Nail polish and carpet

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I had kids nail poish on carpet today..(red,white). Guess which was what..lol. Anyway, it didnt come out and I used a bunch of shit on it ala Pro's choice cti solvents etc. It did the same thing as some paints do for me which it coagulated to the very tops of the fibers. I was thinking of taking a set of Hair clippers and just shaving the tops off and like blending it in..any one ever do that? Carpets were synthetic both in the paint and nail polish example. Or should i get one of them fabric shavers?

Thanks,

Jarred
Iseeru

Jamesh921

Name
James
Did you try "nail polish remover"?

I tried a bunch of "industry chems" on some paint many years ago with no success. Cleaning staff came along after I left and used paint remover - got ALL of it out (nearly a full gallon).

Learned a lesson that day - Use what works, not necessarily what the industry gurus/chemists tell you.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Untouched nail polish is pretty easy to remove , acetone and your vacuum hose will do it.

gene

Name
Lee Stockwell
Dampen the corner of a white towel with the acetone and then just wipe the polish off the fiber.

Don't pour it on the carpet, and don't use it if Larry Cobb is watching.

It works great.

Thanks,
Lee

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jarred;

After my daughter spilled an entire bottle of red polish on our white plush nylon carpet, I tried several techniques and products for removal. It was 2 days old when we discovered it.

The best removal method was:
(1) Dynachem POG (with a chlorinated solvent) first to remove the acrylic component. That still left a faint red stain.
(2) Dynachem Dye Stain Remover (1 part heat transfer)with plenty of steam .

You could not see the stain when I finished.

Larry Cobb

P.S. Acetone works for the 1st step, but is extremely flammable.

harryhides

Name
Tony
If there is a blob of Nail Polish on the surface of the carpet, I ALWAYS clip under the "blob" with napping shares.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Like Tony, I have used the napping shears to expedite the removal of nail polish on a cut-pile rug when necessary.

For most nail polish stains, here is the technique I use. Proved just last week by testing 8 nail polishes from women working here in the office. They did have a few questions about why I was borrowing their nail polish.

Fingernail Polish

Description
There are a variety of nail polishes; some include hardeners, glitter or other additives. Don’t expect every spill to respond the same. Some spills will require replacing carpet with a bonded insert.
Degree of Difficulty 5
Tools Required
• Extraction equipment
• Gum Getter or spotting spatula
• White cotton towels
Chemicals Required
1) Bridgepoint OINK
2) Bridgepoint StainZONE
Procedures
1) Apply OINK to affected area.
2) Agitate with Gum Getter or spatula to break up deposit and work OINK into the deposit. Be careful not to saturate the backing, as any solvent may loosen adhesives leading to delamination.
3) Allow 3 minutes dwell time.
4) Agitate further to thoroughly dissolve deposit
5) Rinse and extract with very hot water.
6) Repeat above steps as necessary.
7) If color remains, Apply StainZONE, agitate to insure penetration. Careful use of heat may be required to remove all color. Use a wallpaper steamer checking progress every 15 seconds. Discontinue use of heat when stain has been removed or if any color loss from carpet is observed.

The Oink does include acetone and other helpful solvents. As LArry said, it is often a two step procedure. Remove the acrylic and then remove any remaining color.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Larry Cobb said:
Jarred;

After my daughter spilled an entire bottle of red polish on our white plush nylon carpet, I tried several techniques and products for removal. It was 2 days old when we discovered it.

The best removal method was:
(1) Dynachem POG (with a chlorinated solvent) first to remove the acrylic component. That still left a faint red stain.
(2) Dynachem Dye Stain Remover (1 part heat transfer)with plenty of steam .

You could not see the stain when I finished.

Larry Cobb

P.S. Acetone works for the 1st step, but is extremely flammable.

ditto on the cobbs POG, I use it in copious amounts, just make sure to rinse with the truckmount when done. never tried using a dye stain remover, but that would likely get out the last of the red. Cobbs POG is my number one solvent of choice, its cheap and gets the job done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom