My Kohler is going in for a transplant tomorrow

Mikey P

Administrator
Back end has an oil leak.
I guess it so common than Kohler has modified the back to help the RV THREADS do its thing..

See that bevel on the lower inner edge?

43441.jpeg

That's where the RVT will gather to do it job..

Kohler is covering the whole tab.

steve_64

Mikey, stop battling that thing and get a PTO. You work that little machine way more than it's probably intended.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Back end has an oil leak.
I guess it so common than Kohler has modified the back to help the RV THREADS do its thing..
See that bevel on the lower inner edge?

That's where the RVT will gather to do it job..
Kohler is covering the whole tab.

Hmmmmm, mine has the same issue.

How much was the new rear cover? Install? My research - it was difficult to find the cover and was like 400+ just for it. Plus install. If they let you know, let me know.
I need this repair or a new engine. Ugggggg! Or just let it leak(not a lot, just annoying) and keep my money. Start over with something else, maybe.

http://mikeysboard.com/threads/paid...-month-a-crack-in-the-engine-uggggggg.284111/

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Hmmmmm, mine has the same issue.

How much was the new rear cover? Install? My research - it was difficult to find the cover and was like 400+ just for it. Plus install. If they let you know, let me know.
I need this repair or a new engine. Ugggggg! Or just let it leak(not a lot, just annoying) and keep my money. Start over with something else, maybe.

http://mikeysboard.com/threads/paid...-month-a-crack-in-the-engine-uggggggg.284111/
If I were you, I'd just get another engine. I don't know your budget, but if you can afford it, go for it. It'll give you at least 5years of no payments. But I remember you saying this truck mount is nickel and diming you to death. Is the nickel and diming the same as a monthly payment, or are you losing any work on downtime? If so, get rid of it, and get a shiny new toy

Reactions: jcooper

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
There is no gasket kit for this

RTV

Well, sometimes the engineers get it wrong the first time...and the second.
If that were my engine a gasket would be made for it before I reassembled it.
I've pulled apart RTV long after the stated cure time just to find uncured wet product.

Which engine is that?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael

That permatex stuff is good we like the grey permatex product best for leaky situations. A lot of mechanics just don't like the idea of spending 25 on a tube sealant.

Reactions: Mikey P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I hope it works out well. The only info I can find on that sealant seems to indicate it's for interior/exterior architectural use, along with ovens and boilers. No mention of oil resistance. Maybe it said so on the tube?

A lot of mechanics just don't like the idea of spending 25 on a tube sealant.
Apparently that's true - the sealant used is $5.99 at Fastenal....

Cheaper is better - as long as it works!

Reactions: Mikey P

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
That's what I used when I rebuilt the 4.7 in my Grand Cherokee - it's still going strong 40K miles later. My sealant of choice!

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom