Mytee to the rescue?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
John La Barbera from mytee,
Here is a need. I don't know how much demand there for it though. But it will be great if you provided a solution.

A portable sidewalk ramp that will allow two 2" hoses under including enough space on one side for the water hose.
Here in San Francisco we get constantly harrassed by the police for violating the Americans with disability act.

I don't know if this is an issue with other large metropolitan areas. It is here.
Also it has to be somewhat longer then the available yellow one, a milder decline angel and durable. The yellow one does not comply with the law.

What do you say, John? Make my day.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Kolf, I can't recall what the regs are for an ADA approved ramp.
Seems like i recall it being 1/2" incline rise pr 1ft ?
and can be no more than a 1/4" high at the beginning of the ramp?

is that correct?

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster

Charging that price for that is criminal. At half that price it would be expensive.

I proposed the idea to John at Mytee build ramps for sidewalks, halls and trucks two weeks ago and about a year before that.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
grouNd meAt said:
Kolf, I can't recall what the regs are for an ADA approved ramp.
Seems like i recall it being 1/2" incline rise pr 1ft ?
and can be no more than a 1/4" high at the beginning of the ramp?

is that correct?

..L.T.A.

Larry, What I have is 1 foot per 1" rise + the top has to be 5 feet of flat surface. This is in S.F. it also needs to have a railing.

Bear in mind that every municipality (or sate) can make it more strict than the federal law, which is the case in San Francisco.
If John can build one, the extra peace of mind is well worth the money for me.

It will be impossible to build one that complies exactly with the law in will be possible to carry in the van, but something better than what is available will be great.
John???

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mikey P said:
Didn't Soy Boy say he had to build a ramp with hand rails to meet the SF demands?
As far as I know "Soy Boy" is using two yellow ones and it still does not comply with the law.

It is just that currently they got some bad publicity about it and they are not enforcing it.

The fine is $600 and the way the budget stands right now, I have no doubt that soon they will start enforcing.

The other way to deal with it is building a contraption that allows you to run the hoses 7' above the side walk.

You got to love it!

Greenie

I'd build a 3 way 5' ramp out of aluminum before I tried the rotomold deal. Could have drop in folding 5' hand rails as well.

fairly bulky, but wouldn't be that heavy in relation, and probably cost a bundle, and be a pita to store in a standard van.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Greenie said:
I'd build a 3 way 5' ramp out of aluminum before I tried the rotomold deal. Could have drop in folding 5' hand rails as well.

fairly bulky, but wouldn't be that heavy in relation, and probably cost a bundle, and be a pita to store in a standard van.
You got it Jeff
One van for the cleaning and one for the ramp.
That's about the best solution here in S.F.

Or leave a person to stand by the hoses and help the "...." challenged.

Greenie

Glynn said:
We also have them which will take 2 X 2.5" hoses.

Glynn, obviously I'm missing something, I had one of those Masterblend ramps back when I first was using 2.5" hose, it wouldn't allow for 2.5 , let alone 2 x 2" hoses, let alone 2 x 2.5"...so what have you got on your side of the pond?

Bob Foster

Greenie said:

My design folds easily and stores quite compact in a standard cargo van. :wink:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
kolfer1 said:
The other way to deal with it is building a contraption that allows you to run the hoses 7' above the side walk.

!

scaffolding

a fab shop could make one out of aluminum tube.

doesn't have to be as wide as a ramp.

Would probably weigh less than a aluminum ramp.
Make it collapsible and foldable and it would take up less space in the van than a ramp too

hell, a DIY set up could be as simple as a couple Gorilla ladders (or cheap Harbor freight knock off) and an aluminum walk board
The whole set up would be $250-$300.
(adjustable walk boards aren't cheap)

..L.T.A.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Why don't you raise the hoses up in the air (say 10', with one side attaching to the van so it could be shorter, and the opposite side telescoping, with an overhead channel to hold hoses) with a much simpler, smaller, and less weight than ramps? That way the wheelchairs could easily pass under.

I'm sure it could be done.

Bob Foster

Bob Savage said:
Why don't you raise the hoses up in the air (say 10', with one side attaching to the van so it could be shorter, and the opposite side telescoping, with an overhead channel to hold hoses) with a much simpler, smaller, and less weight than ramps? That way the wheelchairs could easily pass under.

One reason is the idea won't generally work on indoor hall crossings where a ramp will. Otherwise I like the overhead method. One concern should be the effect on the stability of an overhead hose bridge caused by tension from physically pulling of lines distal to the truck or the natural contracting motions of the vacuum hose when its in use.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It could be done, just that it will be cumbersome and time consuming.
Also we have a lot of hills here, and many time we are parked at an angle (sideways and or front to back) so the base needs to be quite stable both for pull and push and to the sides.

Possible? Yes.
Just one more nuisance and extra 15-20 minutes per job.

Walt

Don't give up on this type of cleaning.

The market is getting narrower and the prices are going up. This is a good thing. Specialize in it.

Personally, I'd get an M5 or an orbot or both.

Glynn

rampstwin.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Glynn,
That looks good. Are these 2.5"?
And does the thin top above the hoses hold up? It seems really thin at the top.
Thanks

G

kolfer1 said:
John La Barbera from mytee,
Here is a need. I don't know how much demand there for it though. But it will be great if you provided a solution.

A portable sidewalk ramp that will allow two 2" hoses under including enough space on one side for the water hose.
Here in San Francisco we get constantly harrassed by the police for violating the Americans with disability act.

I don't know if this is an issue with other large metropolitan areas. It is here.
Also it has to be somewhat longer then the available yellow one, a milder decline angel and durable. The yellow one does not comply with the law.

What do you say, John? Make my day.

I see your delima; but you aren't violating any disability act laws just for lying a hose accross the sidewalk. It isn't a perminant obstacle. Tell the police I am a licensed vendor of the county and state; and this is how we deliver our product. Although the ramp is an awesome idea and very considerate; I can't see how unless their is a local ordinance that the police are inforcing that specifically targets carpet cleaners.

I guess that's the price for living in liberal I care about everything else but humans California. Sounds like a good device to make some money off of though.

G

Bob Savage said:

Sounds like velcro to the Rescue; and would be much more affordable too.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
It targets everybody, carpet cleaners included.

They actually make you go to a seminar (free) and there were people from all trades and service providers there. Many of them were already fined the $600.00

And you are violating the law, however they may not enforce is where you do business.
And YES San Francisco takes it one step further.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom