My Jerk Neighbor is going to Overheat his motor ---Would you help?

rick imby

Name
Rick
My neighbor has been running his 100 horse outboard motor on his boat for at least 25 minutes.

No water. No barrel with water in it, no flush kit. It is one of the newer 4 stroke motors.

I cannot believe that it will not overheat.

It would be terrible if he toasted his motor-----nope I am not going to suggest he run water through the system. His oil has to be boiling by now...

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
My Merc dealer said I could damage the pump and over heat the engine if I tried to run it with out water running through it. If it wasnt smoking or seized , he must of had a garden hose hooked up. I cant believe it would run dry.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
My boat has a Mercruiser Outdrive. All the manuals say the rubber impeller in the lower unit will be damaged if run dry for as little as 10 seconds, and will completely self-destruct in under a minute. I never run it without water. :eekk:

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
A new computerized 4 stroke should shut itself down before it's too late.

Guy is obviously not too brite, though.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Yes it was 4 or 5 year old Mercury about 100 hp and no water anywhere. It was at least 10 minutes before I realized what motor he was running. It idled for another 15 minutes then he started reving it up and down. I will bet his first trip to the lake this year will not be a lot of fun....

Chris A

Name
Chris
On idle it's possible it wouldn't have overheated, but as soon as he started revving it I bet it did. Either way the impeller will be toast when he puts it in the water, won't pump water which he won't notice then the summabitch will blow up

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

rick imby

Name
Rick
I am sure I will not be invited. His wife used to manage apartments and stole a bunch of stuff from my daughter. Her employee ratted her out.... If she had been a man I would have taken things to a different level.. Lying cheating thiefs... I told her what I thought of her. Her husband did not step up----darn.

Able 1

Name
Keith
We(as in we it was my brother inlaw and his friends) got invited to someone's lake house and the guy said "use the ski boat, it's good to go".

So we got up there before everyone and I uncovered the boat and it was a VERY nice boat!! I was really excited, but still uncomfortable because I know boats(hole in the water).. I asked my brother inlaw if he wanted me to drop it in the water he said "yeah go ahead".

So, I hooked up the boat and dropped it in the water, and drove it to the pier maybe a mile.. It ran weird so I took it out again and it was smoking BAD!! It either had a bad water pump, or someone winterized it and pulled the hoses off.

It gets worse... So I paddled back to the launch(I wasn't going to run the engine). So I watch my wife walk down the launch only to slip on the algae and Crack the HELL out of her head!! I mean it was the whole neck snap head bounce off the concrete!

So we are on the way to the emergency room, broke the boat, all in under 2 hours of being there.. What a great weekend!

As far as your neighbor(since he's a asshole) I would have slowly walked over with a beer, and tell him how cool his engine sounds when he revs it like that..:icon_twisted:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom