My new set up

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Attention grabbing set up, nice!

We had better durability with Dodge vans than any others in our fleet, with only the occasional fuel or water pump to replace.

Does it steer like a pig due to all the weight out past the rear axle?

Becker

Name
Becker
The Great Oz said:
Attention grabbing set up, nice!

We had better durability with Dodge vans than any others in our fleet, with only the occasional fuel or water pump to replace.

Does it steer like a pig due to all the weight out past the rear axle?

Ive not seen ford in your fleet...
Ya got to switch over man.

I've personally had great luck, besides alignments on older fords.

Don't ask Feehan though.. You already made a fatal error in using hydramaster.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want rear mount on a extended.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You won't see a Dodge anymore either.

We sold off our all Ford fleet in 93 when the irritating constant repairs turned into killer major repairs. The dealer mechanic (repairing engines that were failing under warranty) told us we'd continue to have trouble as Ford had gone way too cheap on just about every part of the vans. Dodge was a pleasant surprise, as we no longer had to keep an auto parts store's worth of parts in stock. We were fortunate to be able to return most of the parts when we dumped the Fords.

When Mercedes killed the Dodge van I took another look at Ford. The Ford fleet dealers were just as bad as they were ten years earlier, not being able to tell me why the old Ford platform was better than the newer GM van, only saying I was an idiot if I even looked at GMs.

The GMs are pretty reliable.

I wouldn't look at a Ford van today (even if reliability has improved) as the platform is now archaic, but I understand it will be replaced by their European van in 2014. It looks much better than the current Fords and if it proves reliable might be worth investigating. That is, if the economy has also killed off the typical Ford dealer.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
adam, I hope you do well.

I have never been a fan of mounting machines out the back, the reason being is you loose the space on either side of the unit or at least the usefulness of it on either side when its going out the back. if you mount it out the side door, it can be mounted right to the back seats, put a tall skinny reel mounted out the back all the way to one side, in this setup there is actually a little bit of room left.

as to dodge vans. I think they are a pretty darn good van, dodge didn't really change very much over the years so the parts were proven and simple albeit dated and ugly looking. I have a 2004 ford e350 that is a great van, but if I was going to buy something older I think dodge would be my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom