Need Advice on Damaged Floor

Chris Brown

Name
Chris Brown
I need some advice. I've included some pictures of a damaged floor. My customer wants to know if this floor can be saved. If you enlarge the pictures, you can see the damage better. The dark areas look like the marble is falling apart. There are also raised bumps on the marble and the travertine that are hard and they appear randomly throughout the floor. Overtime the floor is deteriorating more and more. I have no idea what the original homeowner used to clean the floor. The current home owner uses a steam mop. The floor is level. I am thinking this could be spalling due to a moisture issue. I would have checked but I don't have a moisture meter. Do you think this floor can be salvaged or should it be replaced? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_0705.JPG
    IMG_0705.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Was it like that before they started using steam mop?

Definitely spalling.

Have them tape a piece of plastic down for 24/48 hours to see how much condensate

You can defiantly fill , hone and polish.... however depending on test, I would not guarantee anything. It would cost them 15x my amount to replace with similar.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
If they are steam mopping, tell them to keep it moving faster. Never never never stop unless the mop is lifted, or you can pop fill or weak pieces. Ditto for any other surface, intense heat can soften paint, blush floor finish, ruin vinyl.

Movement!

Todd Slamen

Name
Todd Slamen
i believe thats rojo alicante marble thats been neglected, you could fill with a clear filler shave down and polish the floor. I would charge $ 90 hour for filling and shaving the filler, $2.25 sf to strait polish, $ .75 per pass if diamonds are needed.

mmarkovic

Spalling can also occur in many marbles when a history of recrystallizing has been done in combination with excess hydrostatic pressure from the slab. The surface tension from recrystallizing and the moisture trying to escape up just have a head-on collision resulting in spalling.

Reactions: SamIam

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom