New check scam

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I have gotten scam texts and emails for years, but recently the scammers who have texted us multiple times sent a real looking cashiers check in a usps priority mail envelope. I was the one to check the PO Box so I knew right off that it was fake, but I sometimes have others get and deposit checks. Had we deposited it, we would have incurred fees from the bank. I just wanted to share this since I am sure some of you might be getting the same fraudulent checks.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have gotten scam texts and emails for years, but recently the scammers who have texted us multiple times sent a real looking cashiers check in a usps priority mail envelope. I was the one to check the PO Box so I knew right off that it was fake, but I sometimes have others get and deposit checks. Had we deposited it, we would have incurred fees from the bank. I just wanted to share this since I am sure some of you might be getting the same fraudulent checks.
If you get a check from someone who doesnt owe you any money, its a scam.

Reactions: Fabpro and SamIam

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Does the person you have hired to retrieve and deposit your checks know all your customers? Mine does not.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
think I got 4 maybe 5 cheques last year? Had 2 so far this year.. only the retirement village people write cheques down here, we're cash or online deposit while on the job

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Thank you for bringing that up clean workz. We do cash the cheques as soon as we get them which is usually weekly. Afterwards, my bookkeeper takes the check stubs and puts them in excel. At that point, we know who has paid and who has not. As I said initially, this is the first time anyone has mailed a fraudulent check so there has been no need to monitor depositing money into our own account. If my bookkeeper had picked up that check and deposited it, we would have incurred fees on top of returning money we thought was ours. Because there are scams like this now, I am trying to warn those like me who might pay others to pick up and deposit the checks to watch out.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
Hack Attackz - That is great that you do not have to deal with old fashioned cheques. I have not figured out a way to take credit cards or online payments without paying a fee. Therefore, I push for cheques or cash.

Reactions: Willy P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Thank you for bringing that up clean workz. We do cash the cheques as soon as we get them which is usually weekly. Afterwards, my bookkeeper takes the check stubs and puts them in excel. At that point, we know who has paid and who has not. As I said initially, this is the first time anyone has mailed a fraudulent check so there has been no need to monitor depositing money into our own account. If my bookkeeper had picked up that check and deposited it, we would have incurred fees on top of returning money we thought was ours. Because there are scams like this now, I am trying to warn those like me who might pay others to pick up and deposit the checks to watch out.
I hold all of my outstanding invoices aside and match them up myself. Then I give the stubs to my bookeeper. The only fraudulent checks I have had were so obvious it was easy to spot them. Good of you to let people know that there are some not so obvious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom