Muffler for blower?

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Any of you tell me whats a good muffler to attach for the blower?

I have been working on this SG 47 and after speeding up the blower the old muffler that came with it fell apart.

Will a muffler like DynaFlow work for the blower or is there something special that should be used.

Thanks

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i guess i should remember the part # but i don't.....its the 13" body off/in..off out 3"...you gotta get it ceramic coated yorsef if you want it to last forever...........

insideflowmaster.jpg

ECONOG1.jpg

Name
John LaBarbera
bob vawter said:
i guess i should remember the part # but i don't.....its the 13" body off/in..off out 3"...you gotta get it ceramic coated yorsef if you want it to last forever...........

insideflowmaster.jpg

ECONOG1.jpg

I sure like your work, Bob. It's the best.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
No larry it takes TWO to quiet a 47.....one at the blower ...then ANOTHER underneath....
CRASH gets 16Hg wit his Genie plumbed that way...
ask him!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Bob- does that matter that there is a sharp 45 degree angle right at the blower outlet?

For some reason I always believed that the blower should have the straightest plumbing possible on both the in and out side to not choke it down.

We need to quiet down an old Sledge Hammer unit (duane bulit) with a 47 in it, and was just wondering about a muffler too.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ron Werner said:
nice belt tensioner on that Bob. Very simple
a BETTER picture of the tensioner system...

very easy to change belts......
notice the Gates green belts....the very best to use

pimpogenieside.jpg

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
I'll have to check but I dont think I can fit one inside by the Blower. It has two HX's setting beside it also.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
A 47 turning at 3200+rpms makes alot of noise, you really need a Stoddard silencer If you want it quieter. I used a 36 for a while with dual mufflers and it was a little too loud at 3400rpms but with a silencer it humms. More expensive yes but well worth it. Bobs Genie's are great with mufflers with the system turning at a quiet 2000rpms or so. He makes a nice genie thats for sure. :mrgreen:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
thanks....... but if you can get 15-16 Hg turning it 1900-2000 RPMs....
why not?

and Larry...you can MOVE that HX anywhere you want...ya know!

i lik to set them between the seats...so i can keep an eye on it!

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Jay D said:
Never mind :lol:

Was not asking about the "Stoddard silencer" you posted about. Thats the piece of Sh!t thats on there now and is completely rusted and now falling apart. Why spend that kind of money for something thats just going to rust out when you can buy cheaper and still replace it as needed.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Like Jay said. If you run that 47 blower faster thn 2000rpms its going to be real loud even with two mufflers. I run a blower heat exchanger and two mufflers that Les recommends. Normally run at 2800rpms and it is too loud for my liking. Going to install a Stoddard this winter.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Shane T said:
Like Jay said. If you run that 47 blower faster thn 2000rpms its going to be real loud even with two mufflers. I run a blower heat exchanger and two mufflers that Les recommends. Normally run at 2800rpms and it is too loud for my liking. Going to install a Stoddard this winter.

Shane have you ever used one of the things Larry Cobb is selling?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Nope. Doesn't look all that different. Just looks like a muffler with baffles and perhaps some insulation. The only thing that may help some when using mufflers as silencers is to put the first one directly attached to the blower(like Bob's). I think silencers are also made of much heavier gauge metal with insulation between layers. This reduces noice through the body of the silencer. The mufflers on mine have done a fair job of quieting the noise out the end, but still too much resonate noise around the system. Just my humble opinion.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Anybody ever cut their stoddard apart.
I had a 2" for a # 4 Sutorbilt

All that was inside of the 2 layers of rolled steel
was one baffle plate at the midway point and a perforated
1 1/2 inch passing through the baffle from chamber to chamber.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Shane T said:
Nope. Doesn't look all that different. Just looks like a muffler with baffles and perhaps some insulation. The only thing that may help some when using mufflers as silencers is to put the first one directly attached to the blower(like Bob's). I think silencers are also made of much heavier gauge metal with insulation between layers. This reduces noice through the body of the silencer. The mufflers on mine have done a fair job of quieting the noise out the end, but still too much resonate noise around the system. Just my humble opinion.

NO..you don want one wit the insulation in it...cuz you WILL suck water and it'll be a wet soggy mess that will rust out.....
may as well put a glass pack on it..........

you DO rinse yor blower out wit water don ya?

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
KevinD said:
you DO rinse yor blower out wit water don ya?

Never. I had my old 45 blower out and looked inside last winter after probably 25 yrs and it was very clean.
I respect your work and opinion but I don't see the need. I've never had a blower stick either even the one that set for month at a time without being used. BTW I never lub with WD40 either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom