Moving a shaft drive WM

Name
Lee Stockwell
My next project will be moving a faithful White Magic Pro 2000 from an extended 1999 Chevy 3500 into a 2012 Chevy 2500.

Should be pretty straight forward putting it all back together, restoring as I go. The glitch will be going from the 5.7 engine to the 4.8 in the newer one. Also going from vacuum pod speed control to electronic.

I'll take some pictures as I go, even of my goof ups.

The last time the '99 needed to work was last November just before our AZ trip. We've managed at reduced capacity since then with the 2014 Chevy/ prochem 405 setup. However I missed the ease of the direct drive setup, and occasionally NEED two trucks here. Justin lets me borrow one of his, but it gets crunchy juggling routes.

Somebody said it couldn't be done, so that made the project irresistible to me. Suggestions and such appreciated. I'll try to remember how to post pictures again.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
I loved that thing.....only thing I have left off of it is the roots 47 I swapped in for one of the 4MPs

gave the tanks and frame to the local meth head metal guy

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My next project will be moving a faithful White Magic Pro 2000 from an extended 1999 Chevy 3500 into a 2012 Chevy 2500.

Should be pretty straight forward putting it all back together, restoring as I go. The glitch will be going from the 5.7 engine to the 4.8 in the newer one. Also going from vacuum pod speed control to electronic.

The last time the '99 needed to work was last November just before our AZ trip. We've managed at reduced capacity since then with the 2014 Chevy/ prochem 405 setup. However I missed the ease of the direct drive setup, and occasionally NEED two trucks here. Justin lets me borrow one of his, but it gets crunchy juggling routes.

Somebody said it couldn't be done, so that made the project irresistible to me. Suggestions and such appreciated. I'll try to remember how to post pictures again.

Thanks!
Nice project. Keep a record of how many hours you put in. Hopefully you can use the same driveshaft. I always hear it's too expensive to move a pto.

Rick J

Name
rick Jones
Nice project. Keep a record of how many hours you put in. Hopefully you can use the same driveshaft. I always hear it's too expensive to move a pto.
I have heard that as well.
A large outfit here did it on a regular basis. Had the distributor do it. While WM was still viable.

don't know now though.

They, the distributor, told me that WM parts were hard to come by nowadays.

steve_64

Thanks!
I will be following this. I really miss mine. It was easier to work out of than the butler.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I'd like to move my 96 Butler to a new truck. It's still just a baby with 8000 hours. Anybody do this? I've also got a 2010 with about 10,000 hours we should probably move to a new truck soon, or sell the whole thing. Truck engine is getting a little tired, maybe.

FredC

Village Idiot
Do not know it true but heard that some sort of tom foolery with company monies was the culprit.

yep...at least that seems to be the cause

went out of biz in December 2010....may be other factors

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
wish you guys well
but this is the main reason I never considered a DD.
(in spite of the their virtues over slde-ins)

The unit WAY outlasts the van
and if you can't afford or don't want $1000-$1200 hundred plus a month payments ...forever
In 7 to 10 years, the van's worn out, beat to hell and/or looks like it belongs in the demo derby
but the unit barely reached it's half life for the Carpet Commando that averages 500-700 hours a year
(and less than that now that Oh-Pee is gonna be a thang)

and you can't just fork it out of one van, and bolt it down another on a Sunday afternoon

..L.T.A.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I swapped a Hydramaster CDS from an older chevy to a newer model years ago. Don't remember it being too difficult, just takes time. Yep, my machine was 25 years old when I sold it and last I heard, it was still running.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Lee Stockwell
The first owner of mine got ten years out of it, until the end of his career.

The boys put a new crate motor in it in 2011 and it got nearly another decade.

It is great to work out of, I have an electric reel at the side door, everything easy to reach. 2 x 100gallon waste tanks, 125 fresh. Two 45 blowers, 5cp pump, no transfer plumbing needed. There are advantages to both....so I will have both.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I just paid out my lease on my2016...
I’m embarrassed to say what the rig finally cost me...
But, it’s made me 980,000 over 4 years....
You should be embarrassed if you spent that much on cars and boats (Damon Fever) just to play in. But for business sake...$88,600 is pocket change compared to other businesses. If it made you money over 10 times the amount you spent...you shouldn't be embarrassed

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
You should be embarrassed if you spent that much on cars and boats (Damon Fever) just to play in. But for business sake...$88,600 is pocket change compared to other businesses. If it made you money over 10 times the amount you spent...you shouldn't be embarrassed
You couldn’t keep up with me even if you had a tailwind.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
Will you be running 'v' belts or serpentine on front end? I wonder if the new van on drive by wire would require the 'high idle ' feature?
Do you have the mounting brackets for the 4.8?

Name
Lee Stockwell
6 rib serpentine. (Would prefer 8)

I'll drop 300 on an electronic speed control. (I want adjustable/ multiple speeds)

I may have to fabricate a front end bracket.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Hope it's not a 120 inch serpentine
Running a Gates HD green stripe

It fails once it's stretched an inch

Name
Lee Stockwell
Is the crankshaft pulley compatible on the 4.8 from the5.7?
To answer the spirit of your question, there are other potential issues. Perhaps bolt locations for the belt tensioner and the clutch (front end attachments).

The shaft has to be on the same angle as the engine crank, and fit in a precise area often in conflict with AC compressor or other components. That will be issue #1, that will dictate how to proceed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom