Most supply shops are hurting right now

Mikey P

Administrator
my theory is that most carpet cleaners that shop in industry supply stores aren't savvy enough to shop online and are slow as can be..

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Got my machine worked on by Greg in Santa Clarita, met Sam Haddad he had some nice toys.

Greg stays busy fixing stuff

PXL_20230313_194806616.jpg PXL_20230313_183559829.jpg PXL_20230313_183619160.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
A local supply company employee told me his only customers that were doing well were the ones cleaning apartments. I was his first customer at 1pm, and there was no other staff on duty. That was a few weeks before they closed.

Probably has more to do with the COVID shut-down of offices and employees refusing to go back. The "unsafe" level of soil is a worker concern in the office, along with appearance concerns for the employer. Those employees don't care so much in their own homes where they have to pay for cleaning, and less work means fewer purchases.

Also doesn't help sales when equipment makers still can't get parts, and van makers have jumped on the excuseflation train to jack up prices.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
we have more money than we can find contractors to spend it with fast enough.

we have a new $5.5mil senior living facility going up that's way behind schedule due to lack of contractors.
another $2.7mil building renovation that's in the same boat.

The stuff that I personally handle ($50 to $90K res rehabs) is tough going too.
I'll invite 5-6 contractors to a pre-bid and lucky to get two to show up.

Currently have 3 rehabs in progress totaling over $220K.

I'll have three more to bid out by the end of the month.
My staff estimate on them will be $180K between the three

Electricians, plumbers and lead abatement contractors have been the most behind.

..L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
We just hired a new mechanic/installer full time. We had been getting by with two part time guys, but with truck mounts and parts more readily available, it was a necessary move.

We’re keeping the part time guys too.

Things are good here in the Mid Atlantic States.

Last edited:
Name
Jeff T
I know my supplier is drumming up business right now. I spent almost an hour on the phone with him today.

Things are heading for a major crash, both up here, AND south of the Canuckville border…..

Not to play the pessimist,

BUT,

Are you ready?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I order supplies from JonDon.com and get them in 1-2 days.
Im glad I know how to repair my own machines. I have little faith is the under paid, under skilled champs my local suppliers hired.

Reactions: Dr. Kleen

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
I gave Mr Patel a price for his hotel of 4 floors two weeks ago. Haven’t heard anything back from him, i gave him a fair price. In fact a bit lower than what the job is worth. Have not heard back from him. Guess Mr Patel is feeling the sqeeeeeeze.
oh well, I’m not too giggly to work for Mr Patel anyway.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I think we may be headed for a major shakeout.
Who will still be around afterwards?
Well direct sellers have less over head, guys working out of their home with vans paid off are less desperate.

But everyday there's another brand some guy whose cleaned for a week swears by, or sells.

I need a company with a full list of stuff CTI, Prochem, ect ect.

Not just a pre spray seller.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
When the sun is out we are booking jobs and keeping our guys busy but it has been raining 2-4 days a week
I think once the weather clears up and as tax money comes trickling in we will be busy

That relates back to the supply end.

When its gloomy in my region, I'll call my company number to see if my phone is working. When its sunny, my sales people are putting people on hold to take multiple calls.

Funny how that happens :)

roro

Name
Ross Craig
When its gloomy in my region, I'll call my company number to see if my phone is working. .....Funny how that happens :)
My wife was GM of a surgical hospital. People do not ring up and say can I book a hip operation, or nose job and I'd like it tomorrow.
And yet the ringing phone in my business would die in sync with hers.
After years of considering this Jim my conclusion is that the Big Guy in the Sky just moves in mysterious ways and the wisest of us knows not why.

J

JS41035

So many commercial jobs tell me I’m the only one who showed up to give an estimate.
I have 5 I need to get sent out today. And I’m headed out tonight to clean all night. I’m grateful for my son. He is only 18 but is basically doing almost all of my commercial CC stuff. He got a 100 tip last week. I never got a 100 tip. He has such a good attitude that it’s tempting to overload him.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I’m the only one who showed up to give an estimate.

Years back a guy comes in to start up a carpet cleaning business. When he told me he's going to make a fortune at it, I had to slow him down and ask why he thought so:

He said:

"I manage a big department store, and I can never get anyone to show up for an estimate. Whoever I do manage to get, I end up paying whatever he says. Business must be great for guys to act like that."

He was wrong of course, but it is true that a lot of guys just don't work hard to get business.

You would also be surprised how many cleaners don't answer their phones, or use their cells and don't clear out their voice mail and can't be left messages.

Reactions: Mikey P and JS41035

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom