My new helper

hogjowl

Idiot™
My son is now working with me part time. I haven't had a helper since the late 80's. Once I get him really trained to the point that he knows what to do without having to ask me first, he'll be a huge help. Thing I've noticed is ... my ungrateful customers LOVE him.

I almost never get tips. Once in a blue moon, somebody will pay me a bit more on the check, which I figure is their way of tipping me, but never any cash money. Last two days I have had three people hand me $5, $10, and in one case $20 in cash and say "be sure and give that to your son for me."

What am I ... chopped pork? :?

F

FB7777

I really wish I read this earlier, Luddy and Chavz took all the fun out of your softball question :evil:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Clearly they feel very very sorry for him.

Come to think of it, so do I..............

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
we get them every so often but in the world of tipping, generally speaking, the owner doesn't get tipped

having a helper is great

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
Walrus said:
Is your son a mental handicap and that is the reason for the tips?

Why on earth would you lead your son into this business?

Your son should be going to college and getting a "real" job.

Did you tell him carpet cleaners are nothing more than glorified janitors?

Will his friends respect him?

All this coming from a father with a master's degree and someone who failed at teaching?

What kind of pitiful father are you?

:shock:

Ouch!

hogjowl

Idiot™
Oh ... he IS going to college, but he's just about as interested in it as I was at 19. He'll screw around with it, and be on the 5 or 6 year BS program for awhile and then get serious when he's about 30.

Until then, he'll be cleaning carpets.

He'll get a real job once he graduates and after about 2 or 3 years he'll get fed up with THAT and find himself cleaning carpets again.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Onya Marty, your giving your son real world experiences meeting real, (as opposed to false) people & personalities.

The monetary gains in this industry are only bound by his imagination.

Is Jimmy related to you. :?: 'cos he talks like an in-law, (or should that be outlaw) :?:

Whatever, I digress, I reckon yer doin' a bloody good job lettin' him gain experience in the business for when you shortly retire.

Ooroo,

:roll:

PS ::: Make sure he's up on his marketing skills, there are PIRANHAS about in plague proportions in this industry that'll eat him alive. :wink:

John G.

They give him a tip because they feel sorry for him working for you...

Poor kid!!!!!!!!!!!!

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
admiralclean said:
Once I get him really trained to the point that he knows what to do without having to ask me first, he'll be a huge help.

Send him to train with Vawter, he's got a one day training program.

admiralclean said:
Oh ... he IS going to college, but he's just about as interested in it as I was at 19. He'll screw around with it, and be on the 5 or 6 year BS program for awhile and then get serious when he's about 30.

Until then, he'll be cleaning carpets.

He'll get a real job once he graduates and after about 2 or 3 years he'll get fed up with THAT and find himself cleaning carpets again.

I agree with that. Investing the time and money to train a good helper is the best investment a cleaner can make. The key is finding someone who is good. Good help is hard to find. It takes a person with motivation and good work ethic. Good luck. Hopefully I can find someone real soon. If I do, I will have the biggest smile any of you have ever seen.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Congrats Marty,
He can learn more about people and life cleaning carpets for a few months than 3 years at college.
And develop some people skills which will serve him well in life.

lesterj2

my baby boy which is 3 yrs.old likes to ride in my van so i take him to the store in it..
And when I clean the carpets at his grandmothers job he comes along..
He just loves it...

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I found the same thing. I started taking my Teenager along last summer and he was always getting tips.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Glorifeid Janitor??? With the mark of the janitor vacuum as the symbol for this board I assumed it was the other way around.

Way to go Marty, hope your son does great! I think it is common for tips to be higher when there is a second person, not the owner on the truck. They may even think he works at child labor rates and want to make sure he gets enough.

Ken

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
KevinD said:
admiralclean said:
Once I get him really trained to the point that he knows what to do without having to ask me first, he'll be a huge help.

Send him to train with Vawter, he's got a one day training program.

My new guy Don...has been here about Three or four weeks maybe.....and yes....
it WAS a one day training......program!!!

i attribute this more to the machine i use ... than my astute training ability.........tho!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The tips are to save for plastic surgery so he can fix his face and not grow up to look like YOU!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My 20 year old is on that same plan, 2-years to get 1-years worth of credits! Oh well he needs to get through it now, once he's married, it will be 10-times harder.

I tell him it's all about options, if he graduates and wants to come back here he can, but a degree gives him so many more options.

Dan's son was certain he was going to come back here to work after graduation, but he was offered a job in banking and has settled into a career with Bank of America.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
The tips are to save for plastic surgery so he can fix his face and not grow up to look like YOU!

well spoken Steven....who's holdin' yor drool cup???

Back
Top Bottom