My Beverly Hillbillies Truckmount

Dave Rampage

135,000 miles on the transmission. Every time we change the oil we change the trans filter and replace the fluid that was in the pan. 7 quarts of oil and a filter is cheap every couple of months for peace of mind. The trans fluid is real easy to change. The fluid always looks perfect and the pan is clean, no metal. We took the oil filter apart after the accident and there was nothing in the filter. I am told that would be the first sign of engine wearing out.

I have learned so much doing this. I know every bolt size, how to unhook the steering column, shifter, emergency brake and how to adjust it, I even learned how to straighten the floor. If anybody ever needs to know anything about these machines I probably have the answer. I have also learned that cab is really built well and the structure is way stronger than it looks. I know my truck has many good years left. I was always afraid the truck will rust away and fall apart soon. No way, it has many good years left.

Dave

Reactions: Mikey P

Dave Rampage

Bryan,

It's a lot of work but very rewarding. With the guidance of someone I trust well my son Scott and I have done a lot of the work and have learned a ton.

Dave

Mikey P

Administrator
Too cool Dave, keep the pics coming.

Do your self a favor while you're in there and check your heater core valves. They are notorious for leaking and filling the cab with radiator fluid stench when ever you run the heater.

Dave Rampage

Becker,

We didn't scratch the cab taking it apart but I will be nervous lifting the new one up. I hope we don't have problems with the winch. That cab is heavy. There are only 6 bolts that hold it in place so all we have to do is lift it roll the truck under the cab and drop it down. View attachment 1262

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Bryan,

It's a lot of work but very rewarding. With the guidance of someone I trust well my son Scott and I have done a lot of the work and have learned a ton.

Dave

I applaud your ambition on this project. This would way above my pay grade. Its all i can do to change the oil in my pump and blower.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

Dave Rampage

Mike,

I'll talk to Bob about that but he showed me there is a hose like the one that drains the air conditioning which is supposed to drain under the truck and not in the cab. Maybe it can get plugged up. I know we are going to cut the condenser drain tube slightly because it drains right on the shock that supports the cab and rusts it. Thanks for the advice. I have tons of pics. My daughter took 125 pictures just of us removing the cab. I told her it's like a video when you scroll through all the pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom