Mold removal suggestions...

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
So we have a long time customer that has a mold problem. We had a mold consultant come check it out and write a protocol. He basically said that remediation wasn't needed, only cleaning.

I've got about 600sf of mildew on gypsum and studs that needs cleaned. I've got 5 ladies ready to roll on it.

What is your favorite method of cleaning this stuff?

Microban and rags?

Talk to me.

@Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We had a mold consultant come check it out and write a protocol. He basically said that remediation wasn't needed, only cleaning.
Cover your ass!

Critical barrier from the homeowner while processing. Run neg air and hepa vacuum, then wipe down. If for any reason you would end up in court you'll be able to say you went above and beyond the protocol. :cool:

P.S. don't fook up! ;)

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Agree with Rich. Placingt barriers and true HEPA vacuum are key parts of the job even if it is only cleaning.

Also be aware that cleaning may not remvoe 100% of the discoloration. That can be a separate step using a stain killer like Concrobium, Fiberlock Advanced Peroxide Cleaner or such.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea just because its not high levels of mold doesn't mean that the homeowner couldn't be affected by the environmental dust plum you create if you were to just jump into it without some environmental controls in place.

Safe rather than sorry when you're dealing with such litigious projects. :winky:

Reactions: J Scott W

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
Cover your ass!

Critical barrier from the homeowner while processing. Run neg air and hepa vacuum, then wipe down. If for any reason you would end up in court you'll be able to say you went above and beyond the protocol. :cool:

P.S. don't fook up! ;)

Don't worry about that. I'm not dealing with a homeowner.

It is just a private school with a 300 rich kids that go there! I got this! :eekk:

Actually, this joint has been barriered off and HEPA-ed for a few weeks.

We are pretty thorough and already at least one notch above a hack.

I got very frustrated with an uncooperative adjuster. He wouldn't help me or go onsite. So I wrote up a really ridiculous estimate with stupid high numbers. He signed off on it and released the money the same day.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It is just a private school with a 300 rich kids that go there! I got this! :eekk:
Sounds great. :errf:

We have several going this week a couple of small ones. One at a high school and a closet in a home and a window at another home. The we have a dental clinic they shut down we just started today and are supposed to work all week at. Plus a big one for an attorney that wants it asap. An a t t o r n e y! :eekk::eekk::eekk:

Reactions: Jeremy N

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Setting up a fan with an elephant trunk is simple, as is curtaining off the area. Of course, a crazy strong HEPA vacuuming.
For surface mold, I use a HVLP spraygun to atomise a strong enzyme (zymeaway.org) and lay it down well. That digests the organism, including the spores.

Then I use a steam mop at 380F to swab all surfaces, searing every square inch (this penetrates a bit to where spores might be, in the cardboard. That physically cleans the surface.

The last step is to do a similar workover of the carpets on the whole floor, or at least the room and adjacent rooms to mitigate (not eliminate) tracked mold.

I don't overcharge. That's why I don't have nice things...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Hey don't over charge EITHER. Its hard hot work undesirable work in a tyvek and full face respirator. We charge enough to pay the tech's well and a rate commensurate with the risk & liability involved.

bitch! ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom