New garage on main road, worth it or not?

West

Name
Clint
I am looking at a piece of property on a major road where I live to possible make it my new garage/shop. Roughly 25,000 cars travel it a day at 40mph. My question to who ever wants to answer is: for those of you out there that do have a carpet cleaning business, did moving to a high visability location increase business or not? Is it worth it? Any help would be great.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Years and years ago I had a store front in a very visible area and we were very busy. It was long ago enough that we didn't know any better to ask how they found us. Fer chame.

I would say if you're going to get a store front then it needs to be as visible as possible.

But there are a couple of ways to think about it.

1. In a less visible area, your rent will be cheaper but you'll get less exposure

2. In a more visible area, your rent will be higher but you'll get more exposure

I think number 2 is better because over time you will get more and more customers and if you can keep them on a repeat basis, they will have paid for your rent themselves.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Are you planning on doing drop off Rugs? Are you able to put nice signage up? Even just a nice looking backup van or trailer with your Logo will get into the subconscious mind of your customers. When your old van dies, make it pretty on the outside and park it in front so it can be seen.

The sign ordinance in my town is ugly so vehicle signs get a lot of use. Even an empty Trailer with your signage will get into the mind. Have a different sign on each side of the Trailer and turn it around and move it so it is different.

Billboards work.

The $20,000 you pay for a lighted computerized sign will get a lot of impressions to your customers.

Great locations are worth a lot. McDonalds used to buy a location within 3 blocks of K-Mart before Wally world ate their lunch.

Visible locations make good investments also.

Rick

Bob Foster

The increase in exposure and resale value would possibly be worth it to go to the more expensive high exposure area.

Another suggestion would be to putt a sign up that you can change the message on weekly. A landmark in my town is a guy that has a visible corner and every week he puts something different up on his sign that's witty or funny. People allways look to see what's up there. Obviously you can put promotions up there too.

I haven't heard of too many people in this business who have regretted buying their shops.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Clint...

It will be the BEST advertising...You have ever done... :!: :!: :!:

We changed locations 9 years ago...
It is our BEST form of advertising...
We get "Walk-up's" to our front door... :shock:

I noticed, That as I would inform the clients where we were located...
"They would interrupt me.." And say.."We know where you are.!".... 8)

You don't have to have ...a building...if your trucks are WRAPPED... :idea:
We..even set out flood lights at night.!!!!
Then the trucks become BILBOARDS... :wink:

CLIENT'S......Love to do business LOCALLY.... :D

01-04-09_1608-1.jpg

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
friend of mine said worse thing he ever did was to buy a building
added 10 grand a month to his overhead
hire some one full time to be there
property taxes
more insurance
added up keep
just to name a few
but i'm sure there is a lot of positives also.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I'm not saying it's a bad idea but for the money you will spend look at what you can get in other advertising media. One of my rules of business is "If you want to be successful look at how others are doing it and copy them" i don't see a lot of successful business' paying high rent for exposure.
Al

Name
Jesse
Consider how much more space you can get for the same money if you get a warehouse.

I met my current landlord for the 1st time 2 weeks ago, had an attitude due to too many vacancies. Now he has 2 more units to rent :wink: . I was trying to decide on a space with exposure or a cheap warehouse. I decided on a 3,750sf warehouse for $100 more then I pay for my current 1240sf. For me the space is going to pay for itself more than the exposure likely would have of exposure. Oh yeah, It's got 5 bay doors, one of them is a double wide.

This bad economy ain't so bad.... Well except for owing 100k more than my homes worth

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I think when my lease is up on my 2400 sq foot 4 garage and office space.. lots of road traffic. Im moving it back to my house. Advertisers come in way to much. Save money stay at home or buy a nice house in the country with some garages

Mikey P

Administrator
I would go for it.

I would also get a big ass bill board out front that I could use in a Picture Of The Day sort of way to attract attention.

$pecials, funny quips, community announcements, congrats to people in the community who went above and beyond and the like...

You could own the town if you did it right.

Joey aren't you paying like 500 per month for your space? A space that size here even in the ghetto would be at least 1500 per month. So to get a nice space that I could actually work in and have visibility in a nicer area would cost me around 2500 per month. That is never happening.

Look at having a space like this. A local cleaner and friend told me he was leasing a space in a nicer area. The space is just a small office behind the main offices. No drive in doors etc. Just an office and maybe enough room to clean a rug. I thought he was nuts paying a grand per month for that. Not so. He has a sign on the corner of a very busy three way stop. People driving to and from work see the sign daily. When he does advertise in the area people know who he is. Everyone in the area and I mean a big area basically knows this company now. All for 1k per month. You can't get those results on tv or radio.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
your right daniel. I go into the office at 7 am and am usually there till 11 pm or midnight. Im never home. there is always something to do. (I find stuff to do) I never get home. I have stuff to do at home lol. I love my office but it keeps me away from home to much. My dogs are at the office all day. Its just hard to keep a house and an office clean and together when your single

joe harper

Name
joe harper
joeynbgky said:
your right daniel. I go into the office at 7 am and am usually there till 11 pm or midnight. Im never home. there is always something to do. (I find stuff to do) I never get home. I have stuff to do at home lol. I love my office but it keeps me away from home to much. My dogs are at the office all day. Its just hard to keep a house and an office clean and together when your single

You and Daniel.....should move in ToGeThEr....Yall would make a CuTe..CouPlE... :p :lol: :lol:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I am looking at a small warehouse myself. I need to get out of the house. I found a medium visibility type place for $600 per month. I do almost all WD so the visibility is not that important to me now. My garage is packed and I'm tired of my work sucking me in 24-7. I'd like to be able to leave the office work at the office and go home.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
$500 bucks around here will get you a shared 150 square feet office.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom