My new helper

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
He'll learn more about life and the real world meeting people in their homes and working for an honest wage than he'll learn in college.

Wherever he goes afterward, this experience will serve him well.

What he's learning about carpet cleaning is incidental to the growth he'll gain from this experience Marty.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Jeremy said:
Did you tell him carpet cleaners are nothing more than glorified janitors?

What is this "glory" I hear you speak of? I haven't seen any of it...
Hey Jeremy,
I think it is a "glorious thing" for an entrepreneur to support their family well, provide for an eventual retirement AND have the freedom to spend their time as they wish while not having to punch a clock PLUS have fun along the way. And knowing you my guess is you feel that way too.

At every SFS seminar I have taught (over 60 now and counting) I've asked the same question to the class, "How many of you ever dreamed when you were in high school that you would be making the money you are now?" Not one person has ever raised their hand. Even with the issues we face this IS a pretty good industry. (Now whether Marty's son is going to feel that way is another matter!)

Island Boy
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I spent some time with Mikey yesterday here at Connections. He seems to be behaving himself reasonably well.

John G.

The biggest problem I see it that "Marty" is going to do the training, and yet he is going to expect the kid to learn something... what is wrong with that picture?

rick imby

Name
Rick
It is truly fun to see your offspring interacting with customers. I sold my bicycle shop that I have run for 29 years to my youngest college graduated child.

That your son is getting tips that you would not have gotten is great. It shows the customers appreciate him.

My goal as a father was to help my kids learn to make good decisions on their own. The greatest gift you can give your child--the ability to make good decisions.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
rick imby said:
My goal as a father was to help my kids learn to make good decisions on their own. The greatest gift you can give your child--the ability to make good decisions.

At 30 my son has this nailed. My daughter is still working on it at 28. But I do have confidence in her. She will get there.

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Look for an upcoming Special Report on how to raise good kids on the SFS site. But it won't come from me. As Sioux and I often say about our kids "Better than we asked of and more than we deserve." Maybe Yeadon can write it. Or Nick Paolella. He raised five daughters and one son that seem to be doing well in life.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
My father and mother did an excellent job in raising their two daughters. One is a top financial executive with an international company, and the other a highly respected teacher who manages to reach inner city kids that everyone else gives up on.

The personal and professional success of the two daughterls helps them to overlook the failure of their son to ever get a real job. :lol:

Hey Marty. Congrats on getting a helper. You don't know how luck you are to have a helper on call when you need him. Just a few questions for you. Are you expecting him to become a certified cleaner or image of yourself, or do you just want him to move stuff and pull hose? Are you paying hime percentage or hourly? One more. Are you going to have him do all your dirty work (clean filters, wash truck, mix chemicals etc.)?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I'm just paying him hourly right now. Once he gets completely trained, and if he ever gets to the point where he's running a crew, I'd probably consider changing him to commission. As far as my expectations are concerned, I see no reason why I shouldn't expect him to be completely certified and a total replacement for me, on the truck, in the future. While we are working together, we swap duties when we are not dual wanding. We both pull hoses and do the crap work according to who happens to be on the wand at the time. The only thing I find myself shirking now that he is with me is taking the 175 or the full 5 gallon Mytee sprayer out of the back of the V.

Old has it's privilages.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
be honest.......you needed someone to pick up the slack because you were spending all your time changing the oil................... :shock:

rick imby

Name
Rick
John G. said:
My goal, as a father, is just to get mine MOVED OUT.

10/4 Copy that!

It is easy to get them to that decision.

Father to son "Now that you are out of school and have a job your rent will be $800 a month."

Son to Father "But Dad I can rent a room with my buddy Evan for $300 a month!"

Father to son "I am really pleased to see that I have taught you how to make good decisions....would you like to borrow my van to move? Do you need a hand moving your bed? The gas tank is full...."

How tough is that? Oh wait you can be tough with customers but you don't have the balls to take on your wife and tell the kids to hit the road? If I make her mad I will never get Laid---and how different will that be...

Mikey P

Administrator
My little joy is at Community College full time (taking business classes :D ) but one or two days a week he'll be cleaning with my "Tech".

For now I have him on hourly but if he gets the tattoo I'll put him on commission.

Next summer he is going to take the Lima out by himself and do my grunt/over run jobs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom