Need advise re: Trailer for a carpet cleaning machine

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Seeking your advise buying a trailer for a carpet cleaning machine.
I need to buy a pick-up truck that can tow a two horse trailer probably around 7000 pounds or so towing capacity. Since I will have that pick up anyhow and also need a carpet cleaning rig, I might as well have it in a trailer.

I figured that I will need a trailer with about 10' x 6' inner dimensions.

1) Any advise to help me avoid some silly mistakes and plan in advance will be very highly appreciated.

2) Who makes good durable trailers?
3) Where can I find good used ones.
4) How do trailers do on country and gravel roads? What kind of height difference between the bottom of the trailer and the road should I get? (Do they make them higher?)
5) Any pick up with that towing capacity that also has good per gallon millage?
6) Would you go for a Diesel or gas engine for the pick-up?
7) Know any one here that has done it?
8. What would a good sturdy trailer + a good slide in + a 175 machine, chemical shelves + all the trimming weigh?
9)Have I missed something?

I highly appreciate your input.
Thanks
Ofer
8)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
kolfer1 said:
I need to buy a pick-up truck that can tow a two horse trailer probably around 7000 pounds or so towing capacity. Since I will have that pick up anyhow and also need a carpet cleaning rig, I might as well have it in a trailer.

1) Any advise to help me avoid some silly mistakes and plan in advance will be very highly appreciated.

4) How do trailers do on country and gravel roads? What kind of height difference between the bottom of the trailer and the road should I get? (Do they make them higher?)
8. What would a good sturdy trailer + a good slide in + a 175 machine, chemical shelves + all the trimming weigh?

Thanks
Ofer
8)

some of these I can help you with

4) How do trailers do on country and gravel roads?

as good as the driver and as bad as the the load is distributed.
You must have the correct amount of tongue weight (the amount of wt on the receiver hitch ball).
The general rule of thumb is 10% of load.
example..if the load AND trailer weighs 3000 pnds, you should have 300 pnds of tongue wt.

More wt is OK, but not enough wt and it can sway sump'um awful.
to the point of being down right dangerous
If you've ever seen a dude hauling down the hi-way and the trailer was swinging back and forth, it's cause he didn't have it loaded right

What kind of height difference between the bottom of the trailer and the road should I get? (Do they make them higher?)

Most cargo trailers will have a higher road to floor ht than horse trailers.
Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about the under clearance (unless it's way low and long) then you could get in trouble on odd drives.
I've seen more than a couple long, low trailers get hung up pulling in and out at a gas station near my home.
Generally, it won't be a concern and I'd focus more on easy in and out of the trailer ..like a rear and side doors

Diesel is superior for pulling and will also give the best fuel mileage.
However, they also cost more as an option and d-fuel is also more expensive pr gal.
So it depends how many miles you roll a year whether you'll realize any real savings 1-2-5 years out

not for CCing, but we pull a 7 x 12 trailer a fair amount for other things we do.
I couldn't imagine trying to do it for CCing with an kind of regularity .
It would be a **MAJOR PITA** compared to a cargo or box van

with water, better than 3200 punds, I'd guess.
a good quality 7 x 12 single axle trailer will weight appx 1200 pounds or so empty

med sized TM is appx 500-600 pounds I'd guess.
One with a #5 blower and you'll be above that

hose reel and 200ft of hoses and solution line probably goes 350 or better
100 pounds for the rotary
8 pounds pr gal of chem juice
100 gal of fresh water, 1000 pounds give or take depending on tank construction (poly or stainless)

don't forget to account for waste water if you don't pump-out on every job too
a little over 8 pounds pr gal

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Larry,
Thanks for taking the time and I appreciate the info.
I am curious though regarding clearance, as this will be used in country gravel roads where every once in a while you cross one of these dry stream creeks. I never actually drove a trailer over these but it makes me worried.
As far as working out of a trailer, it will allow me to avoid a major investment in a van or a truck and as it is, I will need to buy the pick up anyhow.
It will be used in a country, small towns setting, so I assume that the parking will not be an issue.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
kolfer1 said:
Larry,
Thanks for taking the time and I appreciate the info.
I am curious though regarding clearance, as this will be used in country gravel roads where every once in a while you cross one of these dry stream creeks. I never actually drove a trailer over these but it makes me worried.
As far as working out of a trailer, it will allow me to avoid a major investment in a van or a truck and as it is, I will need to buy the pick up anyhow.
It will be used in a country, small towns setting, so I assume that the parking will not be an issue.

You pulling a cargo tralier thru the washes or horse trailer?
If anyone you know pulls their horse trailers thru there, you'll be fine with any standard cargo trailer

you know Ofr, you can buy a van with the tow capacity you need for a horses
If this new TM is a back up or overflow rig and will only be used a couple/few times a month, a trailer could be OK

but if you're plans are to use it regularly, you're gonna hate it for CCing and wish you had a van

..L.T.A

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
kolfer1 said:

Some Trailer companies to think about would be Pace American, Haulmark, Interstate, and the cadillac of Trailers would be Featherlite with an all aluminum built trailers. With all the weight in there you'll want atleast a double axle with electric breaks on all axles. I would recomend torsion axles over leaf springs. They handle weight and bumps better and last longer. Also minimum tire size you want for above cargo trailer would be a 205 75R15. Any of the above trailer companies will use great quality tires for their trailers.

DON"T GO USED. Your going to have a lot of weight and money riding on/in that trailer and you want it to work very well for you. You can get a very good new trailer from Interstate for about $4000.00 and that would be a double axle cargo 7x14 with 6 ft interior height. 16" on center steel wall supports. heavy duty trailer base with 3x4 inch ply and 3x8inch wall board.
I have a 7x14 tandom axle interstate like described above and though I don't clean carpet out of it, I do haul all of our band equipment in it as well as move heavy loads for the biz or pickup pallets of tile/ bunks of wood, or misc cargo and we haul around the country alot and never had a problem getting hung up with that traielr I believer It has a 15-19" of ground clearance.

I use a 2000 1500 Silverado with the 5.3 L rated to pull 8000# to pull my trailer and with all of our band equipment plus a 2000# dry weight our weight is every bit of 6100# and I get 10 mpg. When I pull it with my 04 GMC 2500 Install van with the 6.0 L I get 12 mpg... I get 12mpg with that thing not matter how loaded or unloaded she is. Diesel will preserve your fuel millage and will last longer on heavier loads. I think it would be worth your investment to get atleast a 3/4 ton truck to handle the extra wear and tear.

If you go this route make sure you insure the trailer and the full value of all contents. Get atleast a tandem axle with electric breaks to make life safer and save wear and tear on your truck. Get a truck with mirrors wide enough to see behind you and the trailer. When getting your hitch balls. If you need a 2 5/16 inch ball make sure to get a draw bar and a ball with a 1 1/4 inch shank and not just a 1 inch shank. Also make sure you get proper ride height to keep the trailer level or even ever so slightly toungue heavy and leaning forward so when you brake and your back end goes the trailer wil forse you to maintain a level ride height. Have the Machien proffessionally installed by a good distributer to keep it bolted down properly and things ventere correctly to prevent a fire hazard. Alot of people will rhino line/linx the floor and up 2-3 feet of their vans or a trailer if they are putting a truckmount to protect from chemical spills. You will be happier getting a trailer with a ramp door in the end vs the swing out doors. Hope this helps a little more as well. but like meat said if you are doing this full time save yourself thes struggle and get a well equiped van or box truck.

Thanks
Ofer
8)

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
David and Larry,
Thank you for this awesome information and taking the time. Really helpful.
It looks like I'll have to reconsider if I should buy a trailer or go the used van route.

It is for developing a carpet cleaning business in a new location and I am not sure if I can make it work. It is a very different area, long distances and very different mentality than what I have worked with where I am. So, I am reluctant to buy an expensive rig. If it was for here I'd buy a Sprinter with a good slide in, however, that will set me back about $65,000-70,000 which is a lot of money for an uncertain situation. So it may be that the best way to go is the $15,000-20,000 used carpet cleaning van rout. Another issue is long distance travel with a used van + probably pretty bad gas millage.

I guess things can get a little complicated.

Decisions. Decisions.

Thanks a lot for your help
Ofer

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mikey,
I assume you are referring to the rout you went- Used van + the TNT.
How come you did not buy one of the used deals like on Truckmountdeals that included the van + a slide in for, what I assume would have been far less $$?

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
here is my 2 cents
buy a van
lookin on internet the other day you can get a 06 30000 miles for 12 grand
how can ya go wrong
do'nt put a reel in it and you have room to haul a good bit of stuff in it

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We have an H&H for our TES and it's a nice trailer, dual axles and electric brakes 7X14, drop down rear ramp door & walk through side door. We put in a clear Lexan roof so you don't need a light and it's bright enough to see well in there, you might consider it if you go trailer.

HHTrailer.jpg

I live on gravel and when it's dry it's no biggie you could fly down the roads, but when it's wet and muddy it's a bitch. Soft shoulders and rain washed gully's will be a real pain to navigate with a trailer.

I'd go van and save yourself a major hassle with the trailer.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Well,
This is what makes this board great.
The help and advise you can get from good people who are willing to take the time and give advise with their hard earned experience.
Thank you all very much.

I guess it is going to be a used van.
Ofer

steve g

Name
steve garrett
if you are pulling it with a gas truck plan on 6-7 mpg, if its a diesel then 12mpg, that is with a cummins, maxipads and flowerpukes normally aren't as efficient as the cummins with a load, that is something to think about.

the reason I like a trailer is most of my work is water damage, it allows me to haul debris in the truck bed away from the equipment. however if I mainly did cleaning I would want a van to me its just so much easier getting around, I like the single axle vans with a box on the back that is the same width as the van front, you see plumbers using them alot.

as for trailers wells cargo is the best I have looked at, most trailers look great new, but the wells cargo will last, I use a 6x12 double axle which is about the smallest I can recommend, I am wanting a 16x7 wells cargo however with the options I want its $6300, which isn't much less than a used van can be had for.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ofer,

I thought would point out some of the Positive's of a trailered unit...

1.You could buy a nicer truck & have a duel use for that vehical
2.Cheaper insurance on the trailer
3.Very little maintaince on a trailer
4.A well organized trailer unit...is easier to work out of than a van
5.A well lettered or wrapped trailer is great advertisement
6.If your unit breaks down on the job....you can leave it at the jobsite & get repair parts
7.A 7x14 traler will carry twice as much equipment as a van
8.If you live in a deed restricted community...you can park the trailer off-site
9.There is much more room to service & repair the unit...in a trailer
10.Huge saving's in fuel,repairs,tags,insurance,lifting of equipment,wear on a vehicle
carrying all that weight, & the overall destruction of the van from chemical spills.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
HARPER said:
Ofer,

I thought would point out some of the Positive's of a trailered unit...

1.You could buy a nicer truck & have a duel use for that vehical
2.Cheaper insurance on the trailer
3.Very little maintaince on a trailer
4.A well organized trailer unit...is easier to work out of than a van
5.A well lettered or wrapped trailer is great advertisement
6.If your unit breaks down on the job....you can leave it at the jobsite & get repair parts
7.A 7x14 traler will carry twice as much equipment as a van
8.If you live in a deed restricted community...you can park the trailer off-site
9.There is much more room to service & repair the unit...in a trailer
10.Huge saving's in fuel,repairs,tags,insurance,lifting of equipment,wear on a vehicle
carrying all that weight, & the overall destruction of the van from chemical spills.

Joe, I'm with you on all those 'cept #10

carrying all that weight,

fuel savings..a trailer doesn't go down road on it's own.
You can expect at least 20% less MPG pulling a trailer as opposed to hauling the same load inside the van or truck box.
There is no fuel savings. Indeed, just the opposite.

Wear and tear is also more on a tow vehicle compared to hauling the same load inside.

Tags... you have two sets of tags to buy. one for the trailer and one for the tow vehicle
Ins..tow vehicle and trailer

..L.T.A.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Larry,

You are probably right.... We are just so FLAT here in FL..We don't have to pull up hills...

We just "get-er rollin"...&... carry the tounge weight...

I am SERIOUSLY considering mounting my Prochem 805 in a trailer...

This thing is HUGE...It will take all the floor space in the box truck... :twisted:

Plus it weighs 2400 lbs "EMPTY".... :shock:

09-06-09_1850.jpg

09-05-09_1203.jpg

09-06-09_1854.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
HARPER said:
Larry,

You are probably right.... We are just so FLAT here in FL..We don't have to pull up hills...

you'll still lose plenty MPG, Joe.
It's the inertia involved in pulling a wagon and extra axles down the hi-way

trailer set ups do have some advantages, as most you listed I agree with.

Maneuverability and mileage are the two biggies that make trailers less than best for everyday CCing.
Dedicate to large com with lg parking lots would be fine, but for res, they;d be a down right PITA
trust me

..L.T.A.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Not to mention that unless you have a good spoiler on your pickup, most cargo trailers act like parachutes on the back of your truck. Atleast you won't need breaks in Florida. Just let off the gas and watcher her slow down.

I would look very heavily into a v-nose if you are considering a trailer Harp My next one will definatly be Ved.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I just got our 805 back installed and running in a box.

I have some racks being made for drying equipment.

It's a 5th WDR truck, we don't really need it but it was in the garage just sitting there so I bought a used truck and had it installed.

It will primarily be used for big losses, or long hose runs, the ability to run three wands could come in handy.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Heat?

I just want it to suck.

I think we were getting around 200-220, it was screaming before that and they flew out a Prochem mechanic who worked with our distributor and they spent a day doing some retro changes on the machine to control the temp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom