Need some practical advice ASAP

Can a cat urine soaked carpet be salvaged by applying Killz to the backing and subfloor, replacing the tack-strip and padding, and cleaning with an acid based product? I think it will come out ok.

Should I offer to fix the problem or let the customer buy carpet and pad, and I just seal everything?

What are my chances for success?

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
danielc said:
Can a cat urine soaked carpet be salvaged by applying Killz to the backing and subfloor, replacing the tack-strip and padding, and cleaning with an acid based product? I think it will come out ok.

Should I offer to fix the problem or let the customer buy carpet and pad, and I just seal everything?

What are my chances for success?
"Soaked' to me implies much of the carpet has been saturated and it just gives me the willys thinking about working in there. but that is just me. Wear gloves and a respirator. (there has to be an easier and more pleasant way to make money.)

Island Boy
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Plus by the time you invest that much time and effort in the carpet will it even be remotely cost effective?

On edit: I'm no technical guru but I don't think you want to "apply Killz to the carpet backing". Was that a misprint on your part?

I really want to turn this job down, but it is my number one referral source that sends a couple thousand dollars in work my way each month plus what this lady spends which is a good amount. She needs me to solve this. If I say replace the carpet, she will, but the walls, baseboards, and subfloor all need to be sealed.

If I pull the carpet, pad, and tackstrip, seal the subloor (concrete down and wood up), clean the baseboards, seal the carpet backing (I think it works good), install new pad, re-install the carpet, and clean with urine products, what kind of price are we taking? I would like to just give a sq ft price. I don't have exact measurements yet, but I would estimate around 1200 sq ft of carpet.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
I really want to turn this job down, but it is my number one referral source that sends a couple thousand dollars in work my way each month plus what this lady spends which is a good amount. She needs me to solve this. If I say replace the carpet, she will, but the walls, baseboards, and subfloor all need to be sealed.

If I pull the carpet, pad, and tackstrip, seal the subloor (concrete down and wood up), clean the baseboards, seal the carpet backing (I think it works good), install new pad, re-install the carpet, and clean with urine products, what kind of price are we taking? I would like to just give a sq ft price. I don't have exact measurements yet, but I would estimate around 1200 sq ft of carpet.

You can't be serious, or are you really???

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
Simple question.

Replace the carpet or not?

If you really needed to ask that question, I lost whatever respect I had left for you. Maybe your just having a SOS day. Hopefully, it passes. shiteatinggrin

No doubt replace it. Cleaning wouldn't be an option. I'd show her some samples of carpet and pad. !gotcha!

Name
Lee Stockwell
I think Daniel misunderstands what it takes for a professional to give a property owner bad news without taking ownership of that bad news or losing the customer's future business.

I got to say I am disappointed no one has any confidence in a product they feel will eliminate the odor.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I have seen firsthand a carpet that was SOAKED with urine be saved. I went back a month after I did the job, smelled the carpet, and it was odor free. On that job I just applied killz to the tack-strip, replaced the pad, killz'd the backing (that was the key step), treated with osr, and cleaned. It was a lot of work, but the end result was worth it as it saved the carpet and the homeowner money as well.

She told me she has a cleaning lady that can clean the baseboards and mop the kitchen floors.

Most of the pet damage is near the baseboards.

She wants to have her carpet installers pull the carpet, seal the floor and tackstrip, install new pad, and re-install the carpet. Then I will clean and deodorize the carpet.

Or I can just say replace the carpet, but that will cost a couple thousand dollars more.

There is no insurance claim on a job like this and some people will do anything to save some money.

I am leaning towards telling her to replace the carpet as cat urine is a whole different ballgame than dog urine.

You really should let a pro tackle this job. I think you might want to walk away from this one scooter. You might want to look in your area for a guy that has the abillity to do the job right and still make 10% off the job.

Name
Nate W.
danielc said:
I got to say I am disappointed no one has any confidence in a product they feel will eliminate the odor.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I have seen firsthand a carpet that was SOAKED with urine be saved. I went back a month after I did the job, smelled the carpet, and it was odor free. On that job I just applied killz to the tack-strip, replaced the pad, killz'd the backing (that was the key step), treated with osr, and cleaned. It was a lot of work, but the end result was worth it as it saved the carpet and the homeowner money as well.

She told me she has a cleaning lady that can clean the baseboards and mop the kitchen floors.

Most of the pet damage is near the baseboards.

She wants to have her carpet installers pull the carpet, seal the floor and tackstrip, install new pad, and re-install the carpet. Then I will clean and deodorize the carpet.

Or I can just say replace the carpet, but that will cost a couple thousand dollars more.

There is no insurance claim on a job like this and some people will do anything to save some money.

I am leaning towards telling her to replace the carpet as cat urine is a whole different ballgame than dog urine.

I seriously don't get your posts. You ask for advise, then go on to say you've seen it first hand. Why even make the post then? Toot your own horn? Pat your own back? More props to you if you can eliminate the odor on a piss soaked carpet. It seems like you lack the confidence in your own abilities.

Going back to your other posts made...... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43884&p=488411#p488411

You ask for practical advice. Well, you got it. I wish you the best on your endeavors.

Nate I am just trying to get some feedback.

I have done several bad urine jobs with good success, but not from cat urine.

Richard what do you mean by real pro? I guess you are more qualified since you have the trade secrets DVD series.

I have never attempted this with cat urine. The carpet looks brand new so I undertand the owner wanting to save it, but if it can't be saved then new carpet has to be put down.

So I have made up my mind. The owner can have new carpet installed. Then it is not my problem.

Lee I just went to the bank today to get a home loan. I own 18 apartments, manage almost 500 units, run 18 trucks, have my house paid for, and I need you to recommend someone that can give me a loan to buy a 15k dollar garage built tm. Oh guess what I never even went to the bank today. I made it all up. Now tell me how Upchuck can help me.

Seriously I appreciate all the feedback.

danielc said:
Richard what do you mean by real pro? I guess you are more qualified since you have the trade secrets DVD series.

I got them as a gift. Sold them for $300. :lol: Dude you just don't have a clue. Sub it out and ask for 10%.

F

FB7777

danielc... I have broken bread with you in Nashville but I have to say based on this topic

urine idiot :mrgreen:

Hey it never hurts to ask for some solid feedback.

Part of me thinks I can do the job with good success based on past experiences, but I just did not want to overpromise and under deliver.

I just sent the customer an email recommending replacing the carpet due to the situation, but if she wanted me to try and save the carpet, I would do everything I could with no gurantees.

Thanks for the feedback.

White Collar

Name
Nick Petersen
Hey Daniel, My vendor here was having a real hard time with Cat urine and tried everything with no luck until he tried Bio Modifier mixed with Hydracide.
Ive used it several times with great success.

I dont know if you should walk away or not but if you need something to try on the smell I think those mixed are really good.

TimP

Ok Daniel, here is the skinny

Over 20% of damage to carpeting it's better to replace carpet.

I don't understand why you think sealing the back with paint/kilz is what you're supposed to do, I never heard of that one. Don't see how it would create a barrier since carpet is stretched in and there will be holes/pores once stretched.

Clean and deodorize all floors walls etc then if you're gonna use kilz make sure you put 2 coats on like the instructions say, 1 coat of bin if you want to save labor. Replace tack strip that was contaminated. Flush and flood carpet if under 20% damage with you're restoration carpet deodorizer, replace if over 20%. The rest is self explanitory. It's not that difficult of a process.

You should take an odor class if you're doing these kind of jobs. I took one and haven't really had any customers willing to pay for the whole process.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:

i didn't finish reading all the posts

throw the crap away and stop being a dolt thinking you can save a cat urine "soaked" rag

no, dumping Kilz on backing won't help.
no, using acid won't sheet either.

if you "really" want to fix her problem, then throw it ALL, carpet, pad and tack strip in the DUMPSTER!

thoroughly wash and rinse the floor, base boards, door jambs and walls to a minimum height of cat azz high.
Seal with Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac primer/sealer..accept no substitutes .
If the base board is painted, seal it with the same BIN.
For non painted wood work, use clear Zinsser.
Don't forget to seal the bottoms of the door jambs and doors too...

a sprayer is the fastest AND "best" way to apply it to the base molding, doors/jambs and walls.
You can rent a sprayer from a lot of places .
For at thin as BIN is, you could even get away with a POS Wagner sprayer .
it will be slower than a pro sprayer, but still faster and better than a brush

now go do the right thing and stop pissing the wind (no pun intended)
cause that's what you'll be doing trying to salvage a "cat urine soaked" carpet

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
joeynbgky said:
Maybe i can send one of my 18 trucks down there and one of my 50 techs to help you... :) And Lee can supervise

if one of youz two starts a thread like the one i bounced the other day,
I might have to punch you BOTH in the stomach when i see you ..... :shock:

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom