My Website Stinks - Who can help me?

Jamesh921

Name
James
I am website illiterate when it comes to modern-day construction of a website.

I originally built my website in MS Publisher and I thought it looked pretty decent. When I finished it, I tried to upload it to a host, only to find out that my host did not support MS Publisher. So, I had to use one of their cookie-cutter "templates". None of their templates looked enticing, but I had to go with something, so I ended up with what I got. Which is pitiful.

IMO, the content is good, but I need a web-design that looks more professional. I know there are several people on this site that offer that service, so, PM me or post here if you can help.

You can see the disaster at www.aacarpetclean.com

James

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Jamesh921 said:
You can see the disaster at http://www.aacarpetclean.com
I've seen worse, James. But you are right ... it could be much better. Congratulations on recognizing it.

I've always heard good things about Andrechelle. Or another option is a young man I have been very impressed with- Andres Tobar. Here is one of the posts he did for our SFS site on the "Top 5 Things to Include in your Web Site".

http://sfs.jondon.com/7343/blog/the-top ... ld-include

Andres is also really up on Facebook advertising:

http://sfs.jondon.com/6662/resources/sp ... t-cleaners

Steve Toburen
www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS I have no financial interest in recommending Andres. However, many of our SFS members have been very pleased with his work. Oh, and by the way, he keeps a constant eye on the vagaries of Google:

http://sfs.jondon.com/7326/blog/what-th ... t-cleaners

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
An easy do it yourself website is Yahoo Site Builder and Yahoo Hosting.

All my sites I've done myself and I think they look pretty good.

Remember, you don't need all the "flash" or flash to get your customer to call.

KISS....Keep It Simple Steamer

AND they're easy to optmize

Yahoo has tips and one click options to get your site noticed.

Edit: Tense

Jamesh921

Name
James
Yea but, if I use Yahoo! Site Builder to build my site, don't I have to use Yahoo! to host it? Or am I wrong? I already have a host that i've paid for in advance. I don't want to just waste that money.

I don't need a new host, I need someone who can fix/improve what I already have. BUT, I appreciate the recommendations. Maybe next year I can change my host and use one of the suggestions above.

Thanks,
James

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've seen a LOT worse (my old one for instance)
Yours is clean, easy to read, the links work.
What else do you need, except for people to see it and have a reason to choose you over others.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Well, thanks for the boost Ron. But, I must say something is wrong. It's been up for over 2 months now and I haven't recieved ONE job from it. Yep, not ONE. So, what am I suppose to assume? Is it content or design? Or do I just live in the last known redneck, yellowpage only reading demographic in the ejumacated world?

What's crazy is - that I'm the ONLY carpet cleaner in my town that has a website and I'm not getting any work from it. I thought YP's were a thing of the past and that technology was the way to get noticed. Am I missing something? Or do I live in the only community in the world that doesn't use the internet - even though they subscribe to it?

James

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, I've been dropping the ball for the new "marketing room"

As far as the Yahoo site goes...yes you have to have Yahoo host it...it's like 8 bucks a month if you pay a year upfront.

I would do the Yahoo site now so that it has time to have it's come-upins.....give it some time to get noticed.

For the money...every person on this site should have at least one yahoo site working for them....even if they have another website.

I have two major areas and I have 1 site for each...planning on maybe doing more.

I'll have a look at your site to see what I think is wrong.

Keep in mind that I'm a marketing, pretty design type guy...I'm no webmaster and I don't know html very much at all.

Yahoo is all cut and past and that's right up my alley.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You're more schooled than I am in this department but all I know is when I put my site on Yahoo, it does really well in the searches without really trying.
Maybe that's the case in other sites but I like the one click stuff and cut and paste.

Is your hosting free Fred?

Mikey P

Administrator
ditch the colors, no one wants a gay carpet cleaner in their home.

lots of testimonials form well known public figures

a heart warming about us section

a blog with helpful info

some before and afters

more testimonials.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I've only had sites with other advertisers like YP.com....like said...I'm not sure how other hosting and sites perform
It's just the yahoo site is so easy, looks great and generates work.

It's definetly for the beginner, do it yourself type and that's why I promote it here.

It's for the guy who wants a little control but doesn't have to go to school to learn the ropes.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
One bad thing about the Yahoo site builder is I don't think it likes windows 7.
Every time I shut down the program I have to uninstall it then reinstall it to get it to work right.
Pain in the ass.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yes, getting back to the image part of your site...it looks a little home made.

Look at some of the bigger more pro sites on the webs for what you do and get some ideas from them.

Check out my "website tips that work" thread.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39670

Also, to get your name out there. Type in your service and area into Google IE: "tile cleaning yourtown" and see what other advertisers pop up for your area...get your free listings on those sites.
If they are high enough in the rankings, you may consider a paid ad.

Like Fred sed, you may not get enough work from the internet because of the size of your area.

If you're in a small area, you need to hit the networking groups and chambers in that area. You will have to get your name out there.
Door hangers are good for small towns....I didn't check out your area...Fred is a stalker.

Get some kids to pass out the door hangers, stand out front of a Walmart and hand out flyers with a nice offer on them....have your van visible to be able to point it out.

There is always more.

Jamesh921

Name
James
FCC said:
Just to clarify:
The organics in the area are dominated by directory services and lead generation sites.

Your first efforts should be on identifying your site with the service area through content and listings/ backlinks and don't limit it to just "seminole". Not just your address on the home page. This alone should be enough to top the organics in your area.

Like I said, I'm illiterate when it comes to this stuff. So, I have no idea what you just said. I guess you have to explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old. Do you mean I should list all the areas I service on my homepage?

Do you really have to tell people its a local number?

Seminole only had ONE prefix (382-) until about 10 years ago. We then got a 303- prefix. Only recently has Suddenlink (our only cable provider) added a third prefix 220-. Many people are still unaware that this prefix is a local phone prefix and think it is an out of town number. So, I just wanted them to know that they'd be dialing a local number and not calling long distance.

As for the number of people in my coverage area, there are well over 175,000 when you consider I service a 70 mile radius. Course, if someone wants me to travel 70 miles to clean 2 rooms and a hall I'm certainly going to charge a trip charge to cover my expenses for the round trip. Most people understand that and are willing to pay it. There are a few that call someone closer.

Thanks for the recommendations,
James

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
List your company info and website on all the free listings in the searches for carpet cleaning in your area.
These will create backlinks and backlinks help your search rankings.

Put plenty of content on the front page about what you do and where you do it. List all our areas and all your services.

Pretty sure that's what Fred was getting at.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom