my impressions of the new prochem airmover

topnotchman

I just did a job, in a small basement, Berber type carpet, over a thin felt pad. They had some stuff in lots places. I Did just a light wand extraction. Wanted to do in-place drying, way less intrusive then trying to float it or pull the pad. It was a slow drying process being in a basement, but by day 3, all dry. Took longer then I liked, but customer was happy that we didn't have to mess with anything. Nothing special to do it, lot of Ace's drying straight down, and a Drizair 2400. For this situation in-place worked excellent.

steve g said:
the problem with drying pad in place is 2 fold IMO, first the customers around where I work question it and don't think it will work. never mind what I tell them they still don't believe it. I would love for every customer to be mind numb robots and do exactly what I say, but that doesn't always happen I have to make them happy. the second thing is in utah if the carpet is in a basement, which is where I am working most of the time. the pad is laid down on concrete that is likely has a year round temperature of about 55 degrees, this means you have a lot of trouble getting enough heat through air movement to dry it. some practices taught don't always work well in all situations. floating the carpet can get around this to a point, or using a TES unit. I also don't think its a good idea to try and dry pad that has a wood subfloor under it. after all is said and done its just easier to pull the pad out the customer is happy. I only use sub surface extraction on small areas and normally when I am trying to save the customer money. I suppose if you live in the south where most homes are just built on a concrete slab above the ground, then I could see the value in subsurface extraction.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
used-car-salesman.jpg

steve g

Name
steve garrett
John LaBarbera said:
[quote="steve g":yygukfk6]
ACE said:
I like the Omni dry airmovers too, especially know that they can be daisy chained. Correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that insurance will only X amout per day for an airmover regardless the size of the motor or cost. With that in mind, a low amp draw low cost unit like the omnidry is ideal. If you have to use more units that = MORE MONEY :D .

in my area axials pay 3 bucks and some change more a day more. 1hp air movers pay 35/day, however an extra 3 bucks a day doesn't justify the extra 84% that an axial fan costs. its clear we are getting gouged on axial these days. I think with the low draw centrificals coming out, its going to put pressure on the big 3 to get real with the price of axials.

Mytee's Tradewind is 3000 cfm MSRP $229.00 2 amps

Good Quality Low Price.[/quote:yygukfk6]

yeah but it doesn't put out that much air, compared to a phoenix axial, which is also rated at 3k cfm the phoenix unit puts out way more air. I think the tradewinds air output is similar to the drieaz ace which uses 1.5 amps.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
OK, G, you're right I played a little with the Triad and it does seem to move comparable air, but because it is so quite it fools you.

Still not sure how it will work in the field, the guys all turned their nose up at it "It doesn't look like an Airmover". LOL

Name
John LaBarbera
Steve G. wrote

yeah but it doesn't put out that much air, compared to a phoenix axial, which is also rated at 3k cfm the phoenix unit puts out way more air. I think the tradewinds air output is similar to the drieaz ace which uses 1.5 amps.

Mytee uses a similar motor as a Phoenix on the Tradewind , more powerful than an Ace. Similar blade as the Phoenix also. 1/2 the price! Daisy chain and stackable.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The only real negatives I can see is the top air inlet.

It looks like a disaster ready to happen. Not only can it pulling drapes and paper or plastic but if someone accidentally drops anything (screw, nail pen or pencil) down into it, it will fall right into the moving fan blades.

I think the will need to make a new cover that will deflect anything from damaging the fan blades.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Doc Holliday said:
The only real negatives I can see is the top air inlet.

It looks like a disaster ready to happen. Not only can it pulling drapes and paper or plastic but if someone accidentally drops anything (screw, nail pen or pencil) down into it, it will fall right into the moving fan blades.

I think the will need to make a new cover that will deflect anything from damaging the fan blades.

Tom(I think that was his name) @ the Prochem booth @ MF, told me they did some tests where they dropped bb gun pellets in the fan blade while running to see how the blades would hold up. But again like you, I wouldn't want that to happen in real life.

Wonder if a mod screen could go up top to prevent that.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Bill
That's good to know, but my tech's have a greater chance of dropping a wood screw or pen in there. I wonder if my distributor would let me try it with one of them?

I think a better designed cover instead of the grill would do it.???

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
alot of their operating perameter are based on that grill configuration, if that is changed i think the cfm and pressure numbers would decline dramaticly. but that is what i think i just dry structures.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
They dropped Marbles and screws and pens and all sorts of things in it. If someone is dumb enough to put a drape/curtain anywhere near an airmover then they deserve what they get LOL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
John those are fighting words, some of my guys won't appreciate you calling them dummies! :wink:

So if I accidentally drop something in there you will make it right with Leon? :twisted:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the challenge for prochem is going to be fighting perceptions, both me and chavez both experienced restorers, our first impressions were that looks pretty dinky. second thought was it aint blowing much its quiet. it was only after further review that I changed my mind. most guys will not be willing enough to really check it out.

as for drapes, those get sucked into snail fans as well. I don't remember ever dropping a screw on any of my air movers, how often are you messing with screws around air movers, I don't normally. one thing that is nice is the fan and motor can be dropped right out the bottom of the unit. there is a pig tail connector that just unplugs and the whole thing can come out. that sure is alot better than traditional air movers. you can clean the thing, even pressure wash the housing. then put the motor back in easily.

this is an unconventional design no doubt about it. its clear prochem started from scratch with it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I like the 5-screws remove the whole assembly even though we may not use it that often it's nice that it's there. I like the light weight and low amps.

I agree it just doesn't look like an airmover and that will be an obstacle.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Air movers come in a variety of shapes and horse power, amp draw choices. I bought different types of air movers to perform different tasks. Axial air movers move more air with less amp draw and are better for "in place" drying and drying walls from the surface.
Centrifugal air movers with more amps draw float carpets well and can be used with the TES or E TES. I also use them to dry wall cavities with the injectidry (direct it in). Centrifugals with a low amp draw or less power I use with the E TES for maximum heat output or where a lot of air move ment is not necessary.
Where does the Triad fit into my drying plan? What is its nitch? How many liner feet out does the Triad hold 500 FPM? How many inches from center of the snout (right and left) does the Triad have effective (500 FPM) air flow? How far up a wall or out on a floor will it dry? Was the Triad designed to try to compete with the axial due to its lack of power or the centrifugals due to its shape?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom