N00b Questions

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
That definition fits soil quite well. Soil is a living organism that stores and consumes various compounds. When one dumps 100 gallons of waste water with dilute chemicals in it the water passes through the soil and much of the chemical contamination is filtered and caught in the upper several inches of the soil. What isn't broken down (which is plenty) builds up and gets into things. Part of the need for water testing especially in old industrial and farm zones. Maybe just as important where a carpet cleaner has been dumping their waste water in the same area for decades too.

What is in the carpet nectar Unc? A list of synthetic preservatives like DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, quaternion-15, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol/bronopol, and sodium hydroxymethylglycinate. Octylisothiazolinone just one of them is regarded by the EPA to be highly toxic to aquatic life causing endocrine disruption and developmental problems. Others slowly release formaldehyde, it's almost ad infinitum, sounds fun. Sure formaldehyde breaks down more readily than these other compounds but it is also highly toxic to anything that touches it before it does.

Then there are bad compounds like phthalates in synthetic fragrances. Residual forever chemical PFAS in synthetic surfactants and protectors, even the new gen PFBS fluorochemicals have been proven to cause the same problems as PFAS. Known carcinogenic biproducts of sulfate based surfactants like ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane. Napthalene, a carcinogenic solvent and deodorizer.

Anyways in my assessment that stuff belongs in septic or sewer. Calling it fertilizer and breezing by the rest is disingenuous in my book. To each their own though. I'm not here to ruffle feathers. If I don't revolutionize the industry in my life I'll at least change how I operate within it.

I'm not worried about complaints. For me it's an ethical issue surrounding health. Regarding things growing, industrial agriculture has been growing bountiful crops and destroying the soil they grow in while adversely effecting people and the surrounding environment for decades. Increased growth isn't synonymous with benign.

oh wow

..L.T.A.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Guaranteed I snuck at least a million+ gallons in the rose beds, under shrubs and watered lawns throughout my 40+year career. Only time I ever killed something was a potent tank of grease eraser enzyme over a lawn. It took a few weeks to recover. No clean outs in our part of the country.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
Have you tried the 175 yet?
To what do you refer, is this a chemical? I'm also on the train of doing things as ethically/environmentally safe as possible. I don't ascribe to the "green" things because I know a lot of that is marketing (at least in makeup, which I'm certainly more familiar at this point xD).

Reactions: Bryce C

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Yeah, I just thought he might be referring to a chemical since that was the train of convo. I'm guess it's equipment? Maybe I'll mind my own business xD
Nah you're fine Marie (:

A 175 is a classic and rugged scrubbing machine. For scrubbing it can't be beat. Although it weighs about 100 lbs (depending on the model, I'd recommend 100 lbs or less unless for stone resto) with small wheels so bringing it into places needs to be considered, not for standard res cleaning. It can be used for stripping finishes, agitating hard surfaces and carpet fibers, as well as vlm. Great for commercial, trashed residential, and high paying hard surface jobs especially restoration if you go that route.

They are very affordable too and tend to run forever due to the simplicity of their design. Often ugly as heck from regular use, but can be found for under $500 used on the marketplace just about anywhere. There are a multitude of pads and brushes available for different applications with a 175 in standard sizes that easily fit whatever machine you might score.

Here's Uncle Larry giving my wife a demo when he kindly hooked us up with his old 175. Hope ya don't mind the public pic Unc! Let me know if you don't jive and I'll take er down.
1000024831.jpg

Last edited:

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
Guaranteed I snuck at least a million+ gallons in the rose beds, under shrubs and watered lawns throughout my 40+year career. Only time I ever killed something was a potent tank of grease eraser enzyme over a lawn. It took a few weeks to recover. No clean outs in our part of the country.
If we are being honest with ourselves we have no idea what kind of damage we cause dumping that stuff for 40+ years. The damage I am speaking of is slow, long term, untraceable, and wouldn't be contingent upon how grass or whatever grows. Truly. But hey you do you...
Have you tried the 175 yet?
Not yet! Haven't had any commercial or redemption style res cleanings since Larry hooked me up. But they're coming. I'll be sure to post with pics once they do. I can't wait to see how pro agitation changes a very challenging job.

Actually we're in the midst of moving. I want to scrub the unfinished concrete floor of our garage before move out for practice and integrity. I'm a pretty industrious guy and it's a bit murky. Any pad recommendations for lightly honing the surface to make some milk and easily rinse away the filth at 400 psi?

Last edited:
Reactions: AMmmarie

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Nah you're fine Marie (:

A 175 is a classic and rugged scrubbing machine. For scrubbing it can't be beat. Although it weighs about 100 lbs (depending on the model, I'd recommend 100 lbs or less unless for stone resto) with small wheels so bringing it into places needs to be considered, not for standard res cleaning. It can be used for stripping finishes, agitating hard surfaces and carpet fibers, as well as vlm. Great for commercial, trashed residential, and high paying hard surface jobs especially restoration if you go that route.

They are very affordable too and tend to run forever due to the simplicity of their design. Often ugly as heck from regular use, but can be found for under $500 used on the marketplace just about anywhere. There are a multitude of pads and brushes available for different applications with a 175 in standard sizes that easily fit whatever machine you might score.

Here's Uncle Larry giving my wife a demo when he kindly hooked us up with his old 175. Hope ya don't mind the public pic Unc! Let me know if you don't jive and I'll take er down.
View attachment 127781
It’d be nice to remove 50% of that pic, and we can agree which 50? But, we don’t care, he’s nice. Don’t let her or you get to you use to her running that machine! Mine ran one for at least 20 yrs., before the demand took its toll.🥲 Even though they’re easy to use, they’re demanding long term.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
To what do you refer, is this a chemical? I'm also on the train of doing things as ethically/environmentally safe as possible. I don't ascribe to the "green" things because I know a lot of that is marketing (at least in makeup, which I'm certainly more familiar at this point xD).
For me environmental and health awareness/mitigation isn't a hill worth dying on. Just remember with a bit of thoughtfulness surrounding this stuff that wherever you go and do work, at the very least you will be reducing harm. Because if you don't get the job someone else who is most likely less thoughtful will. And wherever we can reduce harm in this crazy world is a win in my books.

Just don't compromise A+ results for ideals. A+ results are your key to success. Do whatever it takes to get them.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
For me environmental and health awareness/mitigation isn't a hill worth dying on. Just remember with a bit of thoughtfulness surrounding this stuff that wherever you go and do work, at the very least you will be reducing harm. Because if you don't get the job someone else who is most likely less thoughtful will. And wherever we can reduce harm in this crazy world is a win in my books.

Just don't compromise A+ results for ideals. A+ results are your key to success. Do whatever it takes to get them.

Bryce, the potential health hazard/risk is to the person that handles the stuff everyday.
Not the healthy people you see once or twice a year

..L.T.A.

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
nah
it's al'ite

I didn't know you were an enviro wEErdo 😉 🤣

Do you know how many worms your dog's pee is killing :eekk::dejection:

..L.T.A.
I ain't some kinda vegan communist that's for sure 🤪

I'm might be one of the few rare sane people you've met who actually gives a damn about peoples health and environmental stewardship, yet at the same time I'm becoming more practical each passing season. For better or worse I'm a unique breed.

I eat all local and organic food as much as possible. Yet I go out and have a good ole time at chinese buffets with dear friends joyfully (; Took me a while to find my own balance with it all. Anyways, you won't hear too much about my personal health/environmental qualms surrounding this biz again. Really my take is... to each their own way. But it had to come out at least once eventually 🤠⚔️

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
It’d be nice to remove 50% of that pic, and we can agree which 50? But, we don’t care, he’s nice. Don’t let her or you get to you use to her running that machine! Mine ran one for at least 20 yrs., before the demand took its toll.🥲 Even though they’re easy to use, they’re demanding long term.
Good call Kenny, I'll keep that in mind! My wife is already sleeping but I know she really appreciates the thoughtful advice.

AMmmarie

Name
Marie
A 175 is a classic and rugged scrubbing machine. For scrubbing it can't be beat. Although it weighs about 100 lbs (depending on the model, I'd recommend 100 lbs or less unless for stone resto) with small wheels so bringing it into places needs to be considered, not for standard res cleaning.
Cool! Thanks for the info! I don't think I have it in my for restoration - my mom works for a restoration company (no offense to anyone) those people seem nuts. My mom included xD

Reactions: Bryce C

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
Me too
I don't care if you're an enviro zealot lunatic. 😊
I'll still wash my car in the drive 😉

..L.T.A.
That is so true. The local county toilet police require us to bury styrofoam or plastic tubes to drain our septic water from the tank. So burying pollutants to hold biosafe water to break down naturally is a good idea? I had to redo my septic lines last year and the crappy styrofoam that was originally installed was bypassed with another drain field , but not pulled up and disposed. So it's still under the ground for no purpose any more. I wonder how many other houses in this country have that polluted material as well.

Using a paint filter to help filter your recovery water will catch more pollutants before you dispose of it.

Just keep in mind, if your customer has septic tanks, instead of city sewage, you're still putting your so-called polluted water in the earth. Just 3-4 feet deeper than we dispose of it, lol.

FredC

Village Idiot
That is so true. The local county toilet police require us to bury styrofoam or plastic tubes to drain our septic water from the tank. So burying pollutants to hold biosafe water to break down naturally is a good idea? I had to redo my septic lines last year and the crappy styrofoam that was originally installed was bypassed with another drain field , but not pulled up and disposed. So it's still under the ground for no purpose any more. I wonder how many other houses in this country have that polluted material as well.

Using a paint filter to help filter your recovery water will catch more pollutants before you dispose of it.

Just keep in mind, if your customer has septic tanks, instead of city sewage, you're still putting your so-called polluted water in the earth. Just 3-4 feet deeper than we dispose of it, lol.

I kind of get the idea you don't understand how a drain field works...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The local county toilet police require us to bury styrofoam or plastic tubes to drain our septic water from the tank.

you talking about this stuff?

1720535017363.png

it's more expensive than gravel and standard sewer pipe, but is quicker/easier to use

as far as septics, most that are 30 years old would fail a test

when we get a house that has septic probs, we spec NPDES type because they can be installed anywhere and discharge into the ditch that runs past Bryce's front yard

..L.T.A.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

The Timminator
Name
Matt w.
I kind of get the idea you don't understand how a drain field works...
I understand fully how a drain field works. I just. spent $6k last year on having mine redone

All the chemicals he mentioned above are being put back in the ground.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Nah you're fine Marie (:

Nah you're fine Marie (:

View attachment 127781

Nice firm tummy Larry. Are you still working out with little Debbie and Biggie Pops? You need to try the peeps diet.

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny Hayes

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I understand fully how a drain field works. I just. spent $6k last year on having mine redone

All the chemicals he mentioned above are being put back in the ground.
Well, it looks like we've moved beyond the "it's fertilizer" discussion. Saying chem filth waste water is just fertilizer is like saying a twinkie is just wheat 😄

Last edited:

Bryce C

DFW
Name
Bryce
I learned this as a farmer. The top few inches of soil contain over 90% of it's microbial activity/life, and that's where all of the essential processes happen. Dumping 3 to 4 feet below that makes a massive difference.

As the world has gotten sicker each passing year our awareness of the things that sustain us dwindles too. They sort of go hand in hand. Soil is life.

Last edited:

they live

Name
Steve
Phosphates and other nutrients in the recovery water that plants love.

The only time you don't want to dump in their yard is when you're using strong peroxide treatments on the carpet. It'll chemically burn the grass and you'll get a callback
Just make sure they are not on a well.

I have a clean out in my yard that I keep a hose in for dumping. I use a filter as I'm dumping.

20240710_134344.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom