.net vs a .com

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Using .com as a better url ending for a company url is not just Brian's opinion, it's been studied and proven. Unless someone is clicking on a link to your site, they will always use .com. Unless you've hammered home your alternate they won't take too many side trips before moving on. Nothing unprofessional about using .biz or .net, but your alternate ending means you have to work harder to get people to remember.

PS: In the past I've received a message when someone wanted to use an alternate dot-whatever added to a name I registered. I was given the opportunity to take those alternates first or allow the new registrant to have them. Is this no longer the case?

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Jim said:
. Com....... .net........ .biz....is a standared for Professionalism.......stupidest thing I have ever heard......at the time I set this company up...some one for some unknowen reason had already bought .com........they had no desire to use it nor would they sell it....so I went with .biz..........did not know that because of .biz I am lacking......maybe I need to pull it off my truck...could explain the lack of walk ups...
You all are so funny.

Your customer will go to your Website if they have your URL.

Doesn't matter which dot it is to them.

.Com was the first, so that says some longevity in biz.

Maybe you could go with the newest one - .CO
...almost looks like .CO-M

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
So, having no knowledge of what anybodys website is, do you think people will automatically write down .com like they're too stupid to know there are other possibilities. Granted, .com is the most common but NOT the only possibility. I get the feeling I'm being talked down to when I read posts by the BB gurus.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
any more if your looking for a company ..com... .net...or .biz really don't matter.....all you have to do is type the name....

Screenshot2010-09-22at50938PM.png

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, anyone searching will just type in the name with no url's anyway.

I still think you have the best name for a cleaning company in the business Jim.

When you type a name into google, it has indexed all the content on your site so it will find you almost whether you like it or not. lol

But take a look at the top in my area....notice anything similar?

snipofgoogle.jpg

G

I prefer .com for prestige. It is true you can make any domain make it to the top. But, the experts I listen too think anything other than .com/.org/.net is considered spammy sites and can be harder work to make it to the top.

Name
Lee Stockwell
This situation is similar to what we face with our landline phones for business. In 1970 in my market, Murray KY, the "753" phone prefix quickly identified you as an established local business in the center of our market. We are a university community with a city population of 20,000 and a county population of 40,000. Some of the other prefixes for surrounding rural areas, 492.436, etc, would automatically have been considered second rate for a business.

When the area expanded to two and then three "city" prefixes businesses would try to still get the older "753" prefix for the same reason some now prefer the .com website extension.

However we've noticed especially in the last three years an explosion of both landline numbers and prefixes, as well as an even greater number of customer calls from cellphone prefixes. At first you could easily approximate the cell users location by its prefix, but that distinction is going away fast.

Thus while I still have an "original" landline prefix for my business, I don't think it matters as much any more. I suspect the .com preference will likewise fade with time and new technology.

Thanks,
Lee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom