Need help with carpet stain.

KBRENNY

I had a customer who does a large amount of work with me try to glue down some seams that were pulling up. The carpet is fairly old and needs replacement but they can not afford it right now. They used Gorilla Glue, layed the seams down and then layed a weighted 2x4 on top of it. I had a difficult time getting the 2x4 up without doing any damage to the carpet but now there is the Gorilla Glue that has seeped up from underneath, saturated the carpet fibers and cured. The carpet is commercial, glue down, close loop, nylon.

If anyone has had any luck removing Gorilla glue from carpet please let me know what was used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Kevin,

I did a little research. GG is a polyurethane that uses water to react with isocyanate to set off a chain reaction which both hardens the GG and expands it with CO2.

Acetone; along with denatured alcohol and mineral spirits is a solvent for polyurethane adhesives. So, it may be something to try, taking a lot of care that the carpet is not further damaged. Also be aware that acetone and DA are highly flammable.

See this page, which addresses GG specifically. Although it's not directly on the subject of removal, the writer contacted GG to find out what would soften the glue.

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive9 ... stuck.html

okccarpetman

Try GOOGONE by Unbelievable!!

It work's well on things of that nature. They also have a whole line of spot treatments....
Thats Unbelievable a CORE product

TIP BY JAMES
ABC CARPET CARE LLC
AMERICA'S BEST CLEAN EVERYTIME!!!

TRY IT , IT WORKS!! BUT USE LIGHTLY( DAB ON A WHITE RAG)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kevin;

Polyurethane adhesive is a time-consuming difficult stain.

We have a Seal Remover formulated to remove urethane floor sealers.

I can get you some of that, or the active ingredient used for the urethane component.

It is not acetone, which I think would evaporate too fast, & is extremely flammable.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom