Need some Carpet Inspector expertise

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Have any of you inspectors ever seen a solution dyed nylon carpet have a dye instability issue?

My guess would be not possible.

What say you?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Read my post from a year ago about a hotel I do. They added on to the building 3 years ago and had a company match the hall carpet. It look very good for a few months but then it started changing colors. Colors got much brighter in traffic lanes. carpet inspector sent by the manufacturer said the carpet needed cleaning. Real smart huh. Then they sent samples to the mill. They came back with detergent residue in the carpet. Even a piece that had never been installed. The mill decided the best they could do was replace the carpet at cost but I should pay that. What a bunch of sht. I just finished cleaning it again.

S

sam miller

MicahR said:
Have any of you inspectors ever seen a solution dyed nylon carpet have a dye instability issue?

My guess would be not possible.

What say you?

Solution dyed olefin! but Nylon is a grey filament with dye applied after the fact and I've personaly never seen a nylon or a polyester / olefin bleed, I ve seen carpets that have been dyed leave excess dye in a recovery tank.

But that would be intresting to Know if they're actually solution dying Nylon???

The Idea is its the same color all the way through the fiber so the filament is made with the color already in it.

As for instability is it fading of color running into something any photo's?

S

sam miller

Damn at least with Olefin You Know how to Identify it from Nylon 6 to 6.6 and solution dyed how can you tell, and is there a acid test or something or just color test in inconspicuos area???

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Two cases I can think of with solution dyed nylon and color issues. In one situation the issue was insufficient UV protection. Color faded too quickly (in about 14 months).

Second case was a print over a solution dyed nylon fiber. The printed part of the pattern cleaned off.

I will say that it is very unusual to have color stability issues with any solution dyed carpet.

Since solution dyed carpet does not go through some of the dye bath / wash / rinse procedure it can have loom oils still on the fibers which appear in tests as detergent residue and cause premature resoiling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom