need help with cat pump repair

blaisesdaddy

I have a cat 310 pump that has begun to slowly leak from right around where the head meets the body of the pump itself. The pump still operates, but the pressure is way down. I have not pulled it apart yet. For those of you who have rebuilt these units: do you think I need to replace all the seals, or is it possible to replace only the seal that (I believe) it leaking? Do I need to drain the oil before pulling it apart ? or... do you think maybe the valves need to be replaced too? Any/all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Steve Smith

You do not need to drain the oil.

I would install a complete low pressure seal kit.

Should take care of your leak and restore pressure.

Good luck.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
100_2708.jpg

Look at the oil if it is not a milky white then you are OK and do as Steve says and don't drain it

Seals come in 2 flavors more then likely you can use the low temp ones and be just fine the other type are for much higher temps over 190 if I remember correct

the kit you will need will be similar to the picture

it is not hard to do but I would recommend putting some synthetic grease or some lithium grease on the shaft and the seals as you install so it is not dry when you put it back together.

when you take it apart lay it in the order that you pull it out.......and most important..watch the direction of the seals

good luck

Attachments

• 100_2708.jpg
    100_2708.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 143
Name
steve snail
You guys saved my bacon today.

My pump has slowly been getting weak, and today it shot craps. Printed out Jims post and downloaded and printed the service manual Richard posted. My first rebuild, and it worked!!!

That info paid for my year on the board right there in one shot.

Thanks,

Steve

Greenie

the power of the internet trade association.

we even have a board of directors...the seven dwarves.

and a mascot...Jimmy

Name
steve snail
Doug,

Thanks, you are so right, I felt like a genius all day yesterday using my newly repaired pump! That too shall pass... quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom