"My allergist said..."

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Customer put in new residential carpet three months ago. Headaches and congestion, so the allergist (who has a flipping allergist?) says it is the carpet offgassing formaldehyde. His recommendation was to get a good hot rinse.

I didn't get the job. Some lowballer offered $50 less...

Elves came back a bit down. I reminded them that we actually do not know what is causing the customer such distress, could be fresh paint, fresh carpet or anything. We may have dodged an awkward situation.

My question is about the formaldehyde and how one would remedy that. I had instructed the lead elf to use Flex with citrasolv to take ouls off the fiber, followed by a nice hot rinse. They were also to scrub it in with the DP420 in order to pull up the tons of loose fiber new carpet has.

Anyone have some words of wisdom to lay on me?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The best way would be to use a HEPA air scrubber with an Odorklenz filter for gasses. That filters nano technology has more media to trap gasses like formaldehyde.​

Check with your local Interlink about renting an HEPA 500, you need to but the filter separate.

The worst/cheapest, heat the house up and accelerate the off gassing.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
And the rinse she got? Any benefit? One concern I had was that it all might be coming from the backing and padding.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The rinse was probably a good first approach. It could have been the cure, unfortunately it wasn't. You are right it's more likely the cushion or glues the bond the cushion if rebond.

The nice part about air scrubbing is that it is passive. You are not adding something that could cause her more grief. This traps gasses as they are processed through the unit. Activated charcoal could also work but the Odorklenz has so much more surface media to effectively knock down the odor.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I know people on here like a problem like this and the process of fixing the problem.

Not me, if I was you I'd be happy she used someone else and her problem would be all forgotten by me when the call ended.:neutral:

WAIT! Did she hire you and when you sent your crew out they got sent away? :madd:

Reactions: Old Coastie

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
There is nothing wrong with that. I'm sure it's a lot less hassle.

We enjoy the challenge, plus we have the experience and tools to process this type of work. Controlling bacteria, viruses, gasses, spores and dust is just something we do daily.

We have (25) Drieaz HEPA 500's and another dozen larger air scrubbers. Lots of HEPA vacuums to control particle clean up.

It's different work but rewarding to be able to solve clients problems.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
So here's the odd question du jour: Rather than laying out $1000 for a Driez 500, could I just rig a fan and box to force air through a 16" x 16" Odorclenz filter? Crude. But would it work to help them?

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
If I was still running my original CC Co. I'd probably be into a whole bunch of different areas in the CC world. With this 2nd go around as a O/O I'm really interested in keeping it on the straight and simple route.

I look for "challenges" in other areas of my life! And sometimes I find it! LOL

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
actually it appears that formaldehyde was restricted for in use for carpets in 1978. formaldehyde is more commonly found in hard wood floor finishes and pressboard materials (mdf) you will find formaldehyde in kitchen cabinets, laminate floors, cheap furniture, etc, but not in your carpet.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No Odorklenz cartridges (filters). Similar idea but much better technology.

This technology was developed in conjunction with Kansas State University for the military for cleaning up after chemical contamination. It was used to absorb dangerous chemical gasses.

It has the ability and track record to do what we need it to do in homes or businesses.

Reactions: J Scott W

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
The allergist must be either an old guy or reading old magazines. Carpet has not had any formalehyde or any component that off-gases formaldehyde since the 1970s.

Carpet will off-gas 4PC which has an odor but not harmful. Adhesives which may be used for glue down carpet, particle board (and similar once was wood products) and some foam padding may off-gas formaldehyde. This is especially an issue with products imported from Asia. American pad manufacturers stop using formaldehyde in late 1990s.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
The sad thing is, this customer will believe the allergist over anyone else. And people with severe allergies to things like that have a very hard time getting past the psychological effects of the reaction.
Walking into those situations can be extremely tricky and you really have to be careful in regards to what you say to them.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Exactly. There are several other environmental factors that could've happened and it truly is just a guessing game.

steve_64

Wow I went with genny to the optemitrist today where she also cleans twice a month. Im usually buzzed when I work with her but I havent been smoking lately because im trying to get my license back.

Ive always noticed how bad the air is there and a lot of other people complain too including employees and customers.

Well today as soon as I walked in I could feel it effect my breathing. I started yawning a lot and my chest started hurting. I got a headache and just really feel like crap. It wiped me out.

We were there an hour and a half for the exam and picking out glasses. Im glad that was all.

I told genny im not going back in there anymore. Im not sure its allergies or asthma but I feel like crap now. Ive never felt this bad from being in there but I have got the scratchy throat and bad taste in my mouth.

I cant wait to get my license back so I can smoke again lol. I would really like to give it up completely but it really does help and peoples allergies can be for real.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I take it you will have to be tested in order to get your license back?
Please reassure me that you don't drive stoned?! Ever since it became legal here the drivers have gotten even worse than they were before.
It's bad enough we have to deal with drunk drivers, stoners are horrible drivers.

Reactions: Able 1

steve_64

Lol yes I have to jump through hoops to get it back.

Id be suprised if there are more stoned people on the road now then before. They have breathalyzers for pot now but I dont think they are in wide use if at all yet.

And no I wont drive stoned.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Whatever is causing the odor is very likely real to her. The issue is that we all have different sensitivities, simply because an irritant doesn't bother you or I doesn't mean that it won't affect someone more sensitive.

Example: I can go out and spend a day in the sun and tan a golden brown, while another person can be working side by side with me but burn to a crisp.

We are all different (thank gawwd I'm glad to be different than bawb vawter :winky:) ans we have to take people for their word if they say something bothers them. :biggrin:

Reactions: ruff

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom