My theory on non glide users.

Mikey P

Administrator
I've read a few posts from guys on ICS who say they get better results with out a glide.

Here is some reasons why.

1. Most likely they dont use any form of agitation so the wand's lips are the only choice.
"Wand Scrubbers" will not loosen any soil with Teflon. Those that try end up soaking carpet due to too many cleaning passes.

2. Weak or improperly adjusted TM.
Not enough lift to draw soil through the hole or slot. Soaked carpets.

3.Weak Pre Spray.
Again too many rinse passes leading to wicking streaking and such.

4. Too lazy to pre vacuum.
Bending over sucks for fat lazy folks.

5. No dwell time.
Budget cleaners cant afford to let unscrubbed pre spray take the time to work. Spray and go cleaners hate Glides.

6. Improperly adjusted jet manifolds. If the jet spray is not perfectly tweaked to hit the Glide just so, you get streaks and or soaked carpets.

Sad but oh so true.

How does a guy buy a 7000 Vortex and not know how to wand in this day and age?

hogjowl

Idiot™
1. Most likely they dont use any form of agitation so the wand's lips are the only choice.
"Wand Scrubbers" will not loosen any soil with Teflon. Those that try end up soaking carpet due to too many cleaning passes.

WHILE I HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO PRESCRUB USING MY GLS, I SELDOM HAVE THE NEED. I ROUTINELY SEE EXCELLENT CLEANING RESULTS WITHOUT PRESCRUBBING.

2. Weak or improperly adjusted TM.
Not enough lift to draw soil through the hole or slot. Soaked carpets.

I DON'T THINK THEY COME MUCH WEAKER THAN MY 18/36 UNIT. I NEVER SEE SOAKED CARPETS OR POOR SOIL REMOVAL WITH OR WITHOUT A GLIDED WAND.

3.Weak Pre Spray.
Again too many rinse passes leading to wicking streaking and such.

YOU MAY HAVE SOMETHING THERE.

4. Too lazy to pre vacuum.
Bending over sucks for fat lazy folks.

COMPLETELY ILLOGICAL REASONING. IF THE DUDE IS TOO LAZY TO PREVACUUM WITH THE GLIDED WAND (THUS THE POOR RESULTS), WHAT THE HECK MAKES YOU THINK HE'S BE PRONE TO PREVACUUM WITH THE NON-GLIDED WAND? IN THIS CASE, PREVACUUMING IS NOT THE ISSUE.

IDIOT

5. No dwell time.
Budget cleaners cant afford to let unscrubbed pre spray take the time to work. Spray and go cleaners hate Glides.

MAY BE, BUT A COUPLE OF THOSE DUDES WHO DON'T HAVE THE NADS TO PUBLICALLY POST THAT NON-GLIDED WANDS CLEAN BETTER (THAT I HAVE TALKED TO) ARE PRETTY WELL RESPECTED POSTERS. I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT THEY ALL ARE BUDGET CLEANERS.

6. Improperly adjusted jet manifolds. If the jet spray is not perfectly tweaked to hit the Glide just so, you get streaks and or soaked carpets.

BS ... I USED A "IMPROPERLY ADJUSTED CMP WAND FOR MONTHS BEFORE I GOT THE RETRO-FIT JET ADJUSTMENT KIT FROM GREENIE. I NEVER SOAKED A CARPET. THE GLIDE ALONE MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE IN DRYING TIME REDUCTION.

G

Bottom line is this; if your machine allows you to push a wand on the carpet with no glide it's time to upgrade to a more powerful machine!

Mikey P

Administrator
Mort

I didn't say pick just one of my reasons because most likely its many if not all of those reasons.

Besides you have to defend your SS method.
In Podunksville they wont pay you to do it properly.

If you had a real TM you would have passed right on by this thread anyhows.

just when Mikey comes along and makes a great post.........along comes Marty with an even greater response. but im not keeping score

GRHeacock

As I see it, most wands are poorly designed, and that's why some wands may need a glide, or other help, and some wands don't need a glide, because they are better designed.

For instance, my wand had 1/4 inch wide stainless steel lips, and was a lot easier to stroke than several other wands I tried.

As an example, when I had a Hydramaster machine and wand for my employee, doing a job side by side, on the same carpet, it took at least twice as much effort to stroke the wand with the Hydramaster wand as with my MCS wand.

The narrow lipped Hydramaster wand also pinched together in the center, causing a wet area in the center, plus an annoying whistling noise, from the pinching together.

I had a look at 2 titanium wands, and each one had sharp points on their narrow lips, which tend to dig into the carpet, not glide across it.

If the designers of wands had to use these wands, they would soon come up with the idea that digging into the carpet and locking down, was not a good idea.

15 or 16 years ago, after trying some of the then available glides, and not working well in my opinion, I invented Wand Skis for this purpose.

I have to give a bow to Ken Harris and Greenie for coming up with the present design of the glides, which certainly work better than my idea of Wand Skis.

Gary

Steve Smith

Mikey,

Mr Heacock is right "some wands may need a glide, or other help, and some wands don't need a glide, because they are better designed. "

I too have used many different wands over the years. In my opinion all wands are easy to pull back, the problem is pushing the wand forward.
Like Mr Heacock said many wands dig into the carpet, but there are a few that are easy to push forward and don't dig into the carpet.

I don't understand your infatuation/issue with individuals/companies that don't use glides on there cleaning tools?

You said "I've read a few posts from guys on ICS who say they get better results with out a glide."

If you know so much about cleaning carpet and uphostery why would that statement surprise you?

Name
Jesse
We have a few wands, some glided some not. I have a 11 pc quad that I don't need a glide on, it pushes pretty smoothly, our ti wand was real hard to push before we got it glided. Our chemspec double dry was impossible to push with out one, unless you lifted it and ran forward then dropped it into the carpet. I liken it to a reverse tractor pull.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Mr. Heacock said it all.
MOST wands out there are NOT user friendly.
Designed by some pin head sitting behind a desk.

AND THEN you have the idiots who buy something like the PC Ti wand for $900 and would expect something that expensive to "Walk on water".

But oh no!

You have to buy a $200 piece of plastic to put on the bottom to even get it to work.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Two reasons for Mikeys paranoid obsession with glides:

1) this non-mfg driven board is driven by a glide mfg.

2) Mike can't use his overpriced TM without a glided wand.

Or, in other words ... loyalty and embarrassment both drive his glide addiction.

Mikey P

Administrator
Marty I wouldn't expect a guy with your low expectations to understand just how much a Glide helps.

It's more then obvious that you are content with so so results.
You yourself have stated that using the SS method on your low paying school jobs is "good enough"..
Which I am sure it is in your area.

It's really no wonder that you are content with your #3 blower for extracting and your GLS for shampooing. mediocre results for a mediocre situation..
While you pose as a Guru on the Boards I and many others know from reading between your oh so clever lines that you're just another Broke Dick go through the motions that a poor economic market forces upon you.

You could never imagine the quality cleaning and incredible production rates I obtain with the world's most powerful cleaning machine and my Glides.

Sure you can guess but until you move to the food and open your waller it's just more hillbilly speculation at best.

Until then...

Dream on buddy.

Greenie

There are two main factors at play here:

The larger surface area of the lips is indeed an important detail, you can't doubt the water ski effect like Gary pointed out with his Mobile Cleaning Systems wand vs. the narrow lips of the HydraMaster.
Now that said, there is a certain "scrub" that exist with the narrower lips, but that is a silly way to get agitation to a fiber by using your brute energy to do it, better to use vacuum force to accomplish this, but even still you have the resulting resistance to deal with...and at a price, how long do you want to clean as a profession?

The second feature is wand slot opening size, some call this orifice size. A wide slot will suck up french fries and pull a good sized row of cut pile yarns up into it, but all comes in the form of increased resistance. A Narrow slot will not have as much resistance, there is a huge difference in the pull between a 1/4" slot and a 1/8" slot.

I'm not even addressing moisture recovery here, just frictional resistance.

As an addendum to the second factor above, you also have to look at the wand head design, as well as the size of wand tube. A more efficent head or a larger tube will communicate the vacuum of the system to the carpet more efficiently, some of this energy will be felt as rersistance for sure.

Many guys will prefer a cheap, restrictive, inefficient poorly designed wand because they are easier to push and lighter. Obviously at a price, but if performance isn't that important, more power to them.

The # 1 objection most folks have to putting a glide on a wand is debris pickup, followed by agitation, because they have no other form of agitation on the truck.

The number one reason a glide "glides" easily is the increased surface area, followed by the fact teflon has a much lower coefficent of friction, especially on a wet carpet fiber.
Therefore you are not going to get much agitation from a bar of teflon.

And because you get better moisture recovery (drier) with a smaller orfice size, it is logical to restrict the size of the slot or holes to maximize recovery, all things being equal, drier is cleaner in HWE.

The debris removal is what it is, if you aren't happy with what a glide picks up, then break out the vacuum cleaner and clean to standards, if nothing else you will make your extraction that much more efficent, as you will remove much of the dry soil already present before preconditioning the remaining soil.

So how do we get back some of that manual agitation?

Through increased strike force of water pressure or water flow, and increased vacuum force.

Fire up a #4 or #5 blower at 16"hg and run 2" hose to a 2" wand and you won't be looking for additional agitation from your slot glide or probably even a hybrid glide, vacuum force is a good replacement for steel wand lips and your shoulder/back.

I've yet to this day, to see a non-glide user that didn't completely reverse his/her opinion when the Big Picture was evaluated with an open mind, and their machine and wand and hoses were optimized.

Time is money, and you owe it to you family and business to make the most of it.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Actually, I would be happy if they didn't clean and dry better....then HRI wouldn't give a shit!

:roll:

Take care,
Lisa

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
Two reasons for Mikeys paranoid obsession with glides:
1) this non-mfg driven board is driven by a glide mfg.
2) Mike can't use his overpriced TM without a glided wand.

Well, Marty would have a point if this type of thread or post that is critical of Glides were deleted on a regular basis.

Marty is always sitting on a pointy picket fence, critical of Glides and yet a happy Glide user.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Excuse me, Mr. Alsoreadingbetweenthelines, but just exactly where in this thread have I been critical of glides?

I use them, support the use of them, and love being an asshole.

Where's the inconsistency?

You're just another idiot, too.

Greenie

Where would this board be without Jimmy to save us from ourselves, even I don't trust glide salesmen any more.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
Excuse me, Mr. Alsoreadingbetweenthelines, but just exactly where in this thread have I been critical of glides?

And just where exactly did I say that YOU had been critical of Glides ?

Stoopie....

But you did suggest that this is board is "driven by a Glide manufacturer".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom