Mr. WAND-WAND

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
One of the most important aspects of cleaning a carpet has to be THE WAND in the hands of the operator, and more importantly, his technique.
IMHO, this is commonly over looked because we all assume the Operator knows what he is doing at that end of the hose even though most of us know at the same time (who do demos), that many so called "professionals" are not doing it correctly and sometimes blame it on either the cleaning agents, the machine, or the clients carpeting.
I witnessed this just the other day. A customer asked for a demo of our newer and very powerful HWE Industrial system. This particular Gentleman had 20 years in this industry, so he said.
Right out of the gate after engaging the machine, it took off like a rocket (!!) with only 50 feet of hoses attached, demoing on a filthy carpet he brought, he stroked the wand across the carpet as if he was building pyramids or triangles (moving left-to-right). I didn't say anything at this point, but thought to myself, "wow, this Gent has a lot to learn!"
Anyways, while looking up toward the heavens praying (LOL); he stopped, got down to feel how dry the carpet fibers were, etc......The first thing that came out of his mouth was: "WOW! what terrific results;... That's a great machine!"
He immediately put his money on the table and purchased the machine. Wonderful. He asked if he could leave his "sample" carpet and if we could dispose of it. "Sure, no problem."
But, after he left, we turned on another (same model) Industrial System and re-did what he already had done instead using (IMHO) the proper wand technique flushing the fibers back and forth; then with a couple dry passes. The difference was truly different and amazing to say the least!
Conclusion; Perhaps we should all focus and emphasis a lot more on the wand as an integral part of a truly complete and proper clean because I believe it has been the most overlooked aspect.
Best to all;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

Reactions: Erik and Russ T.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ed, did you point out the error of his ways so that in future he would have a much better wand technique and, as such, be more professional in his work??

:yoda:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Right out of the gate after engaging the machine, it took off like a rocket (!!) with only 50 feet of hoses attached, demoing on a filthy carpet he brought, he stroked the wand across the carpet as if he was building pyramids or triangles (moving left-to-right).
:eekk: I've cleaned that way for decades. With a TM of course but just like that, triangle and dry stroke.

Am I missing something?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
:eekk: I've cleaned that way for decades. With a TM of course but just like that, triangle and dry stroke.

Am I missing something?

Instead of one flush forward, one dry backward, move to the next area, try flushing forward and back, then a couple of dry strokes.

Don't dry stroke it too much though. :lol:

:yoda:

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
OMG Ed...................Do you assume that we are ALL..................REtardS?
I remember a janitor class I took (wanted to appear educated) where they were teaching how to run a buffer.
Now that was something to actually learn......................

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Ed maybe your development time should be on that project you 've been meaning to make all of these years.
You take an old beat up suitcase out of a dumpster and put some vac motors and a pump in it.

Call it your "Transient TM "

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Where ever I go you are...........there!
STALKER!

Bitch!
smiley-angry015.gif

Mikey P

Administrator
Ed's story reminded me of the time in my first week into this racket when I was with Millers Carpet Care.

I was doing the $12.50 two room shuffle at a woodsy house in Topanga Canyon getting my ass kicked by a sweet and sour smart ass ex hippy who only wanted to pay the coupon price.
The manger called the home owner and asked to speak to the Cleaning Technician (he wanted to check in see if and what I up-sold there).
She came looking for me in the other room and handed me the phone. After I hung up and started wanding again she stops me and says.."Oh btw Mr Cleaning Technician, don't you think the cleaning would go better if that hose was attached?"

I looked behind me and that vacuum hose had fallen of the wand about 50 square feet back..

That suck ass Uncle Sam portable was so weak I didn't even notice it with my raw rookie eyes..lol

Last edited:

tubad sosad

Name
joe mama
the wand is the most important piece of equip to use with a TM. it is the only thing that touches the carpet and how fast you move it and how ofteen you trigger it is very important.

also some guys have shoulder and back problems because of the way they wand. most cleaners never think about customiz ing there wand to make it fit better for them. the prochem ti wand is a very well made wand but it is also longer than most other wands. I see a lot of videos where on the bacck stroke the elbow is bent and the shoulder is pulled up because they are tryin to make a good pull stroke with a long wand.

the wand trigger was desighed to be easy to use. if a wand if fit for you then your arm should be relaxed and straight and your shoulder should move back and forth like a pendulum....not tight but relaxed too. but the key is that when you want to trigger the wand just let it fall into your hand. you dont have to squeeze the trigger as gravity willl do the job. But this is not able to do if you are always fighting a wand that doesn't fit you.

I think the zipper is a great design with both handles and will make a difference as it will fit everyone who uses it. i am short so i noticed the length of the ti wand was not right for me right away. i played around with one and figured out that it needed to be cut down about two inches to fit me better. for residential i think maybe three inchs might work better around furniture. I would get a small zipper for all the big open areas, the ti and zipper would be a very good combo for resi jobs.

Reactions: Ed Valentine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom