Need advice on APO

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
I bought the Blueline APO about 7 years ago when I bought my TM. Over past few years my TM has sat more than it's been used. The APO seized up once. Took it to local shop and they were able to break it free and it worked again. Now about a year later same problem.

Is there an APO that is reliable but doesn't cost $3000? I'm tired of trying to fix the $3k one I have now......

And by the way, I about threw my computer at the wall trying to navigate Cobb's site...what a cluster! After 40 minutes gave up searching.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The greatest detriment to the reliability of APO pump system is, irregular usage. I impress upon every buyer that he/she must use it at least twice weekly, whether they want to or not. It is a simple fact that fine particulate debris will "wander" into the pump through the inlet and "congeal" or settle in the head. If you then try and turn it on after sitting for a long while, it is locked up.

Thinking out loud here......One thing you might try is putting a shutoff valve on the inlet. Before a long stint of anticipated disuse, thoroughly rinse the waste tank and APO system and then shut the valve, to keep debris from finding it's way into the pump. However, there may be some buildup right before the valve that may form a plug if you let it go really long. The valve may have to be a three-way, so you can purge it right before you engage the APO.

Billy

Name
BH
The greatest detriment to the reliability of APO pump system is, irregular usage. I impress upon every buyer that he/she must use it at least twice weekly, whether they want to or not. It is a simple fact that fine particulate debris will "wander" into the pump through the inlet and "congeal" or settle in the head. If you then try and turn it on after sitting for a long while, it is locked up.

Thinking out loud here......One thing you might try is putting a shutoff valve on the inlet. Before a long stint of anticipated disuse, thoroughly rinse the waste tank and APO system and then shut the valve, to keep debris from finding it's way into the pump. However, there may be some buildup right before the valve that may form a plug if you let it go really long. The valve may have to be a three-way, so you can purge it right before you engage the APO.

We are having to replace ours because we rarely use it just as you explained. $500.00 lesson learned unfortunately. We had extreme seal failure then lock-up although motor is OK.

I had already decided if I replace it which I haven't decided to yet due to lack of need. I would try a shut off valve as you suggested but ultimately I will start using it to evacuate the tank even though it isn't needed. I hadn't thought of a three way valve though.

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
I used the Polution Solution from Bridgepoint for years and never had a problem. Everyone told me how bad it was but I never should have gotten rid of it.

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
Larry, will that work with a TM? I have a blue wave, will it be powerful enough to pump out when TM is running at full power? The Shurflos I tried before weren't powerful enough.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry, will that work with a TM? I have a blue wave, will it be powerful enough to pump out when TM is running at full power? The Shurflos I tried before weren't powerful enough.

This ShurFlo pumps over 10 Gallons per minute.

Under vacuum of course it is less.

Larry

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I built my own for around $200 with parts from Northern Tool (pump), Lowes (check-valve), and West Marine (bilge switch).

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

I run a hypro on my Thermalwave and you cant keep up with it......it can empty a tank easy....
Plus the rebuild parts are easy to get...and easy to repair...

I rebuilt this one and put it in the truck over 2 years ago and it is still running strong........

IMG_5317.jpg

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I thought so. Curt, if you decide to go with a different pump, I'll give you a couple hunnert to get the old, broken one out of your way....

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
JIm, that is the pump I have. I'm not super mechanical, is it something I can work on/rebuild myself?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
JIm, that is the pump I have. I'm not super mechanical, is it something I can work on/rebuild myself?

I think you can....or just send it down to me and I will fix it for you and send it back....

all it will cost you is the parts.. ( which I have a good resource for ) and shipping..........

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Shawn is right as usual, even the Pollution Solution would fill up with muck at the bottom and not work if you went a week without using it. You'd have to remove it from the tank take it apart and pressure wash it out. The external pumps at least save you that hassle but the trick is to not go long periods between usage. Guys that use them daily have few problems with them.

You have the big dog of pumpout's I'd pay Jim to fix it for you and you'll be back in the pump out business. :icon_cool:

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Yup...have Jim fix it. That apo is awesome. Unfortunately, the one I bought doesn't work against vacuum. I'm going to re-plumb it with larger hoses to see if that helps.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
anyone ever try a Jabsco bilge pump
it was bullet-proof when i ran my Big Red

I run a Jabsco belt/clutch drive bilge pump daily on the Genesis 59. The only draw back to it is it needs a prime water line to get it pumping, and not burn up the impeller. It does ocationally clog up if I let my pantyhose/filter break open and spill crap into the waste tank.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Diaphragm pumps are not as particular when it comes to muddy water as some other type pumps are.....I filter everything that comes into my trucks but the fine stuff will always find a way threw........

you put that fine mesh filter before the APO...it will always clog...and you will be cleaning it out all the time.....

filter the heavy stuff as much as you can going into the waste tank.......a good APO will take care of the rest...........

never let a diaphragm pump just sit.......you got the thing...even if you don't feel you need to....set it up and run it once a day/every other day.....
that way it will not dry out and they last much longer....

once a month it is a good idea to flush out the waste tank and then fill it up some with clean water and run the APO and clean it out........

Billy

Name
BH
I run a hypro on my Thermalwave and you cant keep up with it......it can empty a tank easy....
Plus the rebuild parts are easy to get...and easy to repair...

I rebuilt this one and put it in the truck over 2 years ago and it is still running strong........

IMG_5317.jpg

Jim what is an approximate cost for the parts to rebuild this pump? I have same pump & let it sit too long causing seal failure & lock-up as far as I can tell. We decided to just purchase a new one if we replace it at all just haven't decided yet which way since only time we need it is on very big jobs which have Carpet & tile in same trip.

I was told cost to rebuild was very close to new cost without motor but I never actually checked since I was also told it may not be rebuild able at this point. If I replace we will use daily for evac-ing tank instead of just using dump valve.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Jim what is an approximate cost for the parts to rebuild this pump? I have same pump & let it sit too long causing seal failure & lock-up as far as I can tell. We decided to just purchase a new one if we replace it at all just haven't decided yet which way since only time we need it is on very big jobs which have Carpet & tile in same trip.

I was told cost to rebuild was very close to new cost without motor but I never actually checked since I was also told it may not be rebuild able at this point. If I replace we will use daily for evac-ing tank instead of just using dump valve.

you were told wrong.........a complete rebuild kit is $99 bucks......plus tax and shipping...

Billy

Name
BH
you were told wrong.........a complete rebuild kit is $99 bucks......plus tax and shipping...

would that be all that would be needed even with it lock-ed up? I haven't purchased the new one yet so I could just rebuild if it is viable. I just assumed there would be allot of parts needed & a ton of tear down to unlock it?

Thanks

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
would that be all that would be needed even with it lock-ed up? I haven't purchased the new one yet so I could just rebuild if it is viable. I just assumed there would be allot of parts needed & a ton of tear down to unlock it?

Thanks

I will offer you the same deal as Curt.....take the thing out of the truck....motor and all..not just the head...dump all the oil out of it and just leave it alone..don't mess with it.....box it up and send it to me...
all it will cost you is a rebuild kit and shipping both ways...( I charge nothing )..

I will take it apart........free it up..completely rebuild it and ship it back to you....
when you get it back.....hook it all back up ..add oil....and it is ready to go......

Back
Top Bottom