Mystery Yellowing On Bathroom Carpet

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I have a customer with a bathroom carpet: sandy color polyester cut pile crap. With application of prespray (Bio-break) and TM extraction with End Zone it now has a distinctly yellowish cast. I discussed possible reasons for this with the folks and of course everyone swears that they never ever ever get anything on the carpet. shiteatinggrin

It happened only in the bathroom. When I pulled some fibers the tips look like they have lost color. I told the nice people (truly nice older folks) that this was likely permanent but I would try to gather some more information and come up with some possible remediation. It looks for all the world like BHT(?) yellowing.

What would you apply and/or what steps would you take to attempt a correction? I'm thinking about citric acid and OP, beyond that I have nothing. Any ideas?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Has this carpet been covered with a rug with a latex back? Latex can migrate to the fibers of carpet under it, causing discoloration, usually yellow.

John G.

Feel it and see if it has a coating of hairspray on it, if it does, it might be the one area that didn't fade.

Jerry McMahon

It could also be the adhesive used to make the pad combining with gases from the home. I would try a reducing agent first.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
Thanks for the feedback guys. There is no rug on the carpet, the pattern is in the walkway - it is not wall to wall. I think a light misting of a reducing agent sounds reasonable. Any other thoughts?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Ask what type of cleaners they use in the bathroom.
Might be a ph problem.

R

rotovacguy

Jeff, I have a customer up here that has the same thing in the bathroom, a yellowish "stain" that just wouldn't budge no matter what I did to it, and I've now cleaned it twice. I hit it with just about everything I have, scrubbed it with the 175 with both red and green pads, more then adequate dwell time......still nothing.

There has not been a rug there ever, and it's not right in front of the toilet or by the shower, so I know it's not getting overspray from cleaning agents. It's in an open area that would only need frequent vacuuming. So I'm also curious as to what some guys might suggest. Not sure if it matters, but it's on a grayish colored cut pile nylon carpet.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
ive had that issue in a couple bathrooms. but i just account it for the overspray of hair spray. or some kinda aresol sprays that are used..

R

rotovacguy

Lyman said:
Old guy peeing on the way to the jon.

:lol: That's what I originally thought when they told me about the yellow stain in the bathroom.

C&S said:
ive had that issue in a couple bathrooms. but i just account it for the overspray of hair spray. or some kinda aresol sprays that are used..

Were you able to remove it? If so, what did you use?

If it were by the mirror / vanity, I would think that would be what it is, but this is a huge bathroom, the yellowing is no where near the crapper, shower, or vanity.

Hmmm...come to think of it, there is a jacuzzi about 10 feet away, maybe they had an orgy in there? :lol:

Name
Lee Stockwell
If you could rob a small sample. (see if you could push a little into a corner with a kicker, or under the back of the commode).

Then see how the fiber reacts to one of two things: chlorine or acne medication.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
haha yeah i know what i just said. but that is exactly how mine looked.. it looked like color loss. like someone misted bleach.. oh well maybe thats the issue.. maybe they were using bleach to remove mold or something.. does that help?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom