Need Help with V Exhaust Diverter

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I dug into the diverter last night and did not find what I was expecting. I will post pictures. The newer truck I had when you took the outside casing off you were exposed to the barrel of the diverter itself when I took the casing off of the 2004 6008 FMI model I was looking at an enclosed barrell. I did grease the jerk of the barrel arm and it took a good 5 squirts of grease however the only way I could see to get into the actual barrel was to disassemble the entire diverter/muffler assembly and my intuition told me that on this model that wouldn' be necessary. The diverter had only stuck one time in my test runs so I think by greasing the barrel arm that this will fix that problem.

Anyone with more experience with this diverter please let me know if I am missing something here.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you want to pull the rod out and take a wire brush and clean the hole and the rod..put a nut on the end of it and grab the nut so you don't mess up the threads and pull..it will be hard the first time but after that with regular maintenance it will slide in and out very easy...

IMG_3488.jpg

get some high temperature grease and coat the rod and the inside of the hole and slip it back in.....

when you put it back together make sure the flap is in the open (up) position.. I use my extension and the weight of the ratchet to hold it in place

IMG_3489.jpg

Make sure that the stick is in the back position and it should just bolt right back up....

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

then add more grease to the zerk....

Don't forget about this little jewel hidden under the center frame

IMG_3263.jpg

make sure the breathing stone is clean ....
this gets its vacuum from a booster pump off the back of the alternator...

IMG_3523.jpg

it pulls 26 inch of vacuum that is more then enough vacuum that it does not have to be under the truck so close to the diverter getting all the dirt and crap plugging it up....

it can easily be moved to the inside of the truck and never have to worry about it again...

IMG_3563.jpg

Once you are done and you start the truck up and the machine is off ...feel the lower HX and see if you have and exhaust coming out..if you do you can adjust the flapper by taking the diverter apart and turning the fork on the end of the vacuum cylinder

BTW.....you don't have to disassemble the entire thing to service it.....

IMG_3487.jpg

BTW again....every body and there brother are going to tell you to just rip it off and replace it...this type is pretty bullet proof...just give it a little TLC and it will last you a long time...it is much cheaper and eaiser to replace a few parts on this then to replace the entire thing....High temp grease is easy to find and last longer......

Name
BradFenstermaker
I second Jim's post.

Mine was stuck big time, a friend and I had to muster all we had to break mine loose.

Clean up that hole for the shaft as best you can. Emory cloth on the stainless shaft will help also.

Yours is probably pretty mucked up with exhaust debri and needs a good cleanin.

Isn't it fun figuring out how all this works. Just about my whole truck has been gone through.

hogjowl

Idiot™
That's what I like about Jim. He can actually type and he'll let you READ what you need to. Even with PICTURES, none-the-less!

Mikey? Mikey wants you to call him so he can talk, talk, talk.

Jimbo

Jim...you have it dialed!

The only thing I noticed on my V was the need for a flexible union between the catalytic converter and the exhaust heat diverter valve...the entire exhaust system should be free to move with the engine movement. The diverter valve's fixed mounting location creates a bind in the exhaust system...so the front of the exhaust moves like it should...the back is a fixed point...and the higher mileage units can suffer some consequences from that.

Here is an example of what I am referring to:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

The Preacher

MArdy better hope he has a guy like Jim around Porkyville or else that V will get sold cheep after the first time it breaks down!!!

i wounder if Doodaddy will ever build a big blower machine thats simple to fix when needed???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom