Saw this at a house today

Cameron cant play..
20151112_105309.jpg
20151112_105253_001.jpg
20151112_115842.jpg

Name
cameron demille
Acid proof and olive oil enhancable..

Fred already said it, but acid proof and oiled is pretty much soapstone. It's not porous. It will darken on the immediate surface, mainly because the finish is a hone, but you won't be able to stain it. It gets oiled with mineral oil regularly to maintain the color, otherwise it just dries out and gets chalky.

I have never seen soapstone with streaks like this before, usually they are more muted.

Name
cameron demille
This is an answer from my FB post. I tagged you in it Mike, but I figured I'd post it here so everyone else can see.

Greg is a soapstone expert and runs a soapstone company in San Diego.

Greg Bergmann Not soapstone, they call it Iron Green, it typically is saturated with resin ,which soapstone will do. I first got a few bundles in a container in 06 I think and thought it looked neat but wouldn't react to oil. I cut it and it wasn't just a topical expiry it went all the way thru.
It comes out of Brazil and kind of reminds me of Pietra Cardosa in texture.

Name
cameron demille
I think what he's getting at is that soapstone is typically oiled to maintain the finish. In this case, not working well with oil would be a negative thing, which is probably why is has a brushed finish. It's easier to hide imperfections with the finish.

Mikey P

Administrator
my guy specifically said he was adding Olive Oil regularly to maintain the look you see.

Look at the edges of the cut piece to see it's "real" colors

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom