Need a little help on a hardwood floor issue

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Been cleaning for 6 years and have had my first issue with a blemish on a hardwood floor. This is about a 1.5 foot of a hose mark in a "C" shape.
We were doing some upholstery in a living room and had the temp set around 200 and low pressure since we were cleaning uph. When we completed I noticed the this spot, however waited until the owner returned to find out if it was there previously (because I hadn't noticed it) he said no. So I find out this is hardwood that had been covered by carpet for many years (installed in 1952) they removed the carpet and had it finished in a dark stain. The area does not look to have actually damaged the wood but looks "hazy" so I talked with him today and ask if they had used any waxes on it or other products on it and he said that they went over it occassionaly with murphys oil. I explained that this haze seems to have affected the covering that they had been applying and I would check with my partners in crime (you guys) for suggestions. He is going to rub it with murphy's oil again tonight. What do you think?

I think maybe a white pad buffing by hand to remove the haze and then maybe reapplying the murphys oil.

Suggestions

I have never used drop cloths and have never had an issue until now but I picked 2 up on the way home from that job. Never again, if I can help it.

And I forgot to take a pic

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I have never come across anyone who used Murphy's Oil Soap on a hardwood floor, but I think you are on the right track to correcting the issue.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Billy
Call the Basic coatings office.
They will be a great help for you. If this was a prefinished floor or a floor that was done with current products. The owner should not be using murphys on it if it is urethane.

Basics has a test kit for wax detection. My guess is it is wax that was heated and discolored. It can be cleaned and may be ok. You might have to apply a coat of street shoe to recoat.

Here is a couple pics of floors we have done
View attachment 1794View attachment 1795

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom