we put to test the high flow wand concept and see if it lives up to its hype? Here is my idea. Take 3 wands. A TI wand pimped at 12 flow with 1" check valves, a TI wand stock, and a ho wand with 1 single jet that sits up high. We'll take one machine up to full heat and then with a thermal imaging system well pull the pimped ti wand backwards with no vac hooked up, this way well see the immediate temp of the water on the fiber. Next we"ll pull the stock TI wand backwards and finally the Ho wand. What I would like to see is if there is a temperature difference on the fiber due to the larger droplets of water and the jets being closer to the fiber on a high flow with check valves? Would be interesting to see if there is any difference between a pimped ti wand and a stock one. And finally, to see how much more heat is lost when you are using a ho wand where the jet is 4" off the ground.

We could then takes both Ti wands and use 2" hose to extract water, then 2.5" hose to extract and see if there is a noticeable difference in the thermal imaging?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
Why dont we put to test the high flow wand concept and see if it lives up to its hype? Here is my idea. Take 3 wands. A TI wand pimped at 12 flow with 1" check valves, a TI wand stock, and a ho wand with 1 single jet that sits up high. We'll take one machine up to full heat and then with a thermal imaging system well pull the pimped ti wand backwards with no vac hooked up, this way well see the immediate temp of the water on the fiber. Next we"ll pull the stock TI wand backwards and finally the Ho wand. What I would like to see is if there is a temperature difference on the fiber due to the larger droplets of water and the jets being closer to the fiber on a high flow with check valves? Would be interesting to see if there is any difference between a pimped ti wand and a stock one. And finally, to see how much more heat is lost when you are using a ho wand where the jet is 4" off the ground.

We could then takes both Ti wands and use 2" hose to extract water, then 2.5" hose to extract and see if there is a noticeable difference in the thermal imaging?

I've told you before the thermo imaging thingies would tell much...they're just not accurate enough for that type application ...whether you believe that or not.. :roll:

it's dead nutz easy to read the temp as it's hitting the fiber though.

get a quick rise digi meAt thermometer .
Put the probe on the carpet under the jet spray

I've done it many times with different wands, identical wands w/different flow rates as well as other variables like length of solution line, ambient outside temps and PSI

$6 bucks at Harbor Freight for the thermometer
Go get one, do the temp tests with what tools you have ....and report back to the class
YOU might be very surprised at what you discover

.L.T.A.

Name
Nate W.
meAt said:
Mike Draper said:

I've told you before the thermo imaging thingies would tell much...they're just not accurate enough for that type application ...whether you believe that or not.. :roll:

it's dead nutz easy to read the temp as it's hitting the fiber though.

get a quick rise digi meAt thermometer .
Put the probe on the carpet under the jet spray

I've done it many times with different wands, identical wands w/different flow rates as well as other variables like length of solution line, ambient outside temps and PSI

$6 bucks at Harbor Freight for the thermometer
Go get one, do the temp tests with what tools you have ....and report back to the class
YOU might be very surprised at what you discover

.L.T.A.

Hey meAt, how does that work for the rv360i or rx20 users? SOL? shiteatinggrin

Mike Draper

Wellllllll, if a high flow wand will give you 40 deg. more at the fiber than a stock wand, wouldn't it be worth it to make it high flow?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
Wellllllll, if a high flow wand will give you 40 deg. more at the fiber than a stock wand, wouldn't it be worth it to make it high flow?

Where are you getting the 40 degree more ATF figure from , Drapes?
measuring sol temps at the "wand" valve with a lie detector is WORLDS away from the spray at the "fiber"

Trust me..or better yet...

go get the cheAp , (but accurate) digi meat thermometer and test the temps ATF for yourself

I have little doubt you'll be quite surprised

..L.T.A.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
just hit the jet and not the motor to test the rotaries

The TICamera should be able to show a difference in extraction, ie the water left behind, say between angled jets, straight down jets, glided, not glided, and against the single jet wands.
Makes for a lot of testing over just two days, lots of variables.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
why not one of those lazer temp readers the hvac guys use???

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I finally found the video footage I took of the test of a 12 flow prochem quadjet, 10 flow greenhorn, and 15 flow greenhorn. thought I'm a bit embarrassed to post it as the footage... sucks beforeand after the measurement. I'll work on editing it down. :oops: But I can tell you that the greenhorn jetting from 10 flow to 15 flow at 600 psi when from 155 at the carpet to 167. so a 12 degree gain.. not shabby. I'd love to try it on a higher heat sytem.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Say What? Not when compared to a pos 1 jet. I can't believe anyone uses them and thinks they are cleaning the carpet to the best of their abilities.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
i have seen a few...and its 6" or so above the ground to.....

oh and it had a 25' 1.5" whip...

Mike Draper

It is a fact that a larger droplet of water will carry more heat than a small droplet. So Im confident there is a difference.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
How about a carpet weight test? Use identical carpets, weighing the same amount, soak them down, extract them and weigh them after. I'll put the Zipper up against anything besides a ride-on extractor.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mike Draper said:
It is a fact that a larger droplet of water will carry more heat than a small droplet. So Im confident there is a difference.

Have you bought your thermometer yet???
or are you still speculating and guessing what you think you know???

Harbor Freight is still open in you 'hood

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

I dont need a thermometer to tell if larger drops of water carry more heat than smaller. If I make it to mikeyfest I will do the event. I wont know if I can make it until mid feb.

all my wands are high flow so i cant do a test with a hack wand.

Bjorn

who in the world is really going to care except Ron verner, when most of you guys either use a aw29 vietnamese knock off or an 802 1 1/2 Romanian knock off with a 50 foot 1 1/2 inch whip

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I dont need a thermometer to tell if larger drops of water carry more heat than smaller. If I make it to mikeyfest I will do the event. I wont know if I can make it until mid feb.

You didn't answer Mikey's question. So Mike needs to plan if you might make it :roll:

who in the world is really going to care except Ron verner, when most of you guys either use a aw29 vietnamese knock off or an 802 1 1/2 Romanian knock off with a 50 foot 1 1/2 inch whip

What T says

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Erik said:
How about a carpet weight test? Use identical carpets, weighing the same amount, soak them down, extract them and weigh them after. I'll put the Zipper up against anything besides a ride-on extractor.
We tried that in Santa Cruz a couple years ago. TOO many variables and extremely difficult to do.

I wouldn't undersell the greenhorn.

What was the test someone suggested? Vacuum and clean with a wand verses not vacuum and clean with 360i, then vacuum both after they dry. someone suggested it during one of the 360i threads I recall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom