New guy looking to learn.

FredC

Village Idiot
wanabpro said:
Hey everyone!
I currently do hard surface flooring, custom tile and shower installation. It has been great to me and I have done pretty well thus far.
I am ready to start a new venture, some thing that I can grow and have some employees.

I have a few rentals properties. I am going to start a business that basically turns rentals over and gets them ready for the next tenants..

I want to have carpet cleaning as a option. I want to do a very professional job that can stand up to the rest of the competition. I am just learning about carpet cleaning equipment and come here in hope of some knowledge from the pros. As far as equipment, seminars, ect...

There is a great chance that I will be in larger apartment complexes. Right now I do own a 4x8 trailer and a truck.
I am just trying to narrow a system down that is going to benefit me the most..

ANY feed back would be much appreciated!

...................................................................................................................

Wow! Thanks for the great and ok responses! Ha

I own rentals and I'm connected in a very large network of landlords. I know I can build a business that can stream line property turnover and a few other services to make being a landlord less stressful and more efficient.

Personally if I hire anyone to do any job at my rental, it better be good.
I'm not going to start anything half a**ed.

At this point I am not sure on a system that makes the most sense. I was looking at van mounted equipment. I think this might be the most practical for all the items that I would be carrying for other things I will be doing at the properties.

But I have lots of research to do! Then many questions and tons of videos of me working!!! Haha kidding!!

I am up in the Waterloo/cedar falls area.

Miley p
No we haven't met. Thanks for the great info! Tons of questions coming. But now with the in laws.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Yeah this forum is here for Carpet Cleaners Fred.

And you are?

Talk about paranoid. I know for a fact you keep any other SEO or Web designers off this forum as advertisers.

You decide who is a professional and who is not.

We don't get that privilege?

Every other service provider has competitors but your area?

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I bet this post doesn't last five minutes.

FredC

Village Idiot
TomKing said:

And you are?

Talk about paranoid. I know for a fact you keep any other SEO or Web designers off this forum as advertisers.

Tom,

are you having a stroke or something?

Others? I don't offer web design or seo services here. Yes a decision was made a long time ago that this forum would not be allowed to be overrun with seo guys. Like you said.......its a carpet cleaning forum. I understand that you might be a little butthurt your guy doesn't get to fish here.............but let it go.

This is about a guy wanting help starting a business..........not the advertising policies of Mikey's Board LLC

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

And you are?

so are you saying I shouldn't clean hard surfaces? What if I wanted to add house cleaning to my line up? Or powerwashing? I powerwashed 3 balconies on Friday, god help me I should put the powerwashing companies out of business!

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Fred
I think most know there is not a real company I would not help.

I have guys come ride with our techs free of charge.

I spend time on the phone with guys who find this forum and call free of charge.

I free of charge hosted for this forum a local event.

I know you don't care for me but your insulting when you challenge me for asking a legitimate question to a confusing post.

I welcomed the guy if he is legit. I questioned if he is not.

I welcome helping guys who would like to call or help in growing their business.

Who have you helped to start a business in your area of expertise?

Who on this board is providing web service like yours that you are openly sharing how you have grown your business and spent time money and sacrificed to get where you are?

Who are you sending your private information to so they can make money like you do in your SEO business?

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Tom,

are you having a stroke or something?

Others? I don't offer web design or seo services here. Yes a decision was made a long time ago that this forum would not be allowed to be overrun with seo guys. Like you said.......its a carpet cleaning forum. I understand that you might be a little butthurt your guy doesn't get to fish here.............but let it go.

This is about a guy wanting help starting a business..........not the advertising policies of Mikey's Board LLC

Now that you brought it up.
So a legitamet company can't buy advertising here that offers those services.

Chemical companies can. We use those services

CRM companies can. We use those services

Equipment companies can. We use those services.

Marketing companies can. We use those services.

Coaching companies can. We use those services.

SEO / Web Designers can't. But yet we use those services. Why is that? No other industry is black balled.

Only you are the expert. How is that.

FredC

Village Idiot
TomKing said:
Fred
I think most know there is not a real company I would not help.

I have guys come ride with our techs free of charge.

I spend time on the phone with guys who find this forum and call free of charge.

I free of charge hosted for this forum a local event.

I know you don't care for me but your insulting when you challenge me for asking a legitimate question to a confusing post.

I welcomed the guy if he is legit. I questioned if he is not.

I welcome helping guys who would like to call or help in growing their business.

Who have you helped to start a business in your area of expertise?

Who on this board is providing web service like yours that you are openly sharing how you have grown your business and spent time money and sacrificed to get where you are?

Who are you sending your private information to so they can make money like you do in your SEO business?

TomKing said:
Now that you brought it up.
So a legitamet company can't buy advertising here that offers those services.

Chemical companies can. We use those services

CRM companies can. We use those services

Equipment companies can. We use those services.

Marketing companies can. We use those services.

Coaching companies can. We use those services.

SEO / Web Designers can't. But yet we use those services. Why is that? No other industry is black balled.

Only you are the expert. How is that.

Tom,

All those things are great. Good for you.

I'm not sure why you want to make this about me but just so we are clear I do not run an seo/web design business.

I will help people that need it if they ask............usually for free .......I do not offer those services to carpet cleaners. I have a handful of legacy carpet cleaning clients. Again the policy on seo/design/most coaching/copywriting/mlm/etc is for the health of the forum not for my benefit. (like everything else we do reserve the right to offer such things as MB products in the future)

Perhaps you would be better served working on your reading comprehension..........than worrying about my business........that would have avoided this whole tangent..........

hogjowl

Idiot™
I like you Tom

But Fred is correct, ya let one SEO spammed in Anna the next thing you know it's Fat Cat all over again

cept' Hoodie....

He's special.

I'm usually pretty good at interpreting board speak, but bucket head is the exception. Always has been.

Somebody tell me what "SEO spammed in Anna" means.

Preferably in English ...

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
Took me a bit to catch up on that thread!

First off, I DO NOT own, run, or work for a property management company. Nor do I have a sales license to do so. It is not my intention to manage anything. I do want to create a service that makes me more desirable than the competition using the knowledge and trades that I already have.
I have wanted to start a cleaning business for sometime.
I apologize to anyone offended that I would like to use my flooring knowledge as part of that business.

Either way I want to start a damn carpet cleaning business. with a couple extra services..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Don't sweat it Luke. I think Tom may have been trying to look out for me (not sure). Tom went to college in Ankeny. It's one of my target markets. It has created a sort of kinship between he and I. Tom and I are very different people but I can really respect it, if he was trying to look out for his buddy in IA :headbang:.

That being said, I'd help you (to a point) even if you DID live down the street. I'm a big boy who believes strongly in what I do and why I do it. It would be difficult for anyone to move in down the street from me and take customers from us.

You're definitely welcome here Luke! Please use my contact info in my PM and give me a call sometime. We are slow (probably through March) but you're welcome to come ride along with the Kid.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I have a guy who recently started up a cleaning biz, local to me who has needed my help on many occasions. I have lent him my porty and anything else he has needed. I have helped him price out large accounts and answered any of his questions. Hooked him up with my TM mechanic etc. and I feel good about it. We have a big enough market out here that there is plenty of room for both of us. I don't feel threatened by helping others out, and would help anyone who comes to me the best I can. I'm glad to see anyone succeed and I have been helped so much it would be wrong to turn my back on anyone, local or not!
I commend you Russ for being willing to help this guy out as well.

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
No hard feelings from me at all, I completely understand. It is not my intention to try to undercut or steal business from anyone.. It happens to me often in the flooring department, usually by hacks. I'm simply trying to create my own niche in the market using connections that I already have. I really appreciate the willingness to help me out.
I will get in touch with you Russ!

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
No hard feelings from me at all, I completely understand. It is not my intention to try to undercut or steal business from anyone.. It happens to me often in the flooring department, usually by hacks. I'm simply trying to create my own niche in the market using connections that I already have. I really appreciate the willingness to help me out.
I will get in touch with you Russ!
You are smart for doing what you are doing. And I am sure you a man of honor and will show integrity in regards to the situation and not bite the hands of those who help you get started. Good luck in your endeavor!

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
You are smart for doing what you are doing. And I am sure you a man of honor and will show integrity in regards to the situation and not bite the hands of those who help you get started. Good luck in your endeavor!

Thanks Kellie.
Thanks to my parents and grandparents I was taught at a very early age to be honest, hardworking, and giving.
Looking forward to see what the future brings.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It's to all of our benefit to help out new carpet cleaners, even in our local market. I have been recently helping out a Large department store style cleaning service. Giving advice on basic chemistry, staff training and equipment purchases. Why? He is going to do it anyways (new to the business but taking over an existing opportunity) and I would have him and his employees giving good service for a decent price, rather than doing a hack job and giving our industry a black eye. He won't be able to compete with me and as a benefit, I am also getting work from him that he doesn't feel able to do at present. I often help out local carpet cleaners and even share work with them sometimes. It's better that we all get along, than be at each others throats.

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
It's to all of our benefit to help out new carpet cleaners, even in our local market. I have been recently helping out a Large department store style cleaning service. Giving advice on basic chemistry, staff training and equipment purchases. Why? He is going to do it anyways (new to the business but taking over an existing opportunity) and I would have him and his employees giving good service for a decent price, rather than doing a hack job and giving our industry a black eye. He won't be able to compete with me and as a benefit, I am also getting work from him that he doesn't feel able to do at present. I often help out local carpet cleaners and even share work with them sometimes. It's better that we all get along, than be at each others throats.

In my current trade, this is exactly how we operate. I have gotten many jobs from other contractors who were to busy to take more. I have also done the same if I was too busy or the job was just to big for me to get done in a timely manner.
A site just like this was what gave me the confidence and knowledge to get into the rental market. It is priceless.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
So, going back to your original post, you want to clarify what your target market is. If you are looking at cleaning empty suites mainly, there systems for that. Cleaning hallways and common areas of lowrise bldgs., you may want different equipment. want to expand into homes and light commercial, still you might want something a little different. There is not a 1 size that fits all.

wanabpro

Name
luke michael
Right now my target market are single family rental homes. All will be empty. (should be empty) With a few multi units in there. Probably no more than 6 units as of now.
I am pretty sure I can get into the apartment buildings going forward. I have not shared my plan with people that own those buildings yet.

I meet with a land lords association every month. In that room there are over 3,000 rental units. Apartment buildings included of course.
I would love to entertain the idea of light commercial. I know a few guys who have commercial property that I might be able to get hooked up with.

My opinion... Using my "knowledge" literally none..
Start with a smaller truck/trailer mount. Such as the trailer listed on the classifieds. I believe it is the boxerr 421? Run that for awhile and see how business is going. If the apartment buildings become a option for me should I then pick up a portable unit?

This of course is all best case scenario. I'm a positive thinker.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Man you are just asking for it. Rentals, a trailer, small machine. If I were you I'd check my back, there has to be a "kick me" sign taped to you. :winky:

If you can possibly avoid it, I'd avoid the trailer. It will be a royal pain and you'll hate it. Shop for a good used setup, not too many hours on either the van or cleaning unit. Lots of good deals out there.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Personally, I'd be shooting for a well cared for direct drive. Everything is easier when you have the main thing in place. A real truck can make you look more substantial with the right branding on the side too.

wanabpro

Name
luke michael

haha could possibly be! I get what you say about the trailer. I pull one for my flooring and it does get a bit old..
Russ did say that was a smaller unit.
Suggestion on a site to look at vans? I have been on ebay, craigslist and the basic google.. The 20k is a bit out of my reach at this point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom