Mmmm... which upholstery tool to get?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I've used a really old POS that came with my truck. I don't do a whole lot, but next year I plan on it.

I've heard scary things about Sapphire's here...
Prochem's looks like a truck, but also bulky
Castex looked okay. No one's ever commented about them.

I'm looking for good input before I make the investment.

Bob Foster

Don't be scared of the Sapphire. The hose problem was just a bad run of hoses and that has been sorted out. Great tool IMO. If you're new to upholstery it is one of the safest tools on upholstery you could get. Plus you can pull off some major production with one.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I have a sapphire on the way, and I'm not worried in the least. I currently use a hydrokinetic And love it, but like Friday when I did 1 sectional, 7 loves seats and 8 chairs your fingers start to get numb. I wish the place I ordered from hadn't been out os stock so that we could have dual upholstered! After the upholstery we did 10 dorms and about 7/8k carpet

S

sam miller

Honestly I think when ever your doing a ton of Upholstery by the end all tools suck! its just what tool sucks less!

The sapphire tool has a bigger head and I like it more then my prochem never used a drymaster or hydrokinetic

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I like my drimaster. Its great for doing alot if work because theres no trigger. I could never go back to a trigger like the new saphire tool

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

Bob Foster

joeynbgky said:
I like my drimaster. Its great for doing alot if work because theres no trigger. I could never go back to a trigger like the new saphire tool

Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

The Sapphire has a trigger lock to leave it on continuous. I think most people run them continuous.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Sapphires are a good tool if you're going to start
Hydrokinetic is very nice to work with as well
Both leave the fabrics very dry

Go to Connections and strike a deal !gotcha!
Thats where I got sold on the HK. At that time the only other "option" was the orig Drimaster, the CFR tool, and Prochems.

Don't go cheap, spend a little extra. You'll feel its money well spent on the first sofa you really need to keep as dry as possible.

Oh, take a good course too! It comes in handy to know "how" to use the tool.
Pemberton's
Marsh's
you won't regret it

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I have the:
Saphire tool
The first generation Hydrokinetic
And the PSI tool that Larry has the link to above.

From all these the one that get used regularly is the PSI tool.
Cheaper, more durable and maneuverable, allows you to reach the hard to reach areas and cleans better.
Other than that, it's a POS :p

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ofer Kolton said:
From all these the one that get used regularly is the PSI tool.
Cheaper, more durable and maneuverable, allows you to reach the hard to reach areas and cleans better.
Other than that, it's a POS :p

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's a "PMF" tool , Ofer

it's still one of the best upl tools ever IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD... !gotcha!

You may need to adjust the PSI for some of the "fuzzy" fabrics .
But it's a great all purpose upl tool

you can buy other "board de jour" tools latter .
But if you can only buy one upl tool, get the PMF "internal"* jet tool

* not to be confused with the external or "enclosed" jet tool of same tool body design .
Those are good tools for detailing steps, around toilets, tight spots or car carpet , etc.

But the "internal" jet tool is better for upl

..l.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
would you use the PMF tool on silk or other fine fabrics?

I'd use it on anything you can put moisture on.

have you ever used one, Ron??
They leave the fabric quite dry cause they don't push spray "thru" the fabric

..L.T.A.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have used the Hydrokinetic since 1985. I also occasionally use the PMF internal jet. I have demoed the SS tool and liked it. Check out all three by doing a side by side demo. Turn the pressure up and see which will clean well and safely by leaving the fabric dryer.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Think I tried one YEARS ago. But since I had been using a Kleenrite the PMF felt very awkward. I can see its advantages however for getting into the tight areas, but the new tools dont shoot water into the fabric either. If you don't have that tool adjusted correctly it will shoot water into the fabric.
Plus the metal edges don't make it the most appealing when working on fine fabrics, unless they are very smooth with no sharp edges. Thats why I like the teflon head on the HK tool.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I have been using a prochem for the last 2-3 years. Before that I had an original drimaster and liked it too. I got a pmf with my new truck and it sucks, its gotta be the most non-ergonomic tool and the easiest way for a person to develop carpal-tunnel ever...

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ron Werner said:
would you use the PMF tool on silk or other fine fabrics?
I used it on silk, velvet etc; works well.
The only thing missing (but it is also missing from the other tools) is the ability to mist.
However the no dripping, over spraying makes up for it.
To my experience the other tools, including the Saphire, still leave some marks that need to be taken out.

However, as been discussed many times before and even more so for upholstery tools, it's a personal preference. What some like, the others hate.
See if you can borrow and try different tools to form your own opinion.

Ron, the only problem can be wood edges and a for a careful cleaner like you, that should not be a problem. The metal edges are as smooth as the other tools. Roto-molded head can damage wood just as well, if the cleaner is not careful.

The best tool is what one feels most comfortable with.
I own the Saphire, PMF, Drimaster. Owned or worked in the past with Kleenrite, Kinetic, US products (the one that comes in the box with different detachable heads.)
And my preferred one is always the PMF tool. Unlike Chris I find it very ergonomic.

Go figure?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Chris Adkins said:
I have been using a prochem for the last 2-3 years. Before that I had an original drimaster and liked it too. I got a pmf with my new truck and it sucks, its gotta be the most non-ergonomic tool and the easiest way for a person to develop carpal-tunnel ever...
It's funny how that goes Chris.
I find the Prochem tool to be way too heavy, unwieldy and very hard on my wrist.
Different strokes for different folks.

Whatever tool you are using, if done with attention and the right technique the results will be very good.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Chris Adkins":39133vpv]I have been using a prochem for the last 2-3 years. Before that I had an original drimaster and liked it too. I got a pmf with my new truck and it sucks, its gotta be the most non-ergonomic tool and the easiest way for a person to develop carpal-tunnel ever...
It's funny how that goes Chris.
I find the Prochem tool to be way too heavy, unwieldy and very hard on my wrist.
Different strokes for different folks.

Whatever tool you are using, if done with attention and the right technique the results will be very good.[/quote:39133vpv]

Fo sho

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I just got the Sapphire tool, can't believe I ever worked without it. I never push Upholstery, cause I hate doing it. Now I ask just about all of my customers if they have anything they want cleaned. 3 weeks and it has paid for itself already. And those are sales I wouldn't have even pursued.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
I've the sapphire tool since last November and its great. A couple of weeks ago we did a lot of drapes in place and it was a pleasure because it's so light.
I've also had both the newer and older versions of the drimaster but only carry the old version now because they hadn't been able to correct the metal clip coming off and potentially ripping material.

The tools available today are so far superior than what I used when first in the business in the late 80's

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Saphire here as well, so far no issues, prob been a year now since I got it from Jim.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The Sapphire and Hydrokinetic are both fine tools. They would be my top 2 choices.

The Hydrokinetic is on sale at Interlink with the coupon from the mailer, you get $50. There is also a video on how it works and compares with several other tools. YOu can watch the video on the Interlink Supply Facebook page.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Anton Chigurh said:
Ofer
I'll buy that Sapphire from you if you want to sell it.

Half off of course since it's used. :p

:mrgreen:

Thanks Richard.
It's double the price since it was used by a certified Mikeys Board top notch upholstery cleaner.
Some of my talent may actually rub off and benefit some of them Oklahomians you tend to employ :p

Triple if I sign it.
Quadruple if I bless it.

And bless I will.

Please send a check to my Lagos PO box.

F

FB7777

I'm an old dawg like MeAt and my upholstery tool of choice is the internal jet PMF as well. I have a couple dri master tools for certain fabrics.

It easy to mist and clean with the PMF tool and detailing corners and skirts is EZ with it

I found the SS tool to be too wide.

I do like the locking trigger feature tho

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
pfred said:
I'm an old dawg like MeAt and my upholstery tool of choice is the internal jet PMF as well. I have a couple dri master tools for certain fabrics.

It easy to mist and clean with the PMF tool and detailing corners and skirts is Pencil with it

I found the SS tool to be too wide.

I do like the locking trigger feature tho
Yes, us old dawgs know a good tool when we find one.

Fred, a rubber band around the metal trigger, will provide you with a locking mechanism.
As it happens, I am now selling these special locking devices for less than an Andrew Jackson, shipping included!
Hurry, while supplies last :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom