My boss got mad I was solicited for work

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I mentioned that I was offered a few informal job offers and my boss was upset.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
He's not a carpet cleaner. He is an RIA NIDR Certified Restorer. He does disaster restoration and and writes a check for roughly half of the things I ask him for. Sure, he's taken the classes and can clean carpets, but it doesn't interest him. He would rather just let me do it.

Bob Foster

Garry you keep that boss of yours on his toes. He too can be replaced just like his customers can replace his company with someone better and more competitive.

I hope he takes this the right way (nudge - nudge - wink - wink $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

You just tell him we all got your e-mail address.

-JB-

Name
JB
He sounds like a TOOL.

PS
Don' tell him I said that okay?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Ate at Moxie's the other night. With an IICRC instructor.Imagine that!

Ron , I love the Sooke area- back in my hippy daze I lived on Sombrio Beach in the search for HIGHER consciousness. Last time(daze over) I did a fishing charter out of Port Renfrew- AWESOME place.

-JB-

Name
JB
Aww c'mom, Martee, ST had nuthin but kinda things to say about you at SFS. :lol:

Driguy

I know we like to share our troubles on these Forums. But you are playing with fire talking about your company and your boss like that. Everything you say on the internet can be googled..

just cya

Scott

Dri is right.

I recall a fellow on the other Red Board who got into a spat with his boss over what started off as a fairly innocuous post about the technician's pay. It turned ugly when the boss found out and confronted him about it. Fortunately for the tech. the boss was a good one and they worked out their troubles offline, but certain things just should not be uttered on a public forum.

Scott

Driguy

Certain larger corporations or franchises, have deals with large inter net groups. I have experienced this personally

All i can say is i added my company name to a blog i had on myspace. under a private account. I had filled out a journal recalling a trauma clean up i had did that day. Because i had the companies name in there they were able to search, or get a report, or some how gain access to my private blog. Now mind you i said absolutely nothing negative. but because i wrote down my thoughts for the day on what i had seen and done, and said i worked for said company this is what happend.

I had to sit in front of the GM of that office and explain why i was sharing company secrets with my Internet friends. Corporate had slapped me with a NDA violation, and gave me 24 hours cease and desist, ( take the blog down or get sued). Corporate wanted them to fire me.. OVER A MYSPACE BLOG with nothing negative on it. my NDA violation was " sharing company procedures". All i put in my blog was that i used tyvek suites and a mask to do a trauma scene clean up for *said* company. and then i described what i saw at the trauma clean up.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
You know, you're right dri-gry, I should me wiser. I'll edit the post so it's more appropriate if it is seen by others.

Driguy

It is a tough decision to make when you start thinking about moving on from your current employment. I mean that by moving on of your own accord. Geting fired or quiting because of bad work enviroment is very easy.

If i were geting solicited for other employment i would do a couple of things.

1. Have personal life goals. Where do you want to be in 10 years? see how moving from this company to another will affect your goals.

2.Evaluate the real pros and cons of where you work currently and your future business

3. Talk to your current manager about #1. If you are a valueble part of his company he will try to retain you. If he could care less, or gets hot headed or fires you, then you have your answer on what would be best of the future of you.

I have struggled with in the past of geting excited at a company that wants to offer me more money better benefits, etc etc,. Knowing that the place i currently work fits where i want to be. Knowing that if i moved i would be limiting what i could learn here and the move would just be about money not personal growth. So geting some xtra $ a year and better bennies isnt worth what i could gain from the personal experiance of my current job.

make sense?

-JB-

Name
JB
...you are playing with fire talking about your company and your boss like that.
Which is precisely why I always keep my employees chained to something really heavy! Desk, Van, 5 gallon pail filled w/cement, you get the idea. :wink:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Hey Gary,

I liked the original title of your thread better. It sure got my attention. At least you used dollar signs!

Steve

PS Get yourself to SFS in January in Chicago. You are talking less than a grand total if you do it right. Your boss has to buy his juice from somewhere. 5K total in purchases from Jon-Don and you have scored a free ticket worth 695.00 and that is just what Nick's food is worth. (There I go again talking about the food at SFS!) The knowledge? Priceless. At least that is what they tell me ...

Greenie

I'm still trying to get past the whole adults using mySpace thing. Keep your journal in a notebook.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Steve Toburen said:
Hey Gary,

I liked the original title of your thread better. It sure got my attention. At least you used dollar signs!

Steve

PS Get yourself to SFS in January in Chicago. You are talking less than a grand total if you do it right. Your boss has to buy his juice from somewhere. 5K total in purchases from Jon-Don and you have scored a free ticket worth 695.00 and that is just what Nick's food is worth. (There I go again talking about the food at SFS!) The knowledge? Priceless. At least that is what they tell me ...

You did get a chance to read the post before I edited it right? Otherwise I got some 'splainin' to do!

Dolly

You would think your boss would rather have been flattered that he has you for an employee and thought with a refreshed sense that he has an asset he may not have and think about your value and maybe even give you more compensation.

Money is not the only way to compensate you either.

But, in many cases and I can understand Gary, he felt more threatened by the possibility of you being gone and then what goes through his head is what will I do.

He won't probably admit that to you, but more than likely that is the case.

He don't want to loose you , but he don't want to compensate you more either.

He like many are bit by the complacency bug . The thought is a disruption in his operation.

Maybe instead of his being uptight, if your not going to move on you may use this opportunity to grow a better relationship and he will let you grow more so you can be an even better asset and feel better about continuing your employment where you are.

It is hard to find good people and people you don't have to go through training phase and learning curve

It will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
"you may use this opportunity to grow a better relationship and he will let you grow more so you can be an even better asset and feel better about continuing your employment where you are."

Darlene said it well, Gary. Maybe you can use all this to gently mention that if your boss truly appreciates you it would be nice if he would comp your ongoing professional training so you can grow to "be an even better asset and feel better about continuing your employment where you are".

If he won't chip in a measly grand (and spend a few bucks with Jon-Don for your free admission) so you can attend SFS I would seriously examine your future ...

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training and Employment Advisor
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS I don't know how much your boss knows about SFS, Gary. It is true that SFS is not a course for technicians. (For that we have our one day "we come to you" "Value Added Service for Technicians" seminar.) SFS is a college level, intensive five day program for owners AND managers of cleaning and restorations businesses. Judging from the quality of your posts and your commitment to business and personal excellence you must at the very least be management material. (whether you have the title or not!)

NOTE: Some truly otherwise great SFS members that run superb multi-truck companies have confided to me that while they would love to send their management team to SFS they cringe away from it due to our emphasis on "entrepreneurial activities". (Read here becoming your own boss.) Valid concern. But I always answer by saying you never keep someone with you through ignorance!

IF an employee is not happy, fulfilled and growing with any boss/ company they WILL seek change. But many of our most successful members have sent their managers to SFS and they emerge committed to the Value Added Service vision and EXTREMELY grateful to the business owner for valuing them enough to send them to such important management training. I would be delighted to chat with your boss, Gary, even if he is upset with me. Your call ...

Better yet,
Tell your boss I wouldn't hire you if you were the last tech on Earth, and I sure as heel wouldn't hire him.

I hope he feels better now. LOL

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Steve, I appreciate the value of getting a free pass for switching my business over to Jon-Don. It's a good deal, but I have local support here, from the very same people that invested the time and care into making me a good cleaner. My business stays with them. (I know you weren't trying to take business from them, you just didn't know where I got my juice from...)

And yes, I am the Manager of this company. The carpet cleaning part at least. I had 1 tech when I started, but I let him go. I have been told I can hire as much help as I can keep busy, and as many trucks as I can keep scheduled.

I think it is kinda funny that anybody would want to hire me, as I don't make this company all that much money. I have doubled business, but it still isn't enough to get me to stop cleaning for $12.00/hour and start cleaning for 35% of the gross. Do the math guys, I don't do a lot of business, I just get busy days in the middle of slow weeks. Funny thing though, business has been steadily increasing during a time when it usually starts dropping off. The recommendations and referrals have been doing their work. I have no desire to leave this company any time soon. I fear however, that if by this time next year I am not working from commission, I will need a job. I also fear if it comes to that I won't be able to get one.

Potential employer: "So why did you leave B&B?"
Me: "Apparently I cost more money than I actually bring to the business."
Potential employer: "Thanks for coming in... Don't call me, I'll call you."

It'll take a little work, but I might be able to get SFS paid for. I'm already half way there, in that he agreed to pay my wages while I was gone.

Dolly

Gary,

It sounds like you have gone to the right place to have insights as to how you may help grow the company your with.

It was good that you went and that your boss paid you the wages while you were gone

Sounds like he thinks well of you enough to send you and hope that the information will benefit both of you and the whole organization.

I wish you nothing less then the best as you look ahead.

Don't let yourself worry. Stand in faith that it will come to you as you go out for it. :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom